Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Paul Caddis to join at end of January?  (Read 12326 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 18:32:17 »

usually your assimilation of views on here is pretty spot on, but this one has gone awry.

mcgovern, along with douglas, is the absolute lynchpin of this team. it doesn't matter that he doesn't beat a full-back with pace because his delivery and link-up play are a class above

Fair enough.

I am not having a dig at him, after all by all accounts he has been superb. I just can't seem to get a mental image of what position he even plays in and what kind of balance the team has with him in it.

Of course I am at an obvious disadvantage in the regard.

Regardless, it is certainly working and that'll do me just fine.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 18:42:47 »

I'd assume JPM is off, or likely to be in the summer. Although we have been commenting about lack of RB cover.

So you think McGovern will fly, to make room for Caddis...I suppose it means he'll spend less time in the Larva Lounge.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 19:22:53 »

Where has the idea come from he's leaving anyway? Were only signing a right back to cover for Manky if he gets injured. We don't often offer new deals this early yet.
And I thought I was the only one wondering this! There's a rumour going round that we're after a right back who has been known to fill in wide right and left, and all of a sudden we're mourning the loss of one of our best midfielders?! There are rumours that Championship clubs are after him, but none of us know where they have come from, and JPM could be signing a contract extension next week for all we know.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 19:31:05 »

I think we all hope JPM stays R4E. He's arguably been our best player this season, certainly the most creative. If Caddis comes I'd hope he and JPM play.

My concern came from the fact we are after a player than can play his position, coupled with what he said in an Adver interview (I'll try and find it),  in addition to his superb performances that are bound to be attracting unwanted attention from other clubs.

And yes it is probably just a case of putting 2 and 2 together and making 5. I hope so!

edit: OK I re-read said article and he didn't say what I though he did!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindontown/news/4834634.Keeping_focused/?ref=rss
But the Scot remained determined to concentrate on all things Swindon Town whilst the whirlwind of speculation rages around him.

“I’m out of contract so if something happens in January then so be it,” he said.

“But that’s not up to me - that’s in the hands of the manager.

“It’s a strange time but it’s just part of the game.”

I originally read that as saying if he got other offers so be it. He meant a new contract here didn't he?!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 19:42:01 by Batch » Logged
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 19:36:02 »

Here? http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/news/headlines/4834634.Keeping_focused/

“I’m out of contract so if something happens in January then so be it,” he said.
“But that’s not up to me - that’s in the hands of the manager.
“It’s a strange time but it’s just part of the game.”

“You’re always keeping an eye on things (in the transfer window),” he said. “I’m addicted to the 405 updates (Sky Sports News) just in case you see your name.”

I don't think there's any serious suggestion there that he's looking for a move away. More a case of not wanting to say anything about definitely staying or definitely going, which is sensible given that it could be taken out of his hands if Wilson and Fitton wished.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 19:41:38 »

This guy sounds good. Would be a decent signing hopefully. If he's anywhere the level of Ferry and Cuthbert i'll be really happy. Sounds like it starts at the end of Jan when Hutchinson's loan expires. Makes sense. Clear one out for another. What's all this about JPM as well? Wilson said in the Adver today that Caddis can play in any position other than a goalie or striker. His best position is the right but Wilson clearly stated he is here for cover on the right and elsewhere if need be. With O'Brien injured and Sheehan better at LB I can see Caddis playing on the left for a while.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 19:57:18 »

I have said for a long time i personally don't think Jpm will be here next season.I don't doubt that this lad can play on the left for one moment but wilsons comments below suggest he will be on the right side

He is a very good player who can play in any position across the back or the middle of the park, and that is perfect for what we want.

“We know where his assets are and what his best positions are, and that is anywhere down the right-hand side.
Spencer_White

« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 20:29:53 »

I dont think the club would offer JPM a new contract longer than a single season, and thats why he'll be leaving. Unfortunately JPM has shown he needs motivation and for 18 months in the middle of a 3 year contract he struggled to find that motivation.

But Im sure a League 1 club will offer him a 3 year deal, because he has been a good L1 player this season.

We cant afford to have 'lynchpins' of our team leaving in 6 months time. This simply isnt how its done at well run clubs. If McGovern is leaving in the summer then he will probably have less and less of a role to play between now and then.

I think Wilson prefers faster wingers. McGovern is a sort of poor mans Beckham. But to be honest, I think McGoverns days are numbered because Fitton hasnt really forgiven him for his performances under Malpas. Fitton wont offer him another big contract.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 20:41:54 by Spencer_White » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 20:59:09 »

I reckon everyone is making something out of nothing over JPM. There are a lot of good reasons for him to stay; the team are playing well, we're challenging for promotion, he's playing every week, the club is stable financially, he's settled in Swindon and so on.

But if he does go, is it really that big a deal? Over the last 12 months Wilson has brought in Lucas, Sheehan, Greer, Cuthbert, Douglas, Ferry and Austin - that's 7 of our starting 11. I'm sure there will be a few coming in during January and then a few more during the summer, potentially more once we've offload all the dead wood.

So I have every confidence that Wilson will be able to replace JPM (or anyone else) if they go.

Wilson has pretty much said a lot of the reason why they're not sorting out contracts yet is they don't know where the club will be next season. Will we be in the Championship or challenging for the title / playoffs / mid table / relegation in League One? It makes a big difference as to whether he wants a player to stay or not and the length of their contract.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 21:00:37 »

then more fool fitton.

He is our best player we should be busting a gut to get him signed.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 21:02:20 »

He has been one of our best players this season. Hard to tell if that will be true of future seasons.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 21:04:49 »

I agree but I think we should take the gamble.
Spencer_White

« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 21:09:31 »

then more fool fitton.

He is our best player we should be busting a gut to get him signed.

He's not our best player. He can play in a good team, but he doesnt have that mark of a really important, influential player who can shine in a bad team. They are the players you offer really good contracts to because you know you can count on them no matter what. He will want a long contract and STFC wont offer him one, and rightly so.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 21:11:06 by Spencer_White » Logged
nochee

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 23:16:50 »

He has been one of our best players this season. Hard to tell if that will be true of future seasons.
you could argue that point about any of our players tho. He has definatly earned a new contract offer based on this seasons efforts.

I'm liking the hype about caddis. Is he 1 of the 2 exciting players that the chairman mentioned was due to join our club this week?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 23:44:29 »

Yes you could, but McGovern's transformation has been spectacular. I think it's for a number of reasons but it's clear he's putting more effort in than he ever has. I'm not saying once he has a new contract his form will dip, more that one good season in three isn't going to take us to the next level and is a bit risky.

McNamee had one and a half good seasons but people were glad to get rid. What happens if McGovern does the same and we're stuck with him for another three or four years.

Either that or keep making him snort nutmeg before games, which is my other theory to his greatness this term.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: