Pages: 1 ... 1711 1712 1713 [1714] 1715 1716 1717 ... 1931   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: trivial things that make you smile,or make you feel good  (Read 4531800 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #25695 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 08:11:19 »

Due to mrs bogus being pregnant we’ve had quite a few non alcoholic beverages around in the last few months. Agree completely that Heineken appears to be the best of the beers, although did have a Brooklyn lager that was very nice. Becks blue tastes like piss

All alcohol free fruit ciders taste exactly like their alcoholic equivalents. Alcohol free wine tastes like vinegar and I don’t understand how it’s allowed to be sold

I dunno if they still do it, but Sainsburys used to do an own brand alcohol free pilsner which was about the best alcohol free beer I've had.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #25696 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 08:39:36 »

I was watching the programme ‘How do they do it’ recently and the production of alcohol free beer was featured. It also happened to be the Heineken one. This is clever shit TBF. The yeast they use ferments the ingredients like it is supposed to do in a normal alcohol fermentation process, however, critically it does NOT produce alcohol as a by product. Who knew eh? Previously the alcohol would have been extracted from the brew to make a low alcohol beverage but most of them tasted like piss of varying degrees.

On a side note I have lost 5.5kg as of this morning. Still a long way to go in the grand scheme of things and although not as impressive as some weight loss achievements I’m still rather chuffed that I have lost that amount without anything in the way of an exercise regime, though that will follow when I have lost at least the same amount, no point in trying to carry all that lard around the gym or on the byways and highways of this lovely town.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #25697 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 08:47:58 »

Quote from: Bogus Dave

All alcohol free fruit ciders taste exactly like their alcoholic equivalents. Alcohol free wine tastes like vinegar and I don’t understand how it’s allowed to be sold

it's only the Mrs that has to give up booze Wink
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25698 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 10:59:11 »

Flashheart

« Reply #25699 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 11:39:18 »

Tim Martin - what a cock.

I'm putting it in the 'feel good' thread because it's good to see him being hoist by his own petard.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #25700 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 12:30:14 »

it's only the Mrs that has to give up booze Wink

Rest assured it is

Things get better but they never get good
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25701 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 12:33:56 »

Tim Martin - what a cock.

I'm putting it in the 'feel good' thread because it's good to see him being hoist by his own petard.

Taken out of context apparently https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57314682  Cheesy
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #25702 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 13:00:35 »

Reminds me, I must watch Back to the Future again.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #25703 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 13:57:44 »

Taken out of context apparently https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57314682   Cheesy

I would have thought that all the umeployed people who voted for Brexit would be delighted to undertake such jobs

I come from a land down-under
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #25704 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 14:13:13 »

I would have thought that all the umeployed people who voted for Brexit would be delighted to undertake such jobs

I would have thought that all the unemployed people who voted remain would be even more delighted to undertake such jobs.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25705 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 14:18:23 »

I think Tim Martin is starting to realise the kind of people that support his views are also the people in his pubs during the day and have no interest in working there.
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #25706 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 14:54:54 »

I think Tim Martin is starting to realise the kind of people that support his views are also the people in his pubs during the day and have no interest in working there.
Easy soundbite and a bit snobby horlock
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #25707 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 15:04:43 »

Why would it be any surprise that the combination of zero hours contracts, far more restrictive immigration policy (just by being outside the EU the burden for anyone wishing to come for work increases and likely makes it much easier to just go to Germany or France), next to zero increases in wages and necessary lockdowns due to a Pandemic would create a throttle on available labour?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #25708 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 15:18:35 »

Easy soundbite and a bit snobby horlock

I wouldn't say snobby I have done a plethora of such jobs over the years including after I got made redundant and had to take anything to pay the rent (something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy - not that I have any enemies that I am aware of).

I fear that much as with fruit picking, hotel cleaning etc there just isn't the appetite for such positions within the UK workforce, especially under the terms that Mr Martin would want to employ them on.

So what do we do....

Do they encourage wageflation through paying more for brits to work in hospitality (this isn’t likely to be just a Wetherspoons problem), and increase prices accordingly. But does that have a knock-on to other sectors?

Increase low skill immigration from the EU? But if so, what was the point of brexit, what likelihood is there that the government will exercise controls (they didn’t before), and will people want to come? EU migrants treated hospitality as a gateway to building a life over here, but presumably Martin’s idea of U.K. control would seek to prevent that.

Increase immigration from outside the EU? Hard to see the Brexiters loving that idea…

I’m sure there’s some great ideas to come from our brexity friends, because if a behemoth like Wetherspoons can’t make the numbers work, you can bet everyone else is going to struggle.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 15:21:25 by horlock07 » Logged
chalkies shorts

Ignore
« Reply #25709 on: Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 15:34:44 »

The snobby bit was referring to the people you (and others) say who frequent the pub not those who work there. Lazy, snobby stereotype. Easy slur to make and a bit beneath your previous comments.
My daughter goes into a spoons and she's as ardent a remainer as I'm a brexiteer.
Pages: 1 ... 1711 1712 1713 [1714] 1715 1716 1717 ... 1931   Go Up
Print
Jump to: