Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FIFA Corruption  (Read 25907 times)
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:23:33 »

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm glad. But I was and remain pretty ambivalent about it for all the reasons you highlight above. Especially the bit about FIFA getting to pretty much dictate our laws and getting legal exemption from pretty much everything, including taxes.

It would require changes to UK law approved by Parliament,including the suspension for the WC
of all workers rights.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:26:43 »

And what in the name of jimminy heck has that got to do with whether or not we didn't get the World Cup? Do you think FIFA gave it to Russia as a blow against the tyranny of the license fee?

Of course not, but there's a difference between trying to justify Sunday Times et al attacks as the result of free press and trying to fend off accusations made by a state broadcaster (BBC) 3 days before the vote.

Other countries, not unreasonably, are going to see a contradiction between one organ of the state attacking them (BBC) and another (FA and Government) not.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:29:45 »

It would require changes to UK law approved by Parliament,including the suspension for the WC
of all workers rights.

A substantial amount of workers rights comes under the EU. Parliament approval has bugger all to do with it.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:31:00 »

At least we did better than the Aussies. They only got ONE vote :

Full results of 2022 voting:

Round 1: Australia1 vote, Japan 3 votes, US 3 votes, South Korea 4 votes and Qatar 11 votes.

Round 2: Japan 2 votes, South Korea 5 votes, US 5 votes and Qatar 10 votes.

Round 3 South Korea 5 votes, US 6 votes and Qatar 11 votes.

Round 4 US 8 votes and Qatar 14 votes (Qatar obtain absolute majority)

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:33:02 »

Am I alone in being glad we didn't get it?  The only way to win the vote was to throw taxpayers money (or money from the FA) at corrupt, thieving scum.  The decisions prove this.  Also we would have to give FIFA tax exemption, fuck that.  Milton Keynes now gets fuck all, good.

It comes to something when FIFA are more corrupt than our politicians, but they've managed it.
No you are not alone. A more corrupt body than FIFA would be hard to find, they have been for absolutely years and I personally think the media (Panorama et al) were right to take them to task no matter what the timing. This just shows twats like Warner and Blatter and Co. up for what they really are, and I hope this gives the green light to the media for open season researching into their personal interests. FIFA executives ?....I shit em !
Silver lining about MK Donuts though !
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:33:59 »

At least we did better than the Aussies. They only got ONE vote

Yeah but to be fair they didn't have a voter on the committee...
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:34:44 »

Michel Platini, president of European football's governing body Uefa, insisted the documentary would not alter members' votes or wreck England's chances. But he did claim that the British media's arduous relationship with football's international governing body could jeopardise England's chances of success.

What does Platini mean by "arduous relationship"? Just that our media does it's job and calls the FIFA executive a bunch of corrupt, power hungry, egotistical, brain dead morons? Or something else?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:36:00 »

Of course not, but there's a difference between trying to justify Sunday Times et al attacks as the result of free press and trying to fend off accusations made by a state broadcaster (BBC) 3 days before the vote.

Other countries, not unreasonably, are going to see a contradiction between one organ of the state attacking them (BBC) and another (FA and Government) not.
That's a fair point. I just hate the hypocrisy of the Murdoch-owned press and the Mail, their petty jingoism wrapped as principle and the fact that neither of them give a flying shite about whether we host the World Cup, they're just using it as part of their ongoing battle with the Beeb.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:37:32 »

of all workers rights.
That's why Cameron (and other similar political figures from other bidding nations) was out there. To reassure FIFA they'd be getting what they asked for on the political/legislative front.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #114 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:49:17 »

No you are not alone. A more corrupt body than FIFA would be hard to find, they have been for absolutely years and I personally think the media (Panorama et al) were right to take them to task no matter what the timing. This just shows twats like Warner and Blatter and Co. up for what they really are, and I hope this gives the green light to the media for open season researching into their personal interests. FIFA executives ?....I shit em !
Silver lining about MK Donuts though !
I think the IOC could give FIFA a good run for their money.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:54:30 »

I think the IOC could give FIFA a good run for their money.

To be fair to the IOC, after Salt Lake City and the cash for votes scandal, they have seemingly tried to clean up their act. When Hayatou was mentioned by Panorama accepting bungs, the IOC said they will investigate the matter, as he is also an IOC member, whilst FIFA said they will do nothing.

Saying that I still believe that anyone that has it's HQ in Switzerland are open up to corruption, as the organisations like FIFA/IOC/UEFA hide behind their privacy laws.

BAZINGA !!

Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:56:15 »

There are some great comments on 606 :

I've been to Qatar and its a s(hit) hole ......... how on the hell on earth they blew the air conditioning theory up FIFA's (A)rses and got away with it, I will never know.

It's so hot that air conditioning does'nt even work only acclimatisation works.

As for the laws: Beer & Sex are out unless you take your goats with you, but avoid the stoning as you make a swift exit to the airport.

BAZINGA !!

donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 17:57:37 »

To be fair to the IOC, after Salt Lake City and the cash for votes scandal, they have seemingly tried to clean up their act. When Hayatou was mentioned by Panorama accepting bungs, the IOC said they will investigate the matter, as he is also an IOC member, whilst FIFA said they will do nothing.

Saying that I still believe that anyone that has it's HQ in Switzerland are open up to corruption, as the organisations like FIFA/IOC/UEFA hide behind their privacy laws.

Let's face it, the Swiss don't care where the money comes from, they don't ask questions. (Is Sven a bit Swiss?)

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 18:03:02 »

We were never going to get it. Not sure why evreryone is annoyed tbh. Fifa will never give England another WC or not at least until Blatter is gone.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Thursday, December 2, 2010, 18:11:37 »

Whether it was obvious or not, it's still annoying to witness such corruption...

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: