Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 70   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFL  (Read 194411 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:36:19 »

Forgive the pretentiousness but I've refrained from seeing NFL at Wembley as it's not going to be the same as the 'American fan experience' but I've been given a free ticket for the 49ers/Jaguars game later this month so I'll go to that.

When I went to see the NHL at the O2 it was pretty similar to that of watching an NHL game in the USA/Canada. Well the "show" itself was.

If you mean the fans themself, well yeah there wasn't a home team so there was no partisan support. Then again I've always found American fans a bit dull compared to a (good/big game) British crowd.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:36:31 »

I just loved the name the Cincinnati Bengals (and probably the tiger strip helmets as well :gay:) but didn't think any more about it until 85 when C4 started showing NFL games (you sure they were showing it in 82 donkey??)

Pretty sure.  Too Cool

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1308139/Channel-4-live-American-football-Sunday-nights.html

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:38:14 »

With the franchise system in American football, what happens if your team ups sticks and leaves? Do you follow them in their new incarnation, follow the next nearest team, or nobody at all?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:38:55 »

I went to a Jets game when I went to NY last year, the stadium was impressive.

Not made the new stadium, only the old one - the dump in the swamp.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:39:40 »

When I went to see the NHL at the O2 it was pretty similar to that of watching an NHL game in the USA/Canada. Well the "show" itself was.

If you mean the fans themself, well yeah there wasn't a home team so there was no partisan support. Then again I've always found American fans a bit dull compared to a (good/big game) British crowd.

Well I'm going now so happy to be proved wrong.

NHL was good fun when I saw the Bruins play. The Dropkick Murphys played some kind of shows too. Huzzah.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:52:27 by Costanza » Logged
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:40:50 »

I follow Pittsburgh Steelers. Got given the jersey at 8 years old by an American aunt. Best NFL team in history so I believe  Hmmm
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:41:27 »

Just a minute, hockey doesn't have a half time Smiley
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:42:25 »

Just a minute, hockey doesn't have a half time Smiley

Perhaps they just started playing...!?!

Either way, it happened... Probably just at Full-Time then

Smiley
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:44:13 »

Forgive the pretentiousness but I've refrained from seeing NFL at Wembley as it's not going to be the same as the 'American fan experience' but I've been given a free ticket for the 49ers/Jaguars game later this month so I'll go to that.

Exactly the same reason I've had no intention in going until the Falcons had a game there, next season as it happens.

Obviously for people who haven't seen a game before then its great but I'd just be comparing it to the real gameday experience in the States. I can't see it matching up in the slightest mainly due to the neutral makeup of the majority of the crowd and the general sport tourist feel to it.

That definitely sounds pretentious!

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:46:51 »

I follow Pittsburgh Steelers. Got given the jersey at 8 years old by an American aunt. Best NFL team in history so I believe  Hmmm

Green Bay may have something to say about that (most NFL Championships), and Chicago have won the most NFL games.

(But, yeah, 6 Superbowls is bloody impressive).

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 20:56:56 »

The Cheeseheads are the nearest they've got to a football style crowd. Green Bay is only a small place by American standards too, 300,000 or so - makes their achievements all the more impressive then!

Talking of places, about time Los Angeles had a franchise again. They'd be seriously peeved if a franchise was granted to London, which has been mooted.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 21:00:20 »

The Cheeseheads are the nearest they've got to a football style crowd. Green Bay is only a small place by American standards too, 300,000 or so - makes their achievements all the more impressive then!

Talking of places, about time Los Angeles had a franchise again. They'd be seriously peeved if a franchise was granted to London, which has been mooted.

Fans owned as well (I think).  And yes, I don't know too much about it, but LA not having a franchise is weird...especially as they had two!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 21:02:03 »

You should watch a Seattle home game, no home crowd comes close to the noise they make.
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 21:04:39 »

You should watch a Seattle home game, no home crowd comes close to the noise they make.

Apparently so...

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/loudest-crowd-roar-at-a-sports-stadium/

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Thursday, October 10, 2013, 21:38:21 »

49ers fan from the original C4 days, just before they were regular top dogs alongside the Cowboys.  The fun with NFL is that you know a shit spell has to come thanks to the draft and trade systems in place.  Oddly, watched a few baseball games live but never NFL - all that is going to change in 2 weeks time when I'll be in Miami to watch the Dolphins take on the Bengals.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 ... 70   Go Up
Print
Jump to: