Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 ... 340   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1364428 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #1035 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 17:16:27 »

Don Howe has died. Arguably the best football coach of his era.

Out of interest where did he get that reputation from? Always been interested, as heard it as I grew up, now looking back I really can't see much evidence for such a claim.

Ignore
« Reply #1036 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 17:25:00 »

Out of interest where did he get that reputation from? Always been interested, as heard it as I grew up, now looking back I really can't see much evidence for such a claim.
Really?
I've heard and read a lot about him from managers and players of that time who all were very complimentary. Wimbledon fa cup winning side for instance. England when they actually were good.
The bloke was very much sought out to coach teams.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #1037 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 17:26:31 »

Yeah I know he was 'pretty good' but like you say people used to really big him up and now looking back he didn't really achieve an enormous amount to back it up. Not meaning to do the bloke an injustice, especially today. Just interested.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1038 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 17:49:48 »

Howe's reputation was forged by coaching the Arsenal double team of 71. He kind of invented the 1-0 to the Arsenal culture

Not saying he was responsible for the negative/pragmatic football of the 70's, which led to England getting left behind by the likes of the Dutch, but it sure didn't help. 

The symbol of this side was Peter Storey, previously a full back, but drafted into midfield to kick people, which he was more than happy to do before falling foul of the law in later life.

They didn't trust flair, had invested in Peter Marinello from Hibs, reckoned the Sweatie George Best....he barely got a game before being shunted off to Pompey.

Charlie George briefly shone particularly in the Cup Final, but soon moved on and never really showed his talent.

George Graham, was part of that side, and became famed for the defensive organisation he'd inherited from Howe.

Whenever a side shipped a few goals, there'd be a call go up to get in Don Howe....probably part of the reason why British coaches have such a poor reputation in the world game.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #1039 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 18:18:53 »

So a fairly homeward looking 'best coaches of his generation'. That's what I was thinking. Remember his TV work in the 80's early 90's not being too exciting either. Still he did well out of the game, enjoyed a good life.

Ignore
« Reply #1040 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 18:21:31 »

Was England coach under Robson and Venables. Not to shabby times and sides to look back upon.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #1041 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 18:46:32 »

More notably, Don Howe coached the Arsenal team that reached the League Cup Final in 1969 taking the famous Swindon Town to extra time and succumbing only to two late goals by THE Don.the greatest player of his generation.

In spite of his influence on coaching at the highest level, Don was not especially self-important or high minded and in later years he became involved with Newbury Town, commenting:

There's no difference between coaching England and coaching Newbury Town.  The reason is that they're all blokes.  There are England blokes, Manchester United blokes, Arsenal blokes and Newbury blokes.  You are coaching men, human beings.   Don Howe, who worked with both the England Squad and his local Isthmian League part-timers, 1994

RIP
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 19:06:06 by RedRag » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1042 on: Wednesday, December 23, 2015, 20:05:33 »

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I met Don Howe at half time during our play off win over Sunderland.

Rip.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Mrs Brown

Ignore
« Reply #1043 on: Thursday, December 24, 2015, 09:49:57 »

On the subject of Don Howe, I have a story to tell of my one encounter with him...

In 1979, on the day that Swindon Town played Arsenal in the League Cup quarter final replay at the County Ground, I was helping out in the sports shop, selling programmes, souvenirs, etc, in the afternoon.  A phone call came in from the main office that they'd run out of match day programmes there and I was duly despatched to the office with a large box of them.  As I walked alongside the North Stand (as it was then), a team coach pulled up and a man (who I later realised was Don Howe) was knocking on the window, waving at me to stop.  The coach pulled up and the man came down the steps and asked if he could have a programme.  I told him that if he wanted one they were 35p each.  After checking all his pockets, he found he had no money on him.  I'm sure you're expecting me to say that I gave him a programme anyway, but I didn't.  I just shrugged and walked on!

I always maintained that we won that night because Don Howe and Terry Neill didn't know what team they were putting out as they didn't have a programme to tell them!

Anyway, RIP Don.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1044 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 08:04:09 »

R.I.P Lemmy  Sad
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1045 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 09:25:07 »

rip Lemmy, and condolences to the person(s) on here so knew him
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1046 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 09:27:01 »

I saw Motorhead a few years back now, co-headlining with Alice Cooper and supported by Joan Jett. They were good fun really, Lemmy has had a pretty fantastic innings considering his lifestyle. I would say RIP, but I don't think peace was really his thing. Rest in noise.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #1047 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 09:30:35 »

Meadowlark Lemon  as well. Threw a bucket of shredded paper over me once.
Flashheart

« Reply #1048 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 09:54:48 »

Rest in noise.

Too Cool
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #1049 on: Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 10:43:04 »

He didnt do resting or peace well.  I was about to start properly advancing the tour for the end of January where we were going to be taking out the 'Bomber' lighting rig again.  I first worked their tour in 2004 and had been doing so regularly since.

Its hardly a surprise.  But as Ive said on FB, he was the original.  Anything you've done that you think was rock n roll, Lemmy had already done.

Rest in peace Lem.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 ... 340   Go Up
Print
Jump to: