Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A few random thoughts.....  (Read 7132 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 11:42:16 »

...I'd say the last time we had such a limited set of front men was season 01/02.

Then we had Graz who could score a few and would walk into this team and Sabinho, supplemented by Joe Kuffour on loan, later the execrable Dominic Foley...Danny Invincibile chipped in with a few and Gurney supplied 6 bonus goals from the back.

At the same stage as that season we had the same amount of points as this season, and a very similar GD, but were much further down the league. This season would seem a weaker division, on the evidence so far, most teams seem much of a muchness, not many goalscorers about, stacked with young Prem or CCC loan players who lack consistency, but reasonably organised at the back, hence a lot of draws.

The difference for us, was 01/02 was played out in an atmosphere of chronic instability, Evans walking, Kingy coming back in...Carson....Diamond Mike/Holt consortium etc.

That season we went on to finish comfortably mid table, Graz finished leading scorer with 8, but missed half the season injured...Gurney was probably next with 6.

So, given the weaker league this season given the more stable environment, and despite the lack of strikers, we should be able to get at least a single figure finish. Anything less will be a failure.
Langers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 11:44:14 »

Very True. Lets hope your right about the single figure finish and we should definatley get top half as a minimum
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 11:54:29 »

Its not just the forwards that don't provide goals, JPM is probably the only goal scoring midfielder we have. Maybe Easton, but he's so far down the pecking order right now.

But we knew this at the start of the season. We are generally a tighter team at the expense of goals. We won't go up because of it, but hopefully we won't be in a relegation scrap either. That's progress.

michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 11:56:37 »

I quipped yesterday that our biggest problem is that we have 4 3rd choice strikers.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 11:57:48 »

I quipped yesterday that our biggest problem is that we have 4 3rd choice strikers.

Its funny because its true.

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 11:59:31 »

Would you even have Hutchinson as a 3rd choice?
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:00:43 »

Good point Ronnie.

He does appear to be some kind of imposter doesn't he.

Our very own Ali Dia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Dia
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:03:47 »

Thing is Hutch must have something about him. He's shown a fee glimpses. But its the what looks like a lack of effort that pisses most people off.

I guess you could put it down to inexperience in not reading the game, or whatever. But it looks like lazyness to me. I hope he reads opinions  this and realises to make it he needs to put in a shift every time he plays.
JPC82

« Reply #8 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:09:54 »

Hutchinson Ferry and Kennedy all looked off the pace yesterday, and who were the 3 on a piss up in glasgow midweek?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:16:47 »

Hutchinson Ferry and Kennedy all looked off the pace yesterday, and who were the 3 on a piss up in glasgow midweek?

Amankwaah, Grear and Cuthbert?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:17:25 »

the most annoying thing is we needed a striker in May for this season. Cox was always going. We needed a striker in June, July, August and September.

Its now October and we still have bought in a decent goal scorer.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:21:27 »

JPC is a snitch
JPC82

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:51:21 »

common knowledge apparently, a mate told me pictures plastered all over facebook
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 12:53:09 »

pictures plastered all over facebook

Oh lord, here come the puns.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, October 18, 2009, 14:23:49 »

Of our 6 goals at home...4 have been scored by defenders, 2 by Tope.

This is a worry nearly a third of the way through the home season. It may be that this side is better suited to playing away, where there is less crowd pressure on the shot shy frontmen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: