Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC News: Di Canio in Swindon manager talks  (Read 40927 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:24:15 »

Can you prove to me that all Lazio fans are racist? Fascist yes. Please don't confuse the two.

That salute is wrong and is associated with Hitler and the Nazi's but that's not what Di Canio and the Lazio fans use it to represent.
Are you a Lazio fan?

I didn't say that all Lazio fans are racist or fascist. Di Canio admitted that the gesture was aimed at a minority - are you seriously denying that there is a strongly racist element amongst Lazio fans? http://fourfourtwo.com/news/italy/78401/default.aspx

Unless I'm mistaken, the Nazi salute was derived from the Roman salute that Mussolini also favoured. Aside from that, Di Canio has repeatedly stated his admiration for a man who supported Hitler. I don't really see how it's hard for you to understand why it makes me feel uncomfortable?
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:25:09 »

Quick honest question, did Di Canio's fascist tendencies cause any issues or raise concerns when he played here? I can't remember, but then I struggle to remember anything outside the last 6 months.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:27:11 »

Not that I can recall. Within the context of being a boyhood Lazio supporter and admirer of Mussolini, the salute probably didn't mean much at all but the connotations of it are what worries me.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:28:53 »

The guy is not a racist, he's doesn't incite hatred. He believes certain fascist ideologies.
He's publicly and repeatedly saluted his "camerati" in a notorious neo-Nazi hooligan gang who delight in displays such as this:

[url width=400 height=272]http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,27242,00.jpg[/url]

The banner, held by the Ultras he's sieg hieled repeatedly, reads "Auschwitz your country, the oven your home". Go on, tell me it's just "banter"
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:30:07 »

Looks photoshopped........

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:30:28 »

Can you prove to me that all Lazio fans are racist? Fascist yes. Please don't confuse the two.
No, but their Ultras are. It was the Ultras he was part of before he turned pro, the Ultras he was saluting and they are openly neo-Nazi
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:31:27 »

And another

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/2998793/Talking-Sport-Di-Canio-paints-odd-picture-with-views-on-Mussolini.html

It would appear it's not as black and white as some would make it out to be
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:31:52 »

Di Canio would bring excitement.

I am currently bored and fed up with STFC with the last season one big bore and yawn. Don't want Rix, clapped when Magilton was run over by a taxi outside the Park End Club in Oxford.

Was excited when Macari, Hoddle and Wise were bought into the Club and would be again with Di Canio.

Something different, exciting and all this facist stuff a load of bollocks.
Di Canio is exciting. Pushing Refs, Stopping a game by catching a ball when a player was down injured when in a goal scoring position.

All exciting stuff. Supporting Swindon at present is dull.

Bring in Di Canio......get publicity and get the excitement back.

Bring it on..........the other candidates (other than Hoddle) simply don't get me excited. Roller Coaster maybe but I want August to look forward to.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:32:03 »

The guy is a fascist, not a racist and does not incite hatred.

Can somebody tell me the problem with him having strong beliefs?

Simple here goes.

If you or me has a strong belief then the world is no wiser..no one gives a shit,no one gives a dam.
When a political leader,a boss or indeed a football manager representing many people then thats when the problem starts.

Racist equalls fascist by the way,exactly the same bar the shouting if you want to quibble,may be different in a technical nerdy way but basicly is the same.
If you believe that murdering Jews by the million is ok then i would equate that to racism.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:32:16 »

Quick honest question, did Di Canio's fascist tendencies cause any issues or raise concerns when he played here? I can't remember, but then I struggle to remember anything outside the last 6 months.
No, it became a public issue when he went back to Italy, rejoined Lazio and started (repeatedly) saluting their neo-Nazi ultras with the Nazi salute. And published his autobiography in which he described Mussolini as "misunderstood".
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:34:37 »

There's actually a lot to read about it.

Seems not so much that he admired him for what he did, rather he is fascinated by him. I find Hitler a very interesting person and he had some impressive qualities, doesn't mean I think he was right.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:35:13 »

If he got appointed and then started talking about us being the master club of league 2 while attempting to annex the kassam and memorial ground, give out badges to all female swindon supporters who have 6 or 7 children and makes membership of the junior robins compulsory i might care abit more. Its more his lack of knowledge of league 2 and the players that we need to bring in that i care about
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:36:44 »

Simple here goes.

If you or me has a strong belief then the world is no wiser..no one gives a shit,no one gives a dam.
When a political leader,a boss or indeed a football manager representing many people then thats when the problem starts.

Racist equalls fascist by the way,exactly the same bar the shouting if you want to quibble,may be different in a technical nerdy way but basicly is the same.
If you believe that murdering Jews by the million is ok then i would equate that to racism.

No it doesn't.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:37:02 »

There's actually a lot to read about it.

Seems not so much that he admired him for what he did, rather he is fascinated by him. I find Hitler a very interesting person and he had some impressive qualities, doesn't mean I think he was right.
Yes but you don't have Fuhrer tatooed on your arm or go round making Nazi salutes to known neo-Nazi hooligans do you? Soft soap it all you want, Di Canio knows what the Lazio Ultras stand for, he knows damn well what Mussolini stood for (including the anti-Jewish laws and deportations to death camps) and he knew damn well what he was doing. And still "admires" both
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, May 11, 2011, 16:38:28 »

A lot of people walk around with Che Guevara T-shirts Paul

Reading on, it seems as though he didn't even like Mussolini much. He just finds him a very interesting person.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: