Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Playing like a Sturrock team  (Read 3757 times)
Colin Todd

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 15:22:58 »

Whilst its a bit obvious who Malpas might have been talking to (ref:yesterdays adver headline) last night was very much a throwback to the sturrock era in terms of playing style in my opinion:

-2 hard working not "footballing" centre mids
-2 wingers told to stay wide
- Full backs not getting forward as much
- Frequent balls down the channels that often led to us moving up the pitch even if they wernt especially great

So has Malpas given up on his vision of us being a footballing passing team?  Frankly I hope he has because we looked a whole lot more effective last night then we did trying to be less direct. The removal of the pedestrian Nalis from centre mid helped, both centre mids got around the pitch well and won the ball back far more than any other game I've seen this season. If we could somehow sort the defence out we'd look a decent side - we did ride our luck a bit at the back still, the difference being we didnt get punished like we have so often this season.

The players looked a lot more comfortable playing in this fashion to me. I simply dont think we have the right players to try and be a passing team currently. There is not enough technical ability with the exception of a couple of players, nor is the teams movement, intelligence or pace particually good.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 15:25:26 by Colin Todd » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 15:29:47 »

Best way to describe it I think we performed like a Paul Sturrock team.

Best way to play, hope we play in a similiar style every week.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 15:53:50 »

I think the footballing passing style was more Byrne than Malpas tbh.
Dozno9

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 15:54:25 »

Or is this Sturrock Major trying to change the tatics to get Sturrock Minor a new contract? Smiley
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:03:05 »

I think the footballing passing style was more Byrne than Malpas tbh.

What do you base that on then tails? (just interested)
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:06:40 »

Because Malpas is a jock and there is no way he'd encourage decent free flowing football.  Cheesy
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:08:16 »

Because Malpas is a jock and there is no way he'd encourage decent free flowing football.  Cheesy

A concept that's completely alien to Alex Ferguson as well.
flammableBen

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:09:01 »

The Scottish invented the passing game. No wait was that the Hungarians. I get them confused.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:09:10 »

good point, it's not like Scotland's ever produced any decent managers, too busy gettin pissed ain't they!!  Bloody jocks.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:12:07 »

good point, it's not like Scotland's ever produced any decent managers, too busy gettin pissed ain't they!!  Bloody jocks.

Glad you agree.

In all seriousness, we played some decent stuff under Byrne and we've played similar under Malpas, but not consistently. I don't think it always works and hopefully now the management team have found a way to play that does.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:13:41 »

The Scottish invented the passing game. No wait was that the Hungarians. I get them confused.

Arthur Rowe's "push and run" Spurs side of the late 40's early 50's, invented sexy football. 

A tradition they've tried to carry on til this day....it is also why STFC have had so many ex Spurs players and ex Spurs players as manager.
glos_robin

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:45:15 »

Glad you agree.

In all seriousness, we played some decent stuff under Byrne and we've played similar under Malpas, but not consistently. I don't think it always works and hopefully now the management team have found a way to play that does.

We also played some shit under Byrne & Williams like the Carlisle, Forest Green, Barnet and Brighton games. I think alot of peoples judgement on Byrne & Williams is clouded by the Swansea performance as the team weren't much better if any than now. The teams we beat or drew with under them were the likes of Bournemouth, Yeovil, Walsall & Hartlepool all of which were about the same standard as us or worst. I just don't get where this idea that we were good under Byrne and Williams comes from.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:48:07 by glos_robin » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:49:32 »

Aye but we played the Carlisle game with a shoestring squad due to injuries, we played most of the game with 10 men, Carlisle were absolutely flying at the time, the whole atmosphere at STFC was poisonous and even then it wasn't as if we were terrible. We played some fantastic football under Byrne and they played with passion as well so at least when we didn't get a result it wasn't due to the gutless performances we've seen under Malpas this season.

Doesn't matter what level they are at we still played well. Walsall were 4th when we played them at the Bescot as well and we were superb.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:52:56 »

I just don't get where this idea that we were good under Byrne and Williams comes from.
Because we at least looked like we were playing with some passion and pride. And it's probably around the last time we strung more than two decent performances together back to back. Oh, and you missed the Forest game off your list - hell of a performance, whatever the result.

And I tend to discount the Carlisle/Brighton games - remember that was when we were hoicking cardboard coffins to games? The morale of the whole club was rock bottom - I doubt any manager could have got much out of the players then.
glos_robin

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:55:13 »

Because we at least looked like we were playing with some passion and pride. And it's probably around the last time we strung more than two decent performances together back to back. Oh, and you missed the Forest game off your list - hell of a performance, whatever the result.

And I tend to discount the Carlisle/Brighton games - remember that was when we were hoicking cardboard coffins to games? The morale of the whole club was rock bottom - I doubt any manager could have got much out of the players then.
But at the same time the players were probably playing for eachother and it brought them together as they were fearing for their future.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: