Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195244 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #600 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 15:14:30 »

Cheers chaps.
I don’t think it’s plantar fasciitis, the doctor (over the phone mind) said it sounds like tendonitis.

I do need to get some better running trainers, is it best to have them fitted by using a shop that has the treadmill etc?
I should also book myself in for some physio really.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #601 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 15:44:06 »

I do need to get some better running trainers, is it best to have them fitted by using a shop that has the treadmill etc?
Yes. Run in Old Town will do gait analysis for you, they charge either 10 or 20 quid (sorry can't remember off hand) but with the charge waived if you buy a pair of shoes off them. They're not the cheapest for the actual shoes but if we don't support small independent running shops then we won't have any and you can't rely on getting fitting/gait analysis advice from SportsDirect (some of the staff there are really helpful, but by accident rather than company policy and certainly not thanks to any training from SD).

Disclaimer: I don't buy every pair of running shoes from small independents because I can't afford to but I try to get every 3rd or 4th pair (I get through quite a few)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #602 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 15:50:45 »

Yes. Run in Old Town will do gait analysis for you, they charge either 10 or 20 quid (sorry can't remember off hand) but with the charge waived if you buy a pair of shoes off them. They're not the cheapest for the actual shoes but if we don't support small independent running shops then we won't have any and you can't rely on getting fitting/gait analysis advice from SportsDirect (some of the staff there are really helpful, but by accident rather than company policy and certainly not thanks to any training from SD).

Disclaimer: I don't buy every pair of running shoes from small independents because I can't afford to but I try to get every 3rd or 4th pair (I get through quite a few)

Cheers Paul, how much are we talking roughly for the trainers?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #603 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 16:01:43 »

Last time I bought a pair in Run they were around a ton, IIRC. Like I say, a little steep, although tbf the actual pair I got weren't a whole lot cheaper online.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #604 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 16:09:34 »

I use Prodirect running or Sportshoes (.com)
If you look on the sportshoes site you can do your own feet test to see what type of shoe you need. (flat foot or support etc) https://www.sportsshoes.com/support/running_articles/

But if local to Swindon centre then maybe use Runin in as mentioned and ask for some advice.

But you do get what you pay for. My price range from over the years been from £65-£180. All Depends on how serious you want to get and have a decent cushion sole.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #605 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 16:17:10 »

I use Prodirect running or Sportshoes (.com)
If you look on the sportshoes site you can do your own feet test to see what type of shoe you need. (flat foot or support etc) https://www.sportsshoes.com/support/running_articles/

But if local to Swindon centre then maybe use Runin in as mentioned and ask for some advice.

But you do get what you pay for. My price range from over the years been from £65-£180. All Depends on how serious you want to get and have a decent cushion sole.
When I'm ordering online Sportsshoes.com are excellent, they do a good range of last year's stock so shoes that were 100 quid 9-12 months ago for a lot less. I've had a few 40 quid bargains from them that have been brilliant. startfitness.co.uk are also worth a look, they usually have some decent shoes in. But I knew what I was looking for because of the advice I got from Run (https://runswindon.co.uk/)
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #606 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 07:29:27 »

I paid £120 for a pair of Brooks Ghosts form Run - they are like wearing slippers they are so comfy.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #607 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 07:48:11 »

Oh and while we're all getting carried away talking about shoes (there's a surprise on a running thread!), you probably should still see the physio first Quagmire. Shoes can help alleviate the problem, and possibly prevent it from reoccurring but they won't fix it by themselves
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #608 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 19:01:30 »

I paid £120 for a pair of Brooks Ghosts form Run - they are like wearing slippers they are so comfy.

+1 fro the Brookes Ghost.  Excellent shoe which Ive used since first getting a proper pair.  Did once have the Nike pegasus which felt very similar but was a little more flimsy around the ankle.  And I ran a bad time in Paris in them so blamed the shoe (obviously nothing to do with the runner) and went back to the Ghost.

Never knowingly overstated.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #609 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 19:04:01 »

Oh and while we're all getting carried away talking about shoes (there's a surprise on a running thread!), you probably should still see the physio first Quagmire. Shoes can help alleviate the problem, and possibly prevent it from reoccurring but they won't fix it by themselves

Yeah, I have thought this mate - I’m going to try get in with a physio next week, and then I will get over to the place you suggested and get some decent trainers.
Thanks for your help chaps, much appreciated.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #610 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 01:39:29 »

Hope you get sorted Quaggy.

Not running but hiking/walking. I find that regardless of distance, I can keep my pace fairly sustained. This doesn't seem to matter how much gear/pack weight I have or a high or low total ascent/cumulative gain either. I also know that I can push my pace much further if I wanted to. I don't believe I've reached my true optimum average pace (usual walking/hiking avg is c3.75-4.25mph but I've achieved 4.6mph avg previously), yet one thing I can't seem to do is regulate that pace downwards too much. Which I know is important for the longer distances I am prepared to go.

I hadn't done a longer hike for about a month but I did about 11miles in 3hrs (3.66mph). It was almost as if I had no break at all with it only a smidge below my lower avg.

What can I do (because I feel runners/joggers will know how more so) to bring my pace down, when say doing a 26 or 50 mile hike? And whilst "just slow down" might seem the obvious answer, I seem incapable of slowing my pace below say 3.5mph once I get into my stride. My "best avg" has been 4.6mph so maybe I should concentrate on getting my avg back to there and then I could use that 1mph as my personal regulator for managing stamina and technically "slowing down"?

I genuinely don't know, so any ideas would be great.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #611 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 06:02:35 »

Get a watch that tells you how fast you’re going and check it regularly

Things get better but they never get good
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #612 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 06:40:36 »

Yeah GPS watch and set the display to total average. I use a years old tomtom that was gifted to me by a friend. Literally any running/sports watch will do.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #613 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 06:41:48 »

Get a short girlfriend who will give timely reminders such as, "my legs aren't as long as yours, can you bloody slow down?"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #614 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 07:02:33 »

Yeah GPS watch and set the display to total average. I use a years old tomtom that was gifted to me by a friend. Literally any running/sports watch will do.
why total average?

well it is useful, horses for courses, etc.

but I found per mile splits/pace more useful especially in longer runs. so easy to set off too fast at the beginning - especially in a race/event
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: