Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 ... 339   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1352758 times)
pantomime dame

Ignore
« Reply #3870 on: Saturday, October 16, 2021, 13:27:05 »

@pantomine dame, 4d and cheltred69:

I thought the point that he was making was primarily a political one, by suggesting that the government would make a racist statement. I thought that was a pretty crass thing to do. A man has lost his life, a wife her husband and children their father irrespective of the motivation for the attack.

As for calling me names pantomine dame - Please don't!

I can't recall calling younames but if I did I wouldn't apologize. I despise wokeness wherever it is and by definition the woked.
I feel you fall into that category nicely. As the great Jimmy Greaves once said to a referee, what would you do if I called you a wanker. Ref said book you. What would you do if I thought you were a wanker? Ref, nothing.  Greavsie, I think you're a wanker.

Woke is the revenge of the mediocre
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #3871 on: Saturday, October 16, 2021, 13:31:43 »

I had a feeling this thread may have gone this way.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3872 on: Saturday, October 16, 2021, 13:41:34 »

Got to say these latter day and popular descriptions of people as ‘wokes’ or ‘snowflakes’ really pisses me off.

No doubt the reason for this dreadful act was the same as that Danish bloke and his bow and arrow attack.

It’s not about where people come from it’s their ideology.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #3873 on: Saturday, October 16, 2021, 13:48:34 »

Got to say these latter day and popular descriptions of people as ‘wokes’ or ‘snowflakes’ really pisses me off.

No doubt the reason for this dreadful act was the same as that Danish bloke and his bow and arrow attack.

It’s not about where people come from it’s their ideology.
Me too. "woke" to me will always be the past tense of "wake".Nothing else.(just realised "me too" has also been hijacked!)

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3874 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 12:05:23 »

Colin Powell.
Hunk

« Reply #3875 on: Monday, October 18, 2021, 12:15:23 »

Colin Powell.

I’m struggling to remember if he was considered a good guy or a bad guy during Dubya’s presidency. Anyway, always seemed like a thoroughly decent chap and was a good speaker, and not just in comparison to his boss
« Last Edit: Monday, October 18, 2021, 12:17:41 by Hunk » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3876 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:29:12 »

You need to wind your neck in mate. That is NOT racist shit. That is a statement of fact as reported by the media who do not seem to think it is racist to state that the assailant was ‘British of Somalian descent’. That is no different to say the assailant was ‘British of German descent’.

People like you screaming that kind of slur are demeaning free speech in an open democracy. A dangerous ground to step on.

Until a motive has been established it will be unclear if this was a racial, political, religious, ideological or an attack because the MP has not been able to help this ‘constituent’ out. The assailant may have mental health issues. However you dress this up the facts about the assailant are facts, not bloody racist.

I agree that the media stating that the murderer is Somali is not racist in itself, it is factual.

But surely people can see how the reporting of someone's ethnicity/nationality/sexuality/etc lends itself to inciting racism/sexism/etc.

Factual or not, you have to question the relevance.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3877 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 15:37:59 »

I agree that the media stating that the murderer is Somali is not racist in itself, it is factual.

But surely people can see how the reporting of someone's ethnicity/nationality/sexuality/etc lends itself to inciting racism/sexism/etc.

Factual or not, you have to question the relevance.

Perhaps to those of a really low intelligence or those looking to see something that is not there.
Hunk

« Reply #3878 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 17:32:41 »

Perhaps to those of a really low intelligence or those looking to see something that is not there.

The relevance is that Somalia is home to Al-Shabaab, who, as far as Jihadist groups go, are relatively well known and who ended up pledging to allegiance to Islamic State. The danger of course is assuming that just because he is Somalian, he’s a terrorist. But once it was announced that the murder was considered a terrorist act his Somalian heritage became relevant (in my opinion)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3879 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 18:14:37 »

The relevance is that Somalia is home to Al-Shabaab, who, as far as Jihadist groups go, are relatively well known and who ended up pledging to allegiance to Islamic State. The danger of course is assuming that just because he is Somalian, he’s a terrorist. But once it was announced that the murder was considered a terrorist act his Somalian heritage became relevant (in my opinion)

Personally I don’t give a flying fuck who he is or where he comes from etc. The fact that a defenceless serving MP has been murdered while doing his paid job is enough for me to WANT to know who, what, wherefore etc. The fact he is black, British and from Somalian descent is neither here nor there BUT I’m entitled as a citizen of this free democratic country to know. The same as I was was entitled to know who Killed Jo Cox.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #3880 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 18:17:51 »

Where should it end though, would him being say, for example, a fan of theatre be information you'd like to know?  What if he was a celiac?  Perhaps he drives a Vauxhall?
Hunk

« Reply #3881 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 18:25:29 »

Personally I don’t give a flying fuck who he is or where he comes from etc. The fact that a defenceless serving MP has been murdered while doing his paid job is enough for me to WANT to know who, what, wherefore etc. The fact he is black, British and from Somalian descent is neither here nor there BUT I’m entitled as a citizen of this free democratic country to know. The same as I was was entitled to know who Killed Jo Cox.

I quoted the wrong post. I intended to only quote Samdy, not your post where you quoted him. My mistake
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #3882 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 19:36:30 »

The danger of course is assuming that just because he is Somalian, he’s a terrorist.

Hunk

« Reply #3883 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 19:51:15 »

I’m not sure what your meme is implying. I qualified ‘the danger is assuming that just because he’s Somalian, he’s a terrorist’ with an acknowledgment that he is, indeed, a terrorist. I don’t think that’s unfair.

I should have also said the additional danger is that all people who are Somalian are terrorists, which obviously I’d vehemently disagree with. But my initial point still stands. Somalia is home to a prominent Jihadist group. Drawing a link between this terrorist murderer’s heritage and terrorism in the light of him being a terrorist murderer from a country home to a well known terrorist group is not unfounded
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 19:53:20 by Hunk » Logged
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #3884 on: Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 20:11:16 »

Your post basically says "Somalia is home to terrorists, therefore it's likely he's a terrorist, and I'm vindicated because the media have confirmed he's a terrorist".

As far as I'm aware, the fact that he is Somali still has nothing to so with the fact he's being held under terrorism laws (but I am open to being shown otherwise). He could've been inspired by white supremacists for all I know.

I am not picking on you in particular Hunk, but this is the trope that the media play on all the time. Just because someone is from Somalia/Yemen/Afghanistan etc does not automatically make them a terrorist. I don't think it has any relevance at all.

It leads to widespread blanket fear and racism, and it's wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 ... 339   Go Up
Print
Jump to: