Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 70   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: NFL  (Read 194492 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 08:14:03 »

Is the Patriots fan thing solely because it's new 'england'?
5 Superbowl appearances in the last 10 years helps as well (winning 3 between 2002 and 2005)
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 08:28:55 »

Cowboys are the most hated (and most liked at the same time), the Jets seem to the rival the Cowboys these days in the hatred stakes so its quite good to see them being one of the worse teams in the league right now.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 10:40:57 »

Went last night, I've wanted to see Brady live for ages and was on hols in 2009 so didn't manage to see him then.

Overall it was a good day out, Tailgate was awesome and the game was good albeit one sided for the last three quarters.

I really want to get to a game in the states.
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2012, 10:42:54 by mrverve » Logged
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 18:03:29 »

How are the Jets doing donkey? Wink

As you know...fucking awful.  Yesterday was so far removed from anything approaching competence it was shocking.  I'm looking forward to next week...bye week - yay!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 18:18:02 »

Seems to be a case of when and not if we'll have an NFL team in London. Reckon it would do ok though the extra revenue it would generate for the NFL as a whole means capacity crowds probably aren't a necessity.

Would be interesting to see what happens if they linked up with a football club, so maybe an Arsenal branded team playing at the Emirates. Happens in other countries, think some clubs in Spain get involved in other sports. Whilst the hard core fans probably wouldn't be interested it could appeal to the day trippers and the armchair fans.

Everyone seems to be a Patriot fan nowadays. I've been sort of following them for 25 years, back when they were shit.

So you'll remember the snow plough incident then ?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 19:17:25 »

Went last night, I've wanted to see Brady live for ages and was on hols in 2009 so didn't manage to see him then.

Overall it was a good day out, Tailgate was awesome and the game was good albeit one sided for the last three quarters.

I really want to get to a game in the states.
Do it. Not knocking the London game but it's nothing like seeing the real thing where you have actual home fans and proper tail gating.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 19:29:34 »

So you'll remember the snow plough incident then ?

Bit before my time, I started following them in the mid to late 80's. Followed them quite closely for some time but nowadays I'll just check the results from time to time and occasionally watch a televised game. Think it got a bit boring when they started winning everything, more fun when they were shit.

Worth going to a game if you're over there, all the US sports are totally different from a spectator point of view. Went to a Broncos game in the middle of a snow storm, only time I've ever heard a stadium announcer tell the crowd to stop throwing snow balls on to the pitch. Got to see the Nuggets and Red Sox play as well.
Abrahammer

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 19:50:13 »

Do it. Not knocking the London game but it's nothing like seeing the real thing where you have actual home fans and proper tail gating.

Totally agree, whilst the one London game I went was enjoyable the 2 games I went to were in the US were brilliant.

Obviously the atmosphere is a lot better when you are surrounded by home fans as opposed the the random mixture of fans the London game attracts.

Then there is college football which is on a whole different level and makes NFL crowds look rather tame and quiet
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 20:18:24 »

Obviously the atmosphere is a lot better when you are surrounded by home fans as opposed the the random mixture of fans the London game attracts.

Think that's exactly it. Went to one of the NHL games in the O2, and to be honest the "show" was pretty much the same as it was in San Jose, Dallas and Toronto. But the crowd largely didn't care who won.

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 22:30:32 »

Bit before my time, I started following them in the mid to late 80's. Followed them quite closely for some time but nowadays I'll just check the results from time to time and occasionally watch a televised game. Think it got a bit boring when they started winning everything, more fun when they were shit.

Worth going to a game if you're over there, all the US sports are totally different from a spectator point of view. Went to a Broncos game in the middle of a snow storm, only time I've ever heard a stadium announcer tell the crowd to stop throwing snow balls on to the pitch. Got to see the Nuggets and Red Sox play as well.

I used to go and watch Patriots games every year in the late seventies and early eighties, as my brother used to play for them (John Smith, the "snowplough guy")
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Monday, October 29, 2012, 22:43:51 »

I used to go and watch Patriots games every year in the late seventies and early eighties, as my brother used to play for them (John Smith, the "snowplough guy")

Just read about the Snowplow Game after seeing your post. Great gamesmanship Smiley

Your brother sounds half decent too!

; he retired after the 1983 season as the second-highest scoring player in Patriots history, behind Gino Cappelletti.

How did it all come about then, did you move to the US of A.

Or have I just been wooshed?
« Last Edit: Monday, October 29, 2012, 22:46:08 by Batch » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 09:10:30 »

Just read about the Snowplow Game after seeing your post. Great gamesmanship Smiley

Your brother sounds half decent too!

How did it all come about then, did you move to the US of A.

Or have I just been wooshed?

We lived in Oxford, and both my brothers were in the Swindon youth team. John had a powerful shot, and after playing one game for Swindon first team, he was spotted by an American Football scout, and offered a trial with NY Jets. They signed him as a kicker, and immediately traded him to the Patriots. He always says that the first game of American football he ever saw, he played in it, but I think he may be exagerating a bit.

The rest of the family stayed here, but he used to fly us out every Christmas for a few weeks to watch him.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 09:16:04 »

Totally agree, whilst the one London game I went was enjoyable the 2 games I went to were in the US were brilliant.

Then there is college football which is on a whole different level and makes NFL crowds look rather tame and quiet
College stuff is a lot more 'blue collar'. The reason being that tickets for college games are plentiful and cheap. To get $20 'nose bleed' tickets for the Broncos I had to pay $100. Ticketmaster did 'official scalping' as all of the tickets at the stadium belong to season ticket holders, who sell back individual game tickets. Ticketmaster then made a fortune flogging them - I never understood the difference between what they did and what prosecutable scalpers did outside the stadium?

At NFL games there is always a 'rowdy' area, but at college games that stretches around the ground. I've done the CFL Colts (pre-Ravens), Air Force, Navy and Broncos. Brilliant atmosphere, especially if you partake in the tailgate parties beforehand (Watched a massive crowd punch up at the CFL game!) . For Navy and Air Force, there is a large section of the ground given over to a band and uniformed Navy/Air Force members. Each time they scored, the squaddies had to pile onto the pitch and do as many press ups as the team had points on the board. Really funny when I saw Air Force run rampant over one team and the squaddies having to do increasing amounts of press us as Air Force racked up 50 odd points!

Agree with the posts about NHL. Have done Caps, Sens & Avalanche. Same is true of MLB, where I've done Orioles, Rockies & Astros. Everything is built the same and the 'product' is presented in the same way at the stadium and on the local TV.

When I was first in DC, there was a cable channel called HTS (Home Team Sports) that gave you all the minutiae on the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA franchises in the local area. Wall to wall sport 363 days per year - Bit of trivia: The only day there isn't any major league sport in the US is the day before Thanksgiving.

Oops! Sorry, I'll get my coat...............

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 09:16:39 »

We lived in Oxford, and both my brothers were in the Swindon youth team. John had a powerful shot, and after playing one game for Swindon first team, he was spotted by an American Football scout, and offered a trial with NY Jets. They signed him as a kicker, and immediately traded him to the Patriots. He always says that the first game of American football he ever saw, he played in it, but I think he may be exagerating a bit.

The rest of the family stayed here, but he used to fly us out every Christmas for a few weeks to watch him.

Pretty bloody amazing story that, never really thought of American Football scouts being over here in what, the early 70s? Must have seen him on C4 in the 80s when I was into American Football (go Bears!).

Abrahammer

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 09:28:35 »

Clive Allen spent a season as the Kicker for the London Monarachs once he gave up footy.

Think Martin Johnson gave the NFL a try as well at one point but failed and Dwain Chambers spent some time with in NFL Europe team trying to be a WR while serving his drugs ban
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 70   Go Up
Print
Jump to: