Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 1020 ... 1220   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4326618 times)
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #15240 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 16:23:16 »

How is criticizing his inability to jump and even compete aerially a silly argument?

I'm not expecting him to be Kevin Davies but I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect somebody of his size to win his fair share. Or at least look like he might once in a while.

Why if you know he can't jump would you keep playing it long to him expecting him to all of a sudden win the headers. It's a silly argument because some things players can't control, if he can't jump stop hitting it long ffs. When we started playing it in channels and letting him turn players we see the best of him. It's like when players get abuse for being slow, they can't really do fuck all about it
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #15241 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 16:46:54 »

Why if you know he can't jump would you keep playing it long to him expecting him to all of a sudden win the headers. It's a silly argument because some things players can't control, if he can't jump stop hitting it long ffs. When we started playing it in channels and letting him turn players we see the best of him. It's like when players get abuse for being slow, they can't really do fuck all about it

which ex player was it that kingy had a famous quote about. along the likes of he's 6 foot 2 but when he jumps he's 5ft 2. theres no excuses to do being able to head the ball- its training and technique. if your playing a sole striker there will always be circumstances where you need to. be it a windy day, against the wall, down to 10 men. sometimes it will get whacked up to you.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15242 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 17:00:00 »

Wolves and Brighton after the BFG
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #15243 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 18:37:16 »

which ex player was it that kingy had a famous quote about. along the likes of he's 6 foot 2 but when he jumps he's 5ft 2. theres no excuses to do being able to head the ball- its training and technique. if your playing a sole striker there will always be circumstances where you need to. be it a windy day, against the wall, down to 10 men. sometimes it will get whacked up to you.

That was reportedly Sturrock about Fola Onion Bhaji
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #15244 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 18:42:57 »

That's fair enough, i just think fans expected a bit too much too early. He came to us only a year older than Parsons and with less experience than him too. We didn't really play the football to allow him to learn that side of the game and can't picture garner practicing goal kicks up to him
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #15245 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 18:43:16 »

come on, we aren't in the 600k player market regardless of how is structured. And rightly so

This - bonkers contemplating it.  Not to forget the wages would be another £300-500k per annum at a guess

Champ and prem clubs can take that sort of punt but no way we can.   He might break his ankle first game and never play again.

There's an outside chance of getting him back on loan for 6 months and would love to see it, but we won't be signing him.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #15246 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 19:27:15 »

And a zero needs to be taken off that valuation as well...
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #15247 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 19:43:50 »

This - bonkers contemplating it.  Not to forget the wages would be another £300-500k per annum at a guess

Champ and prem clubs can take that sort of punt but no way we can.   He might break his ankle first game and never play again.

There's an outside chance of getting him back on loan for 6 months and would love to see it, but we won't be signing him.

It would be complete bonkers - to not, at the very least contemplate it.

Ipswich’s asking price is 600k. Are they likely to get it? Probably not. Let’s say for arguments sake they accept a bid totalling 500k

Ipswich won’t get that (or be expecting that) all upfront. All of a sudden you’re down to 300k upfront, 100k 12 months later maybe 2x50k clauses based on app/goals & a sell on %.

Wages wise as a young kid he isn’t going be on a lot and Simpson has shown (by turning down Ipswich’s deal) that he feels the best thing for his career right now is playing games. Sure he wouldn’t come here for peanuts but the even the bottom of your 300-500k pa bracket is 5.7k a week. Makes him out top earner and probably one of the divisions top earner.

Would he sign for 2k a week and potentially .5k a week available in bonuses. That’s now 104-130k pa.

….and if he showed the continued improved we all think / hope he’s capable of - we could sell him for a decent sized profit in 2 years time.

Obviously my numbers are a lot of guess work - and they could be completely out. The money involved to get Simpson and pay him might (as you suggested) make the deal completely unviable…I still think the club would be mad not to at least investigate. Worse case scenario we work out a deal is beyond us and we don’t sign him, which doesn’t leave us any worse off
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #15248 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 20:51:44 »

personally think your way off with what we'll spend, but I'll be delighted to be wrong
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #15249 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 21:30:47 »

What are you on about? sometimes you don't have a choice.

Teams sussed us out pretty quickly in some games last season, pressed us high and we had no option but to go longer. Simpson was absolutely useless at even COMPETING which meant the ball just kept coming back. There's a difference between being good in the air and being prepared to compete. Simpson quite often ducked aerial duels. He didn't fancy it at all.

His ceiling is massive but for me, he sometimes came across a bit like a big friendly giant. All the gear and most of the time, little idea unless the ball was at his feet and he had open space. For me i just found it incredibly frustrating that he'd sometimes absolutely murder somebody shoulder to shoulder yet didn't want to make a nuisance of himself in the air. You don't even need to win the header btw, just compete enough to put the defender off so it doesn't go where he wants it.
dalumpimunki

Ignore
« Reply #15250 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 22:13:25 »

What are you on about? sometimes you don't have a choice.

Teams sussed us out pretty quickly in some games last season, pressed us high and we had no option but to go longer. Simpson was absolutely useless at even COMPETING which meant the ball just kept coming back. There's a difference between being good in the air and being prepared to compete. Simpson quite often ducked aerial duels. He didn't fancy it at all.

His ceiling is massive but for me, he sometimes came across a bit like a big friendly giant. All the gear and most of the time, little idea unless the ball was at his feet and he had open space. For me i just found it incredibly frustrating that he'd sometimes absolutely murder somebody shoulder to shoulder yet didn't want to make a nuisance of himself in the air. You don't even need to win the header btw, just compete enough to put the defender off so it doesn't go where he wants it.

Or you could play long balls differently? With a quick powerful player you can knock it over the top for him to chase and outmuscle defenders rather than having him play with his back to goal.

If you've got a lower league Emile Heskey stop expecting him to play like Niall Quinn.

..never go back.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #15251 on: Monday, July 4, 2022, 22:37:19 »

I'm expecting my 6'1 league 2 striker to compete in the air. Literally nothing more to it than that. It's the absolute minimum requirement for me. I don't want him to be Kevin Davies, Drogba or Quinn. I just want him to put himself about when the opportunity presents itself.

Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #15252 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2022, 03:44:00 »

It would be complete bonkers - to not, at the very least contemplate it.

Ipswich’s asking price is 600k. Are they likely to get it? Probably not. Let’s say for arguments sake they accept a bid totalling 500k

Ipswich won’t get that (or be expecting that) all upfront. All of a sudden you’re down to 300k upfront, 100k 12 months later maybe 2x50k clauses based on app/goals & a sell on %.

Wages wise as a young kid he isn’t going be on a lot and Simpson has shown (by turning down Ipswich’s deal) that he feels the best thing for his career right now is playing games. Sure he wouldn’t come here for peanuts but the even the bottom of your 300-500k pa bracket is 5.7k a week. Makes him out top earner and probably one of the divisions top earner.

Would he sign for 2k a week and potentially .5k a week available in bonuses. That’s now 104-130k pa.

….and if he showed the continued improved we all think / hope he’s capable of - we could sell him for a decent sized profit in 2 years time.

Obviously my numbers are a lot of guess work - and they could be completely out. The money involved to get Simpson and pay him might (as you suggested) make the deal completely unviable…I still think the club would be mad not to at least investigate. Worse case scenario we work out a deal is beyond us and we don’t sign him, which doesn’t leave us any worse off

Ok enquire, but as soon as £600k is quoted it's a no.

£500k is the same argument.  Most transfer fees are staged but the cash commitment is still huge and not viable for a league 2 club.  

One of the most expensive league 2 signings in history would be one of the best paid in history aswell, he wouldn't sign for £2k a week when that will clearly be outbid by clubs higher up the foodchain.  The agents fee and sign on fee would probably be the cost of another players wage aswell.

He's a good investment for someone, and I wish we were in a position to compete, but we aren't and all I think we should do is say to Ipswich " ok we'll pay £x. If that becomes close then give us a shout" and focus our energy on more realistic targets.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 5, 2022, 03:46:05 by Pookemon » Logged
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #15253 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2022, 05:15:05 »

Or pay Ipswich a smaller fee and add on a huge sell on - 50%?
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #15254 on: Tuesday, July 5, 2022, 06:25:47 »

Or pay Ipswich a smaller fee and add on a huge sell on - 50%?

Thing is both Ipswich and the player would need one, as we can't afford fee or wages, and then both would need to take a gamble that the extra sell on is worth alot more than the guaranteed cash now. 

It would also seriously reduce the return to town and make the investment even less viable.

Pages: 1 ... 1014 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 1020 ... 1220   Go Up
Print
Jump to: