Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195234 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #645 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:06:12 »

After completing couch to 5k recently I've kinda hit the wall. I've got a niggly pain above my left hip which aches quite badly during/after running and is always a bit tender(feels muscular)and my right hip itself really aches when running. Last couple of runs I've had to stop during or cut short. Think I might have to find something else and definitely won't be coming out of football retirement ( the kid in me foolishly thought I could still do a job for a team)
What's my options, cycling I guess or swimming. Tried a Joe Wicks workout this morning so will do some more of those for sure. I want to maintain a healthy lifestyle
As everyone else has said, stretching to build flexibility is going to be the key here. Rest for a week or so to give it chance to recover, then make sure you're doing proper stretches in your warm-up before you run. And I think PP is right about the hip flexor too, so look for hip flexor warmup stretches on YouTube etc and incorporate those into your warm-up. I'm assuming you are doing a warm-up, if not that's probably the answer right there.
Panda Paws

« Reply #646 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:20:06 »

You'll also get to enjoy the feeling of the first deep lunge stretch into a troublesome hip flexor which, quite frankly, is the best feeling the world.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #647 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:27:27 »

Agree. Hip flexor stretches feel amazing.

In terms of other forms of exercise, my mobility has never been better since regularly exercising with kettlebells.
Panda Paws

« Reply #648 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 12:31:45 »

Agree. Hip flexor stretches feel amazing.

In terms of other forms of exercise, my mobility has never been better since regularly exercising with kettlebells.

I'm on a mega weight loss journey (which sounds wanky but i couldn't think of another way to describe it) and my PT focuses almost entirely on strength work. Very little cardio in my sessions, and yet it works, so long as I move a lot elsewhere.

The strength work has now enabled me to run without pain for the first time in 5 years. Doing 7/8k without batting an eyelid and without my knee crippling me for days after.

I never realised how important the muscles around our joints are for everything when it comes to movement.

TL;DR - YouTube some strength exercises that over time will help with your dodgy hip.

Ignore
« Reply #649 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 13:45:15 »

Thanks for the advice all. Lots for me to look at there. I have walked before running( how couch to 5k works) but think the exercises mentioned may help. For now I'll lay off the running for a bit to try to shift this aching.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #650 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 14:45:16 »

Just bought a bike, first time ridden for about 20 years.

Only done two rides of short distances, and the old gooch area is a bit sore even with padded shorts

Anything i can do to stop this or will it get used to it?
Panda Paws

« Reply #651 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 14:46:15 »

If it's anything like spinning, you'll get used to it!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #652 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 14:57:22 »

I'm on a mega weight loss journey (which sounds wanky but i couldn't think of another way to describe it) and my PT focuses almost entirely on strength work. Very little cardio in my sessions, and yet it works, so long as I move a lot elsewhere.

The strength work has now enabled me to run without pain for the first time in 5 years. Doing 7/8k without batting an eyelid and without my knee crippling me for days after.

I never realised how important the muscles around our joints are for everything when it comes to movement.

TL;DR - YouTube some strength exercises that over time will help with your dodgy hip.
To add to this: core, core, core. Running without a strong and stable core is basically the equivalent of trying to cycle on a shaky old cycle that's falling to bits on a bumpy road without suspension, you're just going to fuck your frame up which is why you get loads of hip/knee/ankle/etc injuries.
Panda Paws

« Reply #653 on: Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 15:01:14 »

Get yourself an exercise band and youtube a pallof press.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #654 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 06:28:19 »

Just bought a bike, first time ridden for about 20 years.

Only done two rides of short distances, and the old gooch area is a bit sore even with padded shorts

Anything i can do to stop this or will it get used to it?
Depends on the shorts, whether you wear anything under them or not, the saddle, the saddle angle and the size of your 'sit bones'. Could also just be you will get used to it.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #655 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 09:31:57 »

Depends on the shorts, whether you wear anything under them or not, the saddle, the saddle angle and the size of your 'sit bones'. Could also just be you will get used to it.

He'll break it in eventually!

Funny you mention seat angle, the bike I use on my turbo I have used for years with no saddle problems (although would get uncomfortable after probably 80+ miles so it was so rare it wasn't a problem). However in last month or so been getting really bad pain in my backside (sort of Coccyx area) from it, was faffing in garage the other day and put a spirit level on it and it had tilted forward, barely conceivable by the naked eye but obvious with a level, adjusted it yesterday (what a sodding faff that was) so hopefully will be better now. 
Crackity Jones

« Reply #656 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 13:04:06 »

Decided I needed to cut down on the booze and get off my fat arse this year. I am 5 weeks in to one of them couch to 5k things. I have got to the stage where I look forward to going out for a run. I know its a small goal but today I  ran for 15 minutes non stop - unachievable 5 weeks ago that wouldn't have happened. Although I always have a pain in that bit above the ankle at the back of the leg. The less said about cutting down on the booze  the better though
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #657 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 15:48:24 »

Decided I needed to cut down on the booze and get off my fat arse this year. I am 5 weeks in to one of them couch to 5k things. I have got to the stage where I look forward to going out for a run. I know its a small goal but today I  ran for 15 minutes non stop - unachievable 5 weeks ago that wouldn't have happened. Although I always have a pain in that bit above the ankle at the back of the leg.
Do some of these before you run, will help warm up the calf/achilles

https://www.healthline.com/health/achilles-tendon-stretch
Crackity Jones

« Reply #658 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 16:57:46 »

Thanks PaulD. Due to go on my next run Friday.  I will try those beforehand

Ignore
« Reply #659 on: Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 17:53:46 »

Decided I needed to cut down on the booze and get off my fat arse this year. I am 5 weeks in to one of them couch to 5k things. I have got to the stage where I look forward to going out for a run. I know its a small goal but today I  ran for 15 minutes non stop - unachievable 5 weeks ago that wouldn't have happened. Although I always have a pain in that bit above the ankle at the back of the leg. The less said about cutting down on the booze  the better though

Nice one. It's a great programme and it worked for me. The app is good I thought. Michael Johnson was my pick for coach. You'll feel amazing when you smash 30mins.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: