Pages: 1 ... 3463 3464 3465 [3466] 3467 3468 3469 ... 3964   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8868238 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #51975 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 09:47:52 »

Nine players formally transfer listed - you don't see much of that any more.

I think Peterborough do that every season. Any player with only a year left on their contract is automatically made formally available for transfer.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #51976 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 09:52:36 »

Nine players formally transfer listed - you don't see much of that any more.
Standard Peterborough transfer policy to transfer list anyone with 1 year left on their contract. Makes sense I suppose.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #51977 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 10:08:09 »

I think Peterborough do that every season. Any player with only a year left on their contract is automatically made formally available for transfer.

That would certainly explain why they only seemed to have three players out of contract in total. Seems like a decent policy, albeit at our level a year left on the contract would be most of the squad most of the time.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #51978 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 10:21:51 »

Particularly odd - as some of those players might happily sign new deals if offered? Assuming Posh would happily keep at least some of them.

There is some logic to it but it also has an air of cutting your nose off to spite your face.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #51979 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 10:30:17 »

I would expect that they have offered deals to the ones that they would happily keep, don't agree by X date then we will put you on the transfer list - doesn't mean they can't come back at any point and sign the contract offered to them.  As long as the players and agents know the format and risks, it allows them to see who else is interested and come back if nothing transpires, should the offer still be on the table.  It also gives the club the chance to negotiate if they do come back.

Like I say, as long as everybody is aligned on the rules, can work for both parties.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #51980 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 10:30:54 »

That would certainly explain why they only seemed to have three players out of contract in total. Seems like a decent policy, albeit at our level a year left on the contract would be most of the squad most of the time.

It's a good policy but it essentially means you have to bring in everybody on 3 year deals for it to work.

Otherwise, on a 2 year deal, 1 good season and you're forced to sell straight away. And the turnover of players will be too excessive.

It's a shame from our point of view Hutton wasn't 3 years.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #51981 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 10:44:41 »

I would expect that they have offered deals to the ones that they would happily keep, don't agree by X date then we will put you on the transfer list - doesn't mean they can't come back at any point and sign the contract offered to them.  As long as the players and agents know the format and risks, it allows them to see who else is interested and come back if nothing transpires, should the offer still be on the table.  It also gives the club the chance to negotiate if they do come back.

Like I say, as long as everybody is aligned on the rules, can work for both parties.

Logically I fully get what you’re saying but it’s the end of May.
That’s seems extremely early to have decided who going into their last year of contract you want to keep, offered them a deal, give them a deadline to sign it, them not sign it and then transfer list them.

I assume just due to the sheer timing. They must transfer list first then offer out the deals to who they wish to keep and go from there.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #51982 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 10:47:44 »

It's a good policy but it essentially means you have to bring in everybody on 3 year deals for it to work.

Otherwise, on a 2 year deal, 1 good season and you're forced to sell straight away. And the turnover of players will be too excessive.

I think their general policy is always to offer 3 or 4 year contracts IIRC. Obviously that's great if your players are a success as they get to cash in, but if they flop you are stuck with them for ages unless you can flog em.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #51983 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 10:48:06 »

Easy to say in hindsight, but the opposite could be said of some of those on 2 or 3 year deals that we would be happy to leave.

I guess that’s the difficulty of signing players, some will settle well and perform and others not so much.

As we always see some clubs and situations suit players and others don’t.
welshred

Ignore
« Reply #51984 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 11:25:34 »

Nathan Thompson confirmed as being released.

Would be one hell of a signing. Makes sense on so many levels, ticks the experienced pro and local lad boxes, plus we desperately need decent defenders.
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #51985 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 11:28:18 »

Would be one hell of a signing. Makes sense on so many levels, ticks the experienced pro and local lad boxes, plus we desperately need decent defenders.

I think i'm in agreement. We definitely missed a leader at the back at times, I think if you have FBT and Nathan Thompson as 2 of your back 3 I don't think we'd lack for 2 defenders that can really get the defence organised back there.

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #51986 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 12:44:05 »

Logically I fully get what you’re saying but it’s the end of May.
That’s seems extremely early to have decided who going into their last year of contract you want to keep, offered them a deal, give them a deadline to sign it, them not sign it and then transfer list them.

I assume just due to the sheer timing. They must transfer list first then offer out the deals to who they wish to keep and go from there.

Don't forget, not all clubs are basket cases like ours and some start preparing for the summer and talking to players as early as February - it's conceivable that by end of May they have offered extentions/made decisions and spoken to the players agents to see where their mindset is.

I get that it is difficult when they are challenging or in a relegation battle as Posh often are, but if they have a set process and everyone knows that process (and the right people in place to manage it) then it would be workable.  They probably set the blanket rule that if you are reaching your last year you are going on the list but that doesn't mean that a contract offer is not in place.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #51987 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 15:37:40 »

Three biases to beware of though:
- Father Time bias: after x years and y injuries, how well do we actually know the player and his current capabilities?
- Rose-tinted bias: Ah Nathan getting that Brizzle thug Elliott sent off and celebrating in front of the City fans. Yeah, but all those red cards, the injuries
- Prodigal bias: name a player who was better on his second stint with us

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Family at War

Midfield Maestro

Ignore
« Reply #51988 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 15:51:01 »

Chris Kamara
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #51989 on: Friday, May 26, 2023, 15:53:33 »

- Prodigal bias: name a player who was better on his second stint with us

Ben Gladwin…. Maybe? His run of 7/8 games in the 14/15 season doesn’t make that spell better than this most recent one imo. Not much in it mind.

Nicky Ajose? Scored 25 in his second stint here. Only two coming to mind atm.

But, I agree to an extent. I’m not expecting this Nathan Thompson to propel us single handedly to the championship if he were to sign, he absolutely has injuries concerns and is early 30s. But he played over 30 games in a team that finished in the play offs and was a game off the lottery ticket to the championship so all in all I think it would be a solid signing.
Pages: 1 ... 3463 3464 3465 [3466] 3467 3468 3469 ... 3964   Go Up
Print
Jump to: