Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 ... 339   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1352793 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1245 on: Friday, February 19, 2016, 19:48:31 »

Off topic, but yesterday I saw a funeral car with the courtege behind with a little old woman sat on her own. She must have been late 80's. Really sad.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1246 on: Friday, February 19, 2016, 20:42:50 »

Both. I saw it as a bit of a cash cow, personally.

To be fair, she did 'file' Watchman and go on to write Mocking Bird, maybe it was for the very reason Atticus wasn't enlightened enough or the story good enough. I kind of viewed it as a separate, different story I suppose.

As for cash cow, no doubt it made a lot of money. But she hardly benefited from it herself, it only got published last year! I suppose she could have written any old crap any old time, and it would sold masses. Chose to live as much of a reclusive, fame free life as possible from what I can gather.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 19, 2016, 20:49:13 by Batch » Logged
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #1247 on: Friday, February 19, 2016, 21:15:30 »

Strangely when I was at school we didn't have to study English Lit.  8 "O" levels.  3 sciences...Physics, Biology, Chemistry. Latin.....History, Geography, English Language, Maths.

In later years, I became very glad that I was never forced to over analyse a book, and so developed a love of literature.

My Dad (who I've always tried to emulate, at least academically) did the same. Except he also did Applied Maths? And  Physics I think.

To be fair, she did 'file' Watchman and go on to write Mocking Bird, maybe it was for the very reason Atticus wasn't enlightened enough or the story good enough. I kind of viewed it as a separate, different story I suppose.

As for cash cow, no doubt it made a lot of money. But she hardly benefited from it herself, it only got published last year! I suppose she could have written any old crap any old time, and it would sold masses. Chose to live as much of a reclusive, fame free life as possible from what I can gather.

Yeah, I'm more than happy to admit my feelings towards the book are based on emotion rather than fact. I'm more than happy to put it on my to read list.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1248 on: Friday, February 19, 2016, 21:23:27 »

In later years, I became very glad that I was never forced to over analyse a book, and so developed a love of literature.

I lived with a couple of (Welsh) English undergraduates at Uni. Think the English language side is fairly interesting, at least the roots and the constant evolution of language is.

English lit always seemed over-analysis of a book to second guessing what the author actually meant and presenting it as fact.

Reminds me of a story of an (unannounced and incognito)  author giving a book reading, a discussion afterwards on which there was the "what the author meant here" comment. The author disagreed, an heated debate followed up to the point the other said "look, I am the author, I really didn't mean that".To which said arguer declared the author as "wrong"  Smiley
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1249 on: Sunday, February 28, 2016, 13:02:58 »

Frank Kelly. 18 years to the day that Dermot Morgan died.

Rest in FECK and DRINK, Frank.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1250 on: Sunday, February 28, 2016, 13:42:20 »

rip father jack Hackett
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1251 on: Sunday, February 28, 2016, 13:43:05 »

Frank Kelly. 18 years to the day that Dermot Morgan died.

Rest in FECK and DRINK, Frank.

Father Ted, one of the few comedies that I still will watch whenever on the telly and still makes me laugh a lot.

Rip fathers.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #1252 on: Monday, February 29, 2016, 11:51:12 »

He loved his brick Sad
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #1253 on: Tuesday, March 1, 2016, 04:21:43 »

George Kennedy. He wont mean much to a lot, but was an oft used actor to play the bad guy against Clint. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and The Eiger Sanction being 2 of my faves.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1254 on: Tuesday, March 1, 2016, 07:52:13 »

George Kennedy. He wont mean much to a lot, but was an oft used actor to play the bad guy against Clint. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and The Eiger Sanction being 2 of my faves.

...and for people with a comedic preference, Cpt. Hocken from the Naked Gun films.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1255 on: Tuesday, March 1, 2016, 11:16:08 »

brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #1256 on: Thursday, March 3, 2016, 06:51:15 »

Martin Crowe dies of cancer at the age of 51. Brilliant batsman for Somerset and New Zealand
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #1257 on: Friday, March 4, 2016, 03:33:37 »

Only just found out that Douglas Slocombe died. Cinematographer on the first three Indiana Jones films, and that was at the end of his career.

Last Word - the radio4 obituary show - has been really fucking good so far this year. Put the podcast on your rotation. You won't regret it.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1258 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 10:42:44 »

Sir George Martin. R.I.P.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1259 on: Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 11:12:48 »

Sir George Martin. R.I.P.
Did Aaron Ramsey score last night?