Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 196435 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #660 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 21:51:36 »

Decided I needed to cut down on the booze and get off my fat arse this year. I am 5 weeks in to one of them couch to 5k things. I have got to the stage where I look forward to going out for a run. I know its a small goal but today I  ran for 15 minutes non stop - unachievable 5 weeks ago that wouldn't have happened. Although I always have a pain in that bit above the ankle at the back of the leg. The less said about cutting down on the booze  the better though

That has to be the real aim.  Get yourself to 5k, and you've achieved something.  Get yourself to 5k at the same time as enjoying it, and you'll have achieved a whole lot more.  For a start, you'll be more likely to stick with it.  Great effort!
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #661 on: Friday, March 5, 2021, 22:18:46 »

So had my bike for a week now. Currently only doing 5 miles a time to get used to the bike as not ridden for over 20 years. Whats the best way to build up distance and stamina? Where i live is really hilly, so want to do a 10 mile ride in an area thats flat to build a bit of distance first off
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #662 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 07:36:29 »

Running, so a different discipline I know, but I’d always considered a mile running uphill to be equivalent to a mile and a half flat - I assume the same basic logic applies on a bike

Things get better but they never get good
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #663 on: Saturday, March 6, 2021, 10:56:26 »

So had my bike for a week now. Currently only doing 5 miles a time to get used to the bike as not ridden for over 20 years. Whats the best way to build up distance and stamina? Where i live is really hilly, so want to do a 10 mile ride in an area thats flat to build a bit of distance first off
Ride more. That's it really.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #664 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:14:18 »

Update on my couch to 5k. 8 weeks in now and running 25 minutes non-stop now. Unimaginable at the start.  I think we have a couple of weeks left before the virtual 5k. I am starting to turn my thoughts to how I maintain this once the course has finished
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #665 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 13:53:23 »

Quote from: tans

if you are not
- sneaking off to the work toilet to put chamois cream up your crack before a ride
- wearing stupid lycra top in the pattern of a skeleton, or DJ or penguin or something
- moaning about car drivers
- moaning about someone you vaguely know nicking your strava KOM even though there is no way they could do that speed
- refer to your cycle buddies as 'the peleton'

then you aren't yet a road cyclist, padwan

Ignore
« Reply #666 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 14:25:31 »

Update on my couch to 5k. 8 weeks in now and running 25 minutes non-stop now. Unimaginable at the start.  I think we have a couple of weeks left before the virtual 5k. I am starting to turn my thoughts to how I maintain this once the course has finished

I just run for 30 mins each time I run now as much as possible. I have no desire to go any further. My problem is I keep getting injured. Gone from hip ache to pinging something behind my knee when bending down the other day. Sign up for parkrun which will kick off again in June. They're 5k runs so you'll be able to keep it up.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 19, 2021, 14:46:04 by Arriba » Logged
Hunk

« Reply #667 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 15:36:51 »

Did my first couch to 5k yesterday, then some more running as I was with people who were not doing it, which made me feel a bit like I was letting the wonderful Michael Johnson down who is my chosen coach, but ah well. Really enjoyed it. Did 4.5 miles all told which was a lot better than I expected to be able to do
Panda Paws

« Reply #668 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 15:40:03 »

If you want to break up the monotony of just doing 5k endlessly, it was recommended to me to break it up in the following per week.

Time trial - 5x 1k runs. Reduce your rest in between each 1k week on week.
5k for pace
Run for time - don't worry about distance, just increase your "long" run by a minute each week.

Also to help with niggles, warm up. I follow this every time now.
Crackity Jones

« Reply #669 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 17:33:02 »

Nice one Hunk. Good job on completing.  I am definitely  wanting to carry on running once this course is finished. 30 minute sessions work well as I can shoehorn into my working day somehow. I'm definitely interested in park run when that starts back up. There seem to be a few near me.
Hunk

« Reply #670 on: Friday, March 19, 2021, 17:43:11 »

Nice one Hunk. Good job on completing.  I am definitely  wanting to carry on running once this course is finished. 30 minute sessions work well as I can shoehorn into my working day somehow. I'm definitely interested in park run when that starts back up. There seem to be a few near me.

Thanks! And good job on yours too, 8 weeks in and still going is a massive achievement
Hunk

« Reply #671 on: Saturday, March 20, 2021, 12:14:43 »

Just finished my second leg of couch to 5k around Coate, and ran passed a group of what I’d estimate to be 15 or so lads, pissed up with beers out like we aren’t in the midst of a pandemic. Utter scum, each and every one of them. Police sniffing round, fingers crossed they get dealt with.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #672 on: Saturday, March 20, 2021, 12:18:42 »

I’m really struggling with shin splints recently when running on any surface that isn’t grass. When I play football it’s absolutely fine unless on 4G / astroturf and running on the road is a killer. I’ve tried resting them but they always end up coming back. Also have shoes designed for people who pronate and it’s still hurting (right shin only). Any tips for people who have had shin splints and come through it?
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #673 on: Saturday, March 20, 2021, 12:53:08 »

I got in to running through couch to 5k, and enjoyed it immensely until a bout of depression left me with no desire to leave the house. I then joined a football club for father's of dead babies (as a support mechanism) and loved it despite my advancing years and not playing 11 a side since Worldnet some 10-15 years ago; even got me back out doing the odd 5k. However, Achilles tendonitis (and the most recent lockdown) put a stop to that. I thought 3 months off would help heal, but I just cannot stop my Achilles from feeling completely bruised. I've tried stretching, strapping, insoles, massage, anti-inflammatories... completely at a loss now. Luckily managing to keep the lost weight off (just) through strict calorie counting and regular short walks, but it's frustrating, especially with training starting up again on 1st April.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Hunk

« Reply #674 on: Saturday, March 20, 2021, 14:18:55 »

I got in to running through couch to 5k, and enjoyed it immensely until a bout of depression left me with no desire to leave the house. I then joined a football club for father's of dead babies (as a support mechanism) and loved it despite my advancing years and not playing 11 a side since Worldnet some 10-15 years ago; even got me back out doing the odd 5k. However, Achilles tendonitis (and the most recent lockdown) put a stop to that. I thought 3 months off would help heal, but I just cannot stop my Achilles from feeling completely bruised. I've tried stretching, strapping, insoles, massage, anti-inflammatories... completely at a loss now. Luckily managing to keep the lost weight off (just) through strict calorie counting and regular short walks, but it's frustrating, especially with training starting up again on 1st April.

Firstly, very sorry to hear the rough time you’ve had. Doesn’t matter that I don’t know you, I really hope you are in or manage to get to a better place.

As for the achilles, if it’s affecting you day to day, whether running or not, would a trip to the GP and potential surgery be worthwhile? Has that crossed your mind?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] 46 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: