Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 343   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Color Teevee Programs  (Read 1198157 times)
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #720 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:24:50 »

Sorry, I should have said the last episode of the first series!! I believe there are 4 in total? I have the first 2 series on DVD. I assume it goes downhill after series 1 as most of these tend to do?

People disagree, but I found it did, yes, although not by much. Series 5 is still better than almost all other series 1's of other programs.

As I said before, the writer of this made Generation Kill after The Wire so give that a watch if you find it.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #721 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:28:46 »

People disagree, but I found it did, yes, although not by much. Series 5 is still better than almost all other series 1's of other programs.

As I said before, the writer of this made Generation Kill after The Wire so give that a watch if you find it.
I think season 3 or 4 got hit by the writers strike so wained a little - overall I loved watching every night when t was on BBC2 a few  years ago
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #722 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:45:44 »

I think all of the series are brilliant, particularly 1 and 4. I'm with Samdy on this, it's a weird feeling knowing that there will be no more Wire as you approach the end of series 5 and although it's good to watch again it's never the same.

I need to check out Generation Kill, has anyone else been watching Treme? Another program from David Simon and not so different from the Wire in terms of the politics etc. I've got The Corner to watch but haven't got round to it yet.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #723 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:47:53 »

I started watching Treme a while back but found it slower than The Wire to get into.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #724 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:55:41 »

Once i'm done with Breaking Bad (halfway through season two), I might give The Wire another go. I've attempted it a couple of times but gave up after a couple of episodes, but everyone seems to say it's brilliant, so will persevere with it.

Having said that, people were raving about Community, I gave up on that halfway through season two.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #725 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:00:18 »

Treme isn't that slow, I think it's just that there are so many sub-plots going on simultaneously that it feels as though things take a while to develop or reach a resolution.

It also stars everyone's favourite recovering heroine addict Harley from The Wire/Steve Earle.
Barry Scott

« Reply #726 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:02:39 »

Once i'm done with Breaking Bad (halfway through season two), I might give The Wire another go. I've attempted it a couple of times but gave up after a couple of episodes, but everyone seems to say it's brilliant, so will persevere with it.

Having said that, people were raving about Community, I gave up on that halfway through season two.

I'm with you. I've ground to a halt midway through Season 2 of Breaking Bad. I do plan on continuing, but it's hard to find the enthusiasm for slow programmes.

I also found The Wire slow as fuck and I plodded through Series 3 & 4, which was like watching paint dry, but although I was enjoying season 5, I stopped watching for no apparent reason. I will start again when my my planner's empty and I'm at a real loss for something to do. Smiley
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #727 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:03:56 »

I've got The Corner to watch but haven't got round to it yet.

Seen a few episodes of that. Good to see The Wire regulars in slightly different roles.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #728 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:06:19 »

I'm with you. I've ground to a halt midway through Season 2 of Breaking Bad. I do plan on continuing, but it's hard to find the enthusiasm for slow programmes.

I also found The Wire slow as fuck and I plodded through Series 3 & 4, which was like watching paint dry, but although I was enjoying season 5, I stopped watching for no apparent reason. I will start again when my my planner's empty and I'm at a real loss for something to do. Smiley

I think you may have misread what I said, I haven't given up with Breaking Bad, just currently halfway through season two Smiley
I only started watching it on Saturday, wiffy was on a hen weekend so spent most of the weekend watching it, very enjoyable so far, and I certainly wouldn't call it slow.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:08:14 by Ginginho » Logged
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #729 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:07:55 »

I felt exactly the same about season two but was bullied into watching the rest. It gets much better towards the end and season 3 is fantastic. Got to wait until October for the DVD over here though.

The only other show that gives the Wire a run for its money is Six Feet Under. Much slower and requires more patience but it is truly wonderful:
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #730 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:09:52 »

The only other show that gives the Wire a run for its money is Six Feet Under. Much slower and requires more patience but it is truly wonderful:

The Sopranos?
Barry Scott

« Reply #731 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:10:19 »

No sorry, it's not that slow, I think I just got bored with it - I don't know why - I loved Season 1. I think I struggle to watch anything that's longer than a few episodes these days!

The Wire is slow though, but although I'm not finished, I think Season 5 will leave me remembering it fondly.

I felt exactly the same about season two but was bullied into watching the rest. It gets much better towards the end and season 3 is fantastic. Got to wait until October for the DVD over here though.

Part of me knows that Breaking Bad is going to be good. I just love the concept behind it. It's too well liked for it to be no good.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #732 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:12:36 »

The Sopranos?

I'll see your Sopranos and raise you Last of the Summer Wine.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #733 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:12:48 »

The Sopranos?
shamefully I have never watched it.

I do have a Norwegian series called Lillyhammer to watch which stars Steve van Zandt(?). It's about a former mobster who testifies at a trial in exchange for witness protection and a new life in Lillehammer. It's supposed to be very amusing:
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #734 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 07:07:22 »

Sopranos is No.1 for me.  Followed by Breaking bad and then the wire.  All other mentioned are very good also (Treme, The Corner etc.)

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 ... 343   Go Up
Print
Jump to: