Pages: 1 ... 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 ... 340   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1368398 times)
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #4095 on: Saturday, February 19, 2022, 21:46:57 »

Scored his final goal against us at the Kassam, before his toe injury. Hope he enjoyed it.

Very sad news, RiP Joey.

« Last Edit: Saturday, February 19, 2022, 21:52:23 by Banker » Logged
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #4096 on: Saturday, February 19, 2022, 21:49:47 »

Very sad news. RIP Joey.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #4097 on: Saturday, February 19, 2022, 22:16:36 »

Condolences to all feeling Joey's loss.

Your heart was with that club as that of their fans was with you.

Your controversial period with us only served to embellish your status as one of the most loyal of OUFC's legends.

Rest in Peace.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #4098 on: Saturday, February 19, 2022, 23:16:21 »

Was before my time but know of a song or two from the terraces which mentioned him.

As many on here have stated, at times like this we can look beyond the rivalry and pay tribute to the man who I am sure many family, friends and fans will remember fondly. RIP
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #4099 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 01:40:24 »

Quote from: adje ⁸link=topic=32421.msg1667954#msg1667954 date=1645305483
Tragic. Never popular here although I saw him put in 2 quality performances for us at home v Wolves and away v Charlton in a second leg League cup tie monumental come back. RIP

Forgive me, but I don't think that's right.  Joey was Oxford born & bred.  Loved his town & loved his club.  Also loved beating STFC.  Then came the move to West Ham in 1994.  He was in his early 20s and should have been able to deal with that but, for whatever reason, he couldn't.  His support network - his family, his girlfriend, his mates - they were all in Oxford.  He wasn't ready to leave.  There was a mental health issue that got ridiculed in 1994.  In the 2020s, he'd have been better supported.

Instead, he found another club closer to home that enabled him to carry on living with his support network in Oxford.  That happened to be us, Swindon Town. Of course, there were many of us who hated that.  But even more so in Oxford.  Fans who felt betrayed by his moving over to Swindon.  I should know.  I was living in Oxford in 1994.  It hurt the locals.

And once Joey was one of us, he performed.  There was a bond with John Gorman that was clear to see.  Essentially brought in as a replacement for Nicky Summerbee after his Man City move, he harried down the wing - as Nicky did.  His crosses were special.

After McMahon took over, Joey fell out of favour and soon found himself back at Oxford.  And then continued to make us suffer.

But let's not forget, please, that he was briefly one of us.  He wore the shirt and made us cheer.  He filled Summerbee shoes - not easy.

And now he's gone.  And we should all be sorry about that.  There's a match programme I have somewhere from the mid-1990s that interviews him and his family.  And I'm going to search it out tomorrow.

RIP Joey.  Fuck the rivalry.  You were a human, first & foremost, & we should all be sad now that you're gone.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 01:51:29 by Ardiles » Logged
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #4100 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 02:09:09 »

Forgive me, but I don't think that's right.  Joey was Oxford born & bred.  Loved his town & loved his club.  Also loved beating STFC.  Then came the move to West Ham in 1994.  He was in his early 20s and should have been able to deal with that but, for whatever reason, he couldn't.  His support network - his family, his girlfriend, his mates - they were all in Oxford.  He wasn't ready to leave.  There was a mental health issue that got ridiculed in 1994.  In the 2020s, he'd have been better supported.

Instead, he found another club closer to home that enabled him to carry on living with his support network in Oxford.  That happened to be us, Swindon Town. Of course, there were many of us who hated that.  But even more so in Oxford.  Fans who felt betrayed by his moving over to Swindon.  I should know.  I was living in Oxford in 1994.  It hurt the locals.

And once Joey was one of us, he performed.  There was a bond with John Gorman that was clear to see.  Essentially brought in as a replacement for Nicky Summerbee after his Man City move, he harried down the wing - as Nicky did.  His crosses were special.

After McMahon took over, Joey fell out of favour and soon found himself back at Oxford.  And then continued to make us suffer.

But let's not forget, please, that he was briefly one of us.  He wore the shirt and made us cheer.  He filled Summerbee shoes - not easy.

And now he's gone.  And we should all be sorry about that.  There's a match programme I have somewhere from the mid-1990s that interviews him and his family.  And I'm going to search it out tomorrow.

RIP Joey.  Fuck the rivalry.  You were a human, first & foremost, & we should all be sad now that you're gone.

Really good post, RIP Joey, such sad news. Puts football into perspective
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4101 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 02:55:22 »

[/quote

An excellent poignant post. Very respectful considerate words and a fitting tribute to a decent family man and a talented footballer.

So, give no fucks
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #4102 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 03:22:48 »

Horrible to hear, RIP Joey.
Moss

Ignore
« Reply #4103 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 07:32:29 »

Nice post, sums up my feelings exactly. RIP Joey. Shocking news.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #4104 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 07:51:57 »

Excellent post. Sad news indeed. RIP

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #4105 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 08:30:17 »

Forgive me, but I don't think that's right.  Joey was Oxford born & bred.  Loved his town & loved his club.  Also loved beating STFC.  Then came the move to West Ham in 1994.  He was in his early 20s and should have been able to deal with that but, for whatever reason, he couldn't.  His support network - his family, his girlfriend, his mates - they were all in Oxford.  He wasn't ready to leave.  There was a mental health issue that got ridiculed in 1994.  In the 2020s, he'd have been better supported.

Instead, he found another club closer to home that enabled him to carry on living with his support network in Oxford.  That happened to be us, Swindon Town. Of course, there were many of us who hated that.  But even more so in Oxford.  Fans who felt betrayed by his moving over to Swindon.  I should know.  I was living in Oxford in 1994.  It hurt the locals.

And once Joey was one of us, he performed.  There was a bond with John Gorman that was clear to see.  Essentially brought in as a replacement for Nicky Summerbee after his Man City move, he harried down the wing - as Nicky did.  His crosses were special.

After McMahon took over, Joey fell out of favour and soon found himself back at Oxford.  And then continued to make us suffer.

But let's not forget, please, that he was briefly one of us.  He wore the shirt and made us cheer.  He filled Summerbee shoes - not easy.

And now he's gone.  And we should all be sorry about that.  There's a match programme I have somewhere from the mid-1990s that interviews him and his family.  And I'm going to search it out tomorrow.

RIP Joey.  Fuck the rivalry.  You were a human, first & foremost, & we should all be sad now that you're gone.

Class post.
Spot on, was always a Yellow and comfortable with that.
As posted on a separate thread, used to chat away to him when with his childhood sweetheart as we used to drink and frequent Oxford in our younger days.
Met him years later at Oxford dogs, as he got into Greyhound racing, was only there for a piss up and spoke for 10 minutes. He called out John Gorman as a very special person.
Never had a problem with Joey Beauchamp and part of my happy memories growing up in enemy territory.
Liked the lad as a person and genuinely saddened by the news.
A terrific footballer that had the talent to do play at a higher level than he did, but just loved his quiet lifestyle around the place that was his home.
RIP.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #4106 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 09:09:16 »

As I remember his stint here also.
Formed a very good understanding with Fjørtoft as well.

Really feel for his family, devastating for them.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4107 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 09:55:26 »

Really upset by Joeys death, met him many times while i worked at the club, he was a lovely gentle bloke who always had time for a chat. Such a sad end, although he was not universally liked by many Town fans for his links i have never heard anyone who ever met him say a bad word about him, and rightly so. RIP Joey.

Rivalries mean fuck all in these tough circumstances.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #4108 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 10:15:52 »

Joey was always a scummer. His career before us and after us showed that (if we needed anymore proof) and he was always the pantomime villain after that (aren’t they all in football anyway)

I’ve enjoyed shouting abuse at him. I’ve enjoyed singing countless anti Joey songs down the years and I enjoy that video of our players kicking the crap out of him at the CG. The same way he no doubt enjoyed scoring against us.

Still naturally sad that he’s gone and left behind friends and family. He’ll never be forgotten by the Town fans for a number of reason. Some good, some bad (purely in a footballing context) but we’ll all still smile when we reminisce about them.
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #4109 on: Sunday, February 20, 2022, 10:27:08 »

He’ll never be forgotten by the Town fans for a number of reason. Some good, some bad (purely in a footballing context) but we’ll all still smile when we reminisce about them.

I remember kicking a can down the street with my mate after we beat Derby in the cup, pretending to be hjm. I remember him giving us the Vs after scoring against us at the Manor. I remember loving every minute of his return to the County Ground, and the torrid time he was given by our players.

RIP Joey.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 273 [274] 275 276 277 ... 340   Go Up
Print
Jump to: