Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 55   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: greer  (Read 99631 times)
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 18:55:05 »

Not related to the point, but that 2003 (not 2004, as we all know Brighton won the play offs in 04) Christmas game we played fucking brilliant.

Miglioranzi at his best.

Leon Knight giving it the big'un to the Town End when he made it 1-1. Fired us right up.
Spencer_White

« Reply #241 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 18:58:33 »

Not related to the point, but that 2003 (not 2004, as we all know Brighton won the play offs in 04) Christmas game we played fucking brilliant.

Miglioranzi at his best.

Leon Knight giving it the big'un to the Town End when he made it 1-1. Fired us right up.

Agreed, cracking game.

Town End at its best as well.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 19:01:07 »

Yep, looking back - I think that was probably our 2nd best peformance of the season.

Topped only by the 1-1 draw at home to QPR, the day England won the Rugby World Cup. QPR had a good team then as well, we more than matched up.

Opening day against Sheffield Wednesday in 3rd.

Bit like this season, really good - till the end.

I hope it doesnt take us another 6 years to finish 5th in L1 again.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 19:04:55 »

Years back a day at the Goldstone Ground was to be looked forward to..went there many times and when Peter Ward was at his peak the atmosphere was brilliant..they have a really big following and once back in a decent stadium will be a force again....relatively speaking of course.
One F In Fitton

« Reply #244 on: Thursday, June 17, 2010, 22:44:01 »

Yeh the Goldstone was always a good trip, I agree leefer. Train to Hove, down those steps next to a pub then all singing under that bridge, fucking loud which always got me fired up. Proper old-school ground that.

Then a night out in Brighton, hopefully ending with a back-scuttle on the pebbles.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 06:54:45 »

BBC radio state we turned down an official Brighton bid for Greer.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 06:58:48 »

Thank fuck for that.

We best not give in. Do not sell.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 07:04:18 »

Given that Brighton haven't gone away after last weeks 'no bid' story, I'd assume they think Greer wants to go to Brighton?

Thankfully the club don't need to sell. But I'd be surprised if that is the end of it.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 07:10:19 »

It won't be the end.

Its up to us to stand firm and not give in, even when Brighton throw more cash at us.

Greer would be hard to replace at the back. We should get him in for contract talks asap.
Barry Scott

« Reply #249 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 07:20:28 »

Don't get me wrong, i love Greer, but if we were to receive a bit of over £200k i would've thought accepting it makes business sense, what with him being 29 and having only 1 year left. Or am i speaking bollocks again? Smiley
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 07:31:26 »

Every player has a price though but for us to sell our captain and possibly best defender then it would have to be a bloody good offer too good to refuse
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 07:31:48 »

Don't get me wrong, i love Greer, but if we were to receive a bit of over £200k i would've thought accepting it makes business sense, what with him being 29 and having only 1 year left. Or am i speaking bollocks again? Smiley

I don't think think you are Barry. Would we really want to extend Greer's contract, ? would he be good enough for the Championship at 30-31 ?

Against that only the management know how influential he is as a captain and organiser on the pitch so that'll need to be considered, as would the need to find a replacement. I'd say £200k was a bit on the low side.

I'd be more concerned at getting Douglas Lucas and Cuthbert  into contract extension talks before Greer.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 08:38:39 »

I would say the level we should be looking at should be close to £500k if we were serious about letting him go.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 11:06:25 »

£200k isnt nearly enough. As well as being a good defender he clearly has a big influence on the back 4 when he plays (see wembley defensive performace for evidence) and for a lower league centre back is very comfortable on the ball.

I think we'd find it very had to replace him with someone with those 3 attributes, which is why I wouldnt sell for anything less the a mental offer (£1m+!!)

Theres no point selling someone for cash if you cant replace what they bring to the team with that cash.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #254 on: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 11:13:10 »

I think it should lie a little bit deeper than just the individual. Greer has his faults - he can be a bit sluggish, gives away silly free kicks and makes the odd mistake. However, his worth to the team is more than just about him as an individual. The whole back line looks more assured with him in there and you should avoid breaking up a good centre back partnership if you can (like a good strike partnership, Paynter/Austin ya de ya de ya da). He makes a good captain in my opinion.

Merely on him as an individual player, I think we could find someone just as good if not better with the money received. However, you have to think about the team as a whole.

Dave is right also, if he does want to stay sign him up for another couple of years.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 ... 55   Go Up
Print
Jump to: