Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 339   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1352858 times)
JPC82

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 17:54:05 »

maybe dell could make a list about which celebs he thinks will get pregnant, cos hes such a big wuss Smiley
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 18:02:08 »

im supprised not more poeple went for swayze apart from me and tcp
flammableBen

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 18:05:09 »

We still get points for the terminally ill though don't we? Just not as many.....thats the way forwards i think.

Yeah. 1/10th of what you would get normally.

There may well be some wisdom in picking up the almost guaranteed few points from the like of Wendy Richards and Bobby Robson, but in the end you've got no chance of hitting the big points you'd get with a younger, not ill person.

The factor of a tenth seems a bit high, although some consideration did go into it. It was between that and a score based on how many other people had picked the same person. The problem with the latter is mostly to do with the size of the fame pool we had to pick from, it would have been very easy to go through wikipedia and find obscure terminally ill people. Which is pretty boring when it comes to waiting to see who dies.

This could have been solved by stricter "fame" criteria than just having a wikipedia page, but then what do you pick instead? Stuff like an IMDB page and google search results end up being heavily skewed in favour of certain types of people.

Saying all that, if it works out ok and we play again for 2010 then it might be good to do a combo of the terminal illness rule and some sort of score weighting depending on how often they appear in lists. Have to wait and see I suppose.

It's a weird statistical balance of trying to keep the fun in making it worthwhile with lucky guesses and "feelings" about people, as well as rewarding a bit of research on who you thinks on their way out.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 18:52:14 »

Ha.

Mex's list is just a wish list innit.

Good call on Thaksin Bo, don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

Oh, and I decided against Kim Jong Ill myself because of the low pointage factor.

« Last Edit: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 18:53:54 by BANGKOK RED » Logged
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 18:57:05 »

how can you tell Smiley
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 19:01:54 »

Where does alcoholism stand in the terminal illness stakes?

/
W56196272
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 19:51:22 »

Mediating on what is terminal disease wise as well could be difficult Ben, by terminal does that include people who have previously had Strokes and Heart Attacks or are we talking only about Cancer type illnesses?

As then Kirk Douglas who is known to have had a couple of major strokes would be worth 12 points based on the 100 point system but if strokes are classes as terminal then he is only worth 1.2 points!

Thats why I didnt go for the obvious ones like Castro, Wendy Richards and Bobby Robson.

Fidel Castro would be 1.8 points.
Wendy Richards would be 3.5 points.
Sir Bob Robson 2.5 points.

I dont really care either way TBH but I am just curious really as to what the guidelines are to the pointage.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 19:55:15 »

I picked Kirk Douglas because he's old not because of previous illnesses, darn.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 19:58:54 »

I'd already asked about known alcohol/drug abuse on the Winehouse issue and the ruling was as long as they didn't have terminal liver/brain marinading they count as healthy.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 19:59:26 »

Alcoholism: Physical dependence on alcohol to the extent that stopping alcohol use will bring on withdrawal symptoms. In popular and therapeutic parlance, the term may also be used to refer to ingrained drinking habits that cause health or social problems. Treatment requires first ending the physical dependence, then making lifestyle changes that help the individual avoid relapse. In some cases, medication or hospitalization are needed. Alcohol dependence can have many serious effects on the brain,  liver, and other organs of the body.

I read that to mean that alcoholism itself isn't an illness per se, but a causal factor to a number of other illnesses, be they terminal or not.

(Bollocks quota exceeded for one day)

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 20:14:08 »

I picked Kirk Douglas because he's old not because of previous illnesses, darn.
same as.
i deliberately tried to stay away from the cancer-terminal illness sufferers ie bobby robson-wendy richard-swayze etc.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 20:49:43 »

So are my Kylie/Watson picks on limited pointage? Both are in remission AFAIK and so while they are at higher risk than normal they aren't terminal.

flammableBen

« Reply #27 on: Sunday, January 4, 2009, 21:41:39 »

They should be fine then batch. It's the other end of the scale I'm worried about judging, those who have (or are reported to have) potentially terminal diseases which aren't necessarily terminal yet.
STFC Village

« Reply #28 on: Monday, January 5, 2009, 00:31:04 »

im supprised not more poeple went for swayze apart from me and tcp
Ahem
Rossi

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Monday, January 5, 2009, 00:52:19 »

Did you not get mine FB? I emailed them to you instead of PM'ing them?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 339   Go Up
Print
Jump to: