Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fitton and co...  (Read 39636 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, March 8, 2011, 22:22:36 »

Agree with that really although I do now think Fitton and the board have to take a long hard look at where they want us to be and how they are going to go about it.

Agree with that too.  I'm still supportive of the board but, as I mentioned a few days ago, he will now have to face up to the reality that - barring a miracle - we will be playing our football in 2011/12 at a lower level than when he and his board took over.

I know this was not a part of the plan.  And yes (sorry, has to be repeated) we have a club today only because they stepped in in 2007 and we can never forget that fact.  Ever.

But - we all know the board can run a balance sheet.  What we now need to see is that they can run a football club.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 00:46:27 »

The biggest mistake the board made was to sell our best defender, organiser, talker, leader and captain before the start of the season. Lets not forget up until Austin was sold we had no problem scoring goals. (we were the 6th or 7th highest goalscorers at that point)

Defensively we have been shocking this season, both individually and collectively. That has been our downfall.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 01:31:44 »

Have to agree.

Before Austin, Billy wasn't really the hottest striker in League 1 and remember hutch?  What we did do even then was keep it tight at the back and for all their promise Lesh and Morrison may have been able to play with GG but Cuthbert couldn't look after them as GG looked after him.

Take away Charlie's goals though and we've got a really shocking run and it started before he left.  Suspect he wasn't such a good influence himself.

The whole club now seems rudderless - no responsibility on the pitch, no one sorting the players and Fitton always that critical bit too slow to act.  Someone really does need to stick their hand up and take charge
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 08:14:07 »

But - we all know the board can run a balance sheet.  What we now need to see is that they can run a football club.
Nail on the Head. In a Nutshell. This. (Insert own agreement cliche here)
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 08:32:58 »

Take away Charlie's goals though and we've got a really shocking run and it started before he left.  Suspect he wasn't such a good influence himself.

Not like he's been banging them in himself since he left. However for us to have scored 5 goals in 9 games since his departure is atrocious whichever way you look at it.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 10:48:53 »

Fitton ought to come out and admit he's made mistakes this season, humbly apologise, reassure the fans that our stay in League 2 will be brief and then most importantly, not repeat the mistakes of last summer.

I don't blame Fitton for the sale of Austin, he wanted out and I doubt he'd have been the same player if he'd been forced to stay. The mistake was not only the failure to adequately replace Paynter - made worse by the fact there was ample opportunity to do so - but to not plan for life after Austin. The deal for Benyon illustrated how unprepared the board was for this. Nothing needs to be said about Greer, it speaks for itself.

The rumours of Fitton's meddling in training and team affairs seem to persist but there doesn't appear to be much evidence to support the suggestions aside from his transfer policy which, whilst admirable, has also been a cause for concern this season. We've spent considerably this season - although nobody knows any exact amounts - but few of the purchases have made an impact on the first team. These types of transfer won't keep us up.

However I do think Fitton has demonstrated that he DOES learn from his mistakes, e.g. the manner and timescale of Wilson's departure and Hart's arrival. The criticism aimed at Fitton for not acting earlier is harsh but fair as any replacement ought to have had the transfer window as an opportunity to restructure in a bid to keep us up, by leaving it until now Hart will be forced to utilise the players already at his disposal who are, to put it politely, a bit of a shambles. Wilson had to go as it was the last roll of the dice but it already appears to have achieved nothing.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 11:15:21 »

Fitton ought to come out and admit he's made mistakes this season,

He has regarding Greer.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 12:48:03 »

He has regarding Greer.

What the hell has happened to Greer anyway? Is he out injured?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 13:32:45 »

What the hell has happened to Greer anyway? Is he out injured?

Have you asked DViniho? I think he mentioned him once.
deltaincline

« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 23:20:08 »

He has regarding Greer.

In his interview on ITV, Fitton Shamelessly tried to bury the decision for flogging Greer by saying that Wilson 'fully supported the move.'

It pains me to say it, but Fitton trying to rope in the outgoing, humiliated, manager of the club as being equally culpable for what has to be THE most ridiculously stupid, fucking dumb-arsed transfer in the clubs history, just lacks class.

I'd have respect for the bloke on this issue if he'd just taken the blame and shame - regardless of whether or not Wilson agreed with the move - like Jeremy Wray did in his interview of a few weeks ago. He fucked up by selling his club captain. Pure and simple.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2011, 23:40:42 »

Nail on the Head. In a Nutshell. This. (Insert own agreement cliche here)

Ditto?
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 07:04:27 »

Hang on a minute chaps......

Haven't read all of the 80% bollocks in this thread, but enough of it to be able to categorize it as such!

Think we have to remember that sometime in life things go wrong. This season, things have gone spectacularly wrong! Paynter and Greer were offered more money - They left. I don't blame anyone for this. The club were being held to ransom and therefore both left. The club is bigger than any player, so they had to go. 

Ward was only here as a mercenary anyway. He made it clear that this was a stepping stone. Ritchie struggled to get into the team last year because he wasn't as good as the other options we had. Has he improved significantly since then or is he still a little small and a little inconsistent?

If you remember, we were shockingly shit in the Wembley final and in the ,last month of the season. I wonder why? There have been rumours of disquiet in the team since last year. There was stuff about a Greer camp and a Douglas camp. At the beginning of the season, on last year's showing, most were backing Douglas. On this year's performance I suspect most would reconsider! I wonder if that disquiet is more of the reason that things have gone wrong within the club?

Before Austin came last year we were struggling to score. He made the difference in many a games. This years there have been lots of rumours and a culmination of a transfer request and a move. We got lots of dosh for him, despite the fact that he may well go down the Barry Corr route. Think history might prove that it was probably a good move for us.

Pericard was supposed to be the Paynter replacement. We'll it just hasn't worked. Probably difficult to offload him now, which is why he's still here and not contributing!

Three young CBs fighting to make a solid partnership in the heart of defence. All have played individually well, but don't gel together. So, Morrison wanted to go and we signed the mystery man Misun - He's gone missing! We also sign Flint, who looks to be one for the future. We try to bring experience in Frampton, but, I suspect that what we need is someone further up the pitch holding the ball up or breaking up play better? Not had much luck in that department.

On the goalkeeping front, I think that Lucas pulled off some spectacular saves last year. This year, he has been poor in comparison. Smith has appeared better, but neither have had a great year.

So, to be honest, I am happy with last year and disappointed with this one. Am now looking forward to next year and hopefully an opportunity to be up and around the top of L2 and building for the future.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 08:45:51 »

Such rational thought has no place here NMH.  Mods please ban him. 

Never knowingly overstated.

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 09:01:53 »

ward and paynter leaving was out of the clubs hand.ward was only on loan,and paynter was offered improved terms.the same with austin who has gone onto better things.3 huge losses.

greer's situation was different.he wasn't even granted a conversation regarding a contract,after telling the club what was on offer from brighton, and stating he wanted to stay here.
that decision not to even discuss a new deal rests with fitton.wilson wanted greer to stay as did the player himself.

i think we would probably be struggling(in comparison to last season) with greer still here to be honest,but probably not in the drop zone.
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Thursday, March 10, 2011, 09:10:09 »

ward and paynter leaving was out of the clubs hand.ward was only on loan,and paynter was offered improved terms.the same with austin who has gone onto better things.3 huge losses.

greer's situation was different.he wasn't even granted a conversation regarding a contract,after telling the club what was on offer from brighton, and stating he wanted to stay here.
that decision not to even discuss a new deal rests with fitton.wilson wanted greer to stay as did the player himself.

i think we would probably be struggling(in comparison to last season) with greer still here to be honest,but probably not in the drop zone.

Your spot on arriba. No one is saying that we would be top of the league now. But we wouldn't be bottom. We would've picked up more clean sheets earlier this season when we were scoring goals and hence would've won more games. Failing to replace Paynter was massive aswell.

It would be interesting to see if both Greer and Paynter were still here, where we would be. All if, buts and maybes.....
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: