Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 47   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Running and General Health Thread  (Read 195222 times)
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Saturday, April 27, 2019, 11:00:58 »

Anyone doing London Marathon this year?

My continued mid life crisis has resulted in me in doing a few little marathon in the last couple of years.  This year Im doing 5 marathons for Shelter trying to raise 8k for the homeless.  Tomorrow is my 3rd marathon this month.  Manchester followed by Brighton the next week was a bit of a daft move.

Anyway, had a week off so it should hurt as badly tomorrow.  If any of you are feeling generous please do sponsor me here

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-portal/fundraiserPage?pageId=966171

The shelter running shirt is a lovely red and white which makes me feel at home, though it is a little tight around my still ample gut. 

Yeah, I'll chip in tomorrow when sober.
Very good cause.

The London Marathon isn't quite the spectacle that it was for the viewer, once the BBC stopped showing the "wobblers" a few years back.
In today's blood thirsty society I'm surprised that big corporations haven't taken control in order to spice up these events.
Getting rid of the last 100 stragglers (including any roving reporters) after every mile would inject a bit of much needed pace into the event.
People in diving suits and grannies over 95 would be exempt from extermination.

Good luck anyway.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Saturday, April 27, 2019, 12:03:35 »

Thanks Bob.

I reckon I might be safe.  London does attract a good deal of people even slower than me.  When you say 'get rid of' are we talking shootings?  Sounds good to me.

Never knowingly overstated.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 10:22:57 »

Anyone signed up for the Swindon Half on September 22nd? (https://www.newswindonhalf.co.uk/)

Did the first year of the new course in 2017 but missed last year, hoping to beat my time from last time around (1:41) at least and hopefully get well into the 30s.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 10:24:34 by Nemo » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 10:27:05 »

No.

Knee injury/'arthritis' for last 14 months. CAT scans, injections and the consultant next month. Would be happy to walk around without pain at this stage.

Plus, new course looks dull.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:34:16 »

Plus, new course looks dull.
It looks like someone's drawn a pair of balls across the town centre mainly:
https://www.newswindonhalf.co.uk/half-marathon/route/
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 14:44:38 »

It looks like someone's drawn a pair of balls across the town centre mainly:
https://www.newswindonhalf.co.uk/half-marathon/route/

Wait till you see the full marathon course...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 17:08:36 »

I can't see anything wrong with that course.  Passes through plenty of residential areas, which is what you want.

I'm plodding round the Wimbledon Half this weekend at my usual 10 min/mile.  I'm dead slow, but still enjoy a good half.  Training has consisted mainly of running home (to Farnborough) from work (Bracknell).  Ten mile route that takes you through Swinley Forest...which is usually deserted.  I love that section.  Marvellous way to end the day.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Thursday, May 9, 2019, 17:10:30 »

must be be, I liked the hills and the countryside
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Friday, May 10, 2019, 18:36:50 »

Anyone signed up for the Swindon Half on September 22nd? (https://www.newswindonhalf.co.uk/)

Did the first year of the new course in 2017 but missed last year, hoping to beat my time from last time around (1:41) at least and hopefully get well into the 30s.

Ill be there, always a good course and finish this. Smiley

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #474 on: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 18:35:03 »

I started running again this year and starting to build up my distance - I've done 13km runs the last two weeks. One thing though, I keep getting blood blisters on the inside of the ball on my left foot. I managed to get the last one off last week and have rubbed down the callous etc but got a new one today that is even bigger.

I'm not going to pop it or anything but interested in preventing it from happening again. I don't use 'proper' running socks but I have decent shoes in good condition. Any tips or recommendations, particularly from the longer distance folk?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 18:48:35 »

Are they hurting at all?  I learnt to live with it.  My toes are fucked.  I used to have toenails.  The blisters between the toes are just another reason to not wear sandals.

Never knowingly overstated.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 19:02:00 »

I started running again this year and starting to build up my distance - I've done 13km runs the last two weeks. One thing though, I keep getting blood blisters on the inside of the ball on my left foot. I managed to get the last one off last week and have rubbed down the callous etc but got a new one today that is even bigger.

I'm not going to pop it or anything but interested in preventing it from happening again. I don't use 'proper' running socks but I have decent shoes in good condition. Any tips or recommendations, particularly from the longer distance folk?
Blisters are caused by rubbing (I guess you know that Smiley )
1) Do your shoes fit properly? All very well them being decent shoes in good condition, but if they don't fit properly, they'll rub
2) Are you lacing them tight enough/too tight? Using the ankle lock hole when lacing (if your shoes have them) may help
3) Might be worth getting some double-walled anti-blister running socks. Opinions vary as to their effectiveness - those that use/need them swear by them, others don't rate them at all.
https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hil164/hilly-twin-skin-anklet-%7E-ss19/
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #477 on: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 19:38:36 »

Cheers, pretty sure the shoes fit alright. I got them fitted in Run with gait analysis etc. Maybe they aren't tight enough, I do like them fairly loose.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Sunday, July 21, 2019, 19:40:28 »

get some decent socks. 13km is a long way on shit socks

hopefully your feet will toughen up a bit over time.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Monday, July 22, 2019, 05:47:10 »

A trick that I was taught by a Marine during my days stomping across hills was to cut the feet off some particular slippery tights and put these in between feet and socks hence reducing the friction. Works wonders in a pair of combat boots, but never tried it in running shoes.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 47   Go Up
Print
Jump to: