Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Playing like a Sturrock team  (Read 3756 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:59:03 »

But at the same time the players were probably playing for eachother and it brought them together as they were fearing for their future.
Did you see the Brighton game? I've rarely seen such a demotivated, disinterested shell-shocked performance. Now, I'm not having a go at the players, it was understandable as the club was on the verge of disappearing, but that's why I discount the Brighton/Carlisle games. Once it was clear the takeover was going to happen, the players relaxed and we saw some decent performances, under Byrne and Williams.
glos_robin

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:03:49 »

Did you see the Brighton game? I've rarely seen such a demotivated, disinterested shell-shocked performance. Now, I'm not having a go at the players, it was understandable as the club was on the verge of disappearing, but that's why I discount the Brighton/Carlisle games. Once it was clear the takeover was going to happen, the players relaxed and we saw some decent performances, under Byrne and Williams.
We'll have to agree to disagree but I think this seasons obvious coaching deficiencies go to show their not the mesiahs that many make them out to be and are out of their depth. The shit organisation isn't purely Malpas' fault and I think the near fight between Byrne and Zaaboub last season shows he's an abrasive character and would have man-managmenet issues and standing on the lines constantly swearing at players will only get you so far in the game.  Fitton appointed Malpas ahead of them which says everything really.....
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:06:49 »

Zaaboub was a gobby shit though! Throwing a temper tantrum for being subbed is not on.
glos_robin

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:11:50 »

Zaaboub was a gobby shit though! Throwing a temper tantrum for being subbed is not on.
Yet Sturrock controlled him and got him to do a relatively good job for us........
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:12:48 »

Not really he was lazy as fuck.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:13:47 »

I'm inclined to agree with glos on this one.  Byrne and Williams did little to suggest they'd be worth a go on a full time basis.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:18:39 »

But no-one on here is saying that Byrne and Williams were (or are) worth a go full time are they?

Glos Robin has, just for a change, started ranting on a tangent.
glos_robin

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:22:23 »

But no-one on here is saying that Byrne and Williams were (or are) worth a go full time are they?

Tails said our style of football is probably more down to Byrne more than Malpas for which I've seen no evidence whatsoever to back that up.....
dell boy

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:22:42 »

I thought in spells we played some decent football last night!!!
Maybe it was just me ... it wasn't all just down the channels and we actually played it across the back a bit instead of hoofing it, the full backs received the ball from the keeper and tried to build as well, first this season at home.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:24:55 »

Tails said our style of football is probably more down to Byrne more than Malpas for which I've seen no evidence whatsoever to back that up.....

I'm sure Talis was serious

Byrne and Williams in my opinion werent as good as some make them out and but then I dont think they are as bad and evil as others make them out to be.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:27:19 »

We'll have to agree to disagree but I think this seasons obvious coaching deficiencies go to show their not the mesiahs that many make them out to be and are out of their depth.
I don't think anyone's characterised them as messiahs, just pointed out we played well and will passion when they were in charge.

I think the near fight between Byrne and Zaaboub last season shows he's an abrasive character
I think it shows Zabooub was a sulky twat and commendable restraint on Byrne's part it took that long.
standing on the lines constantly swearing at players will only get you so far in the game
Except for the fact that's a gross caricature - yes Byrne's excitable and certainly does his fair share of jumping up and down etc. But that hasn't seemed to hinder Ferguson, 'Arry etc has it? And aren't you one of those who's slated Malpas throughout for "just standing there"?

Fitton appointed Malpas ahead of them which says everything really.....
A decision you've said was wrong from the outset. Now you're trying to use it to back you up. So was it the wrong decision or not?

Seems to me you've got it in for Byrne nearly as bad as you have for Malpas and will twist back the same arguments you've used against Malpas and argue the exact opposite to have a go at Byrne. No, I don't think he's the messiah, but the fact remains we played well under Byrne and Williams. And just because you apparently don't like Byrne personally, doesn't change that.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:51:16 »

It may not have been suggested on this thread, but people have said before they wouldn't mind seeing Byrne and Williams in charge rather than MM.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 18:11:56 »

In fairness to Tails our change in style of play coincided with Sturrock leaving. Malpas wasn't even here. I think it's yet another assumption but there's more evidence to suggest it's down to Byrne than Malpas. Maybe Malpas likes that style too though. Who knows?
Spencer_White

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 18:25:32 »

Going back to the original point. The telling thing was the removal of Lee Peacock as a midfielder. That was something Malpas did after Barnet FA Cup, and to be frank its set us back 6 months. Weve wasted a good player on the reserves. A player that has all the qualities we struggle for (besides pace), determination, consistancy, passion, heart.

I like Easton. Nalis is OK. But the fact Pook started and we won means that both these players are on thin ice. We need a quality midfielder. I dont know how good Kavanagh is, but Carlisle got him on loan and he had it all. Shame we missed out.

Malpas is often willing to play midfielders as full backs, which is something I never saw Sturrock do. But then Malpas was having a word with a few 'top managers' in the week.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 21:01:13 »

In fairness to Tails our change in style of play coincided with Sturrock leaving. Malpas wasn't even here. I think it's yet another assumption but there's more evidence to suggest it's down to Byrne than Malpas. Maybe Malpas likes that style too though. Who knows?
Malpas is on record as saying he'd like us to play a more open attractive style of football, fwiw, and is not one to meekly accept suggestions from his no 2 that go against his own instincts. Tails does have a point that Byrne probably agrees but I'd suggest it is that way round
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: