Pages: 1 ... 1829 1830 1831 [1832] 1833 1834 1835 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4518243 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #27465 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2022, 15:56:06 »

Always thought the Scots deserved another vote given how heavily the Union campaign leaned on the EU membership aspect last time out.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #27466 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2022, 16:09:09 »

Always thought the Scots deserved another vote given how heavily the Union campaign leaned on the EU membership aspect last time out.

Quite a few promises made about extra devolved powers in the event of a no vote that never came off for some reason too...

It's a tricky one, living north of the border now. Fundamentally I do believe in the union being a good thing on balance (not unlike another union...), but if you frame it as "would you like to vote for never having a Conservative government again" that is... a more interesting prospect.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #27467 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2022, 16:28:03 »

What mess is there in England that hasn't happened in Scotland?

See what you're missing there is that anything bad that has happened in the history of the UK is Englands fault and would never have happened under Scottish Eutopia. Its your way of thinking that is wrong.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #27468 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2022, 16:35:20 »

Quite a few promises made about extra devolved powers in the event of a no vote that never came off for some reason too...

It's a tricky one, living north of the border now. Fundamentally I do believe in the union being a good thing on balance (not unlike another union...), but if you frame it as "would you like to vote for never having a Conservative government again" that is... a more interesting prospect.

This is it, as I have said before out of my Scottish peer group (of which there is a pretty diverse bunch from housemates, uni mates etc) they were probably 80%+ if not more pro union when the question was asked last time, but after the bullshit associated with that that and in more recent times they are feeling royally screwed over and they are now all pro-independence and prepared to suck it and see - if England wants to keep the union together its doing a fucking great job of driving the Scots away up at the moment.

See what you're missing there is that anything bad that has happened in the history of the UK is Englands fault and would never have happened under Scottish Eutopia. Its your way of thinking that is wrong.

Thanks for summing up why many scots want out.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #27469 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2022, 16:40:56 »

Thanks for summing up why many scots want out.

Because of smarmy half joking comments from The English?

Must be their wafer thin skin then.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #27470 on: Wednesday, November 23, 2022, 17:40:55 »

in the same way as I was vehemently Pro EU but thought it right and proper we voted to get out as a Country (because a significant majority simply did not and will never buy into the principle goals), I think the Scots deserve to get the chance to exit a Union they don't really seem that keen on for any reason other than Economical.  The EU argument kept that one front and centre, but now that is gone, they can probably make a good case for a different path forward getting some sort of Independence with an EU deal.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #27471 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 11:35:11 »

Not really smile or feel good but also not for the other general thread and obviously not worth a thread of its own.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23149574.roads-swindon-closed-following-discovery-world-war-ii-bomb/

WW2 bomb found in the town centre.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #27472 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 11:43:13 »

Not really smile or feel good but also not for the other general thread and obviously not worth a thread of its own.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23149574.roads-swindon-closed-following-discovery-world-war-ii-bomb/

Obviously this is caveated that I hope that nobody gets killed or injured, but they could do worse in letting it go off if they can. The Town centre from what I have seen needs a total regeneration.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #27473 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 12:05:40 »

Such things are a bloody pain in the arse on sites as once one is found it sets all manner of requirements off before you can start again! When we were working on a former ordnance factory site the lads on site seemed to find one most Friday afternoons, strangely...  Cheesy

Obviously this is caveated that I hope that nobody gets killed or injured, but they could do worse in letting it go off if they can. The Town centre from what I have seen needs a total regeneration.

Ah the age old gag, a bomb exploded in (insert name of town one wants to be derogatory about here) last night, police estimate it caused hundreds of thousands of pounds of improvements.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #27474 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 12:19:54 »

Such things are a bloody pain in the arse on sites as once one is found it sets all manner of requirements off before you can start again! When we were working on a former ordnance factory site the lads on site seemed to find one most Friday afternoons, strangely...  Cheesy

Ah the age old gag, a bomb exploded in (insert name of town one wants to be derogatory about here) last night, police estimate it caused hundreds of thousands of pounds of improvements.

Indeed, unfortunately less of a gag in Swindon Town Centre. That area around Debenhams is an absolute eyesore!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #27475 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 12:26:16 »

I remember a few years back them finding a bomb in Chippenham when they were building the new school and lots of people being evacuated to the sports centre while they were trying to remove it.
I think the problem then was it had landed nose first so it was difficult to extract.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #27476 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 12:28:44 »

I haven't been into Town for around five years when it was dire then. It's sad really as going back through the 70's, 80's and early 90's it was decent and packed with thousands of shoppers on a Saturday.

So, give no fucks
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #27477 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 12:36:18 »

I haven't been into Town for around five years when it was dire then. It's sad really as going back through the 70's, 80's and early 90's it was decent and packed with thousands of shoppers on a Saturday.

Sadly it's not unique to Swindon. A number of Towns and Cities in the UK just haven't had the investment needed. (plus the move to online shopping etc but that's a different discussion)

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #27478 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 12:43:56 »

Sadly it's not unique to Swindon. A number of Towns and Cities in the UK just haven't had the investment needed. (plus the move to online shopping etc but that's a different discussion)

Spot on Bob there are many Towns & City's across the country which will be like Swindon or worse and with online shopping and retail parks easier to purchase goods it makes you wonder if there is a need for them.

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #27479 on: Friday, November 25, 2022, 12:45:59 »

It's all tied up together and frankly there is not a huge amount Councils can do about it, despite the kicking they get from many quarters, its simply a matter of costs v. revenues and obviously an online shops overheads are minimal compared to bricks and mortar, plus whilst people will moan like hell about shops closing if they don't use them they close and only one person to blame, see also pubs and Post offices.  

I went back to Witney in the spring for the first time in about 10 years and people were saying how its dying on its arse, compared to a lot of places up here its bloody booming most northern towns seem to thrive now on coffee shops, phone shops and charity shops (understandable due to the rates issue).

Changes in PD now mean that shops and offices can be converted back into residential use without planning permission so I would expect that a lot of town centres may eventually migrate back to their more historic function over time, sad to say the town centres that we all grew up with are pretty much numbered.
Pages: 1 ... 1829 1830 1831 [1832] 1833 1834 1835 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: