Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where and why  (Read 18655 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Thursday, September 23, 2010, 22:44:46 »

I was born in Chatham but moved to Swindon when I was a toddler.

Just started supporting Swindon because it seemed better to support the town you have the closest bond with. It probably helped that we were doing well when I started getting into football as well.

Are Gills your second team?  Wink
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 00:14:00 »

I was born in Swindon to a Dad from Swindon and a Mum who was born in Coventry but moved to Swindon as a child. Lived in Plymouth for 3 years because of University but I'm a Stratton boy through and through... Even though I now live in the town centre, I quite like going to my mates on Grange Drive to walk with him up Shrivvy Road to feel all nostalgic!

My Dad took me to see Swindon Town beat Wolves 3-2 in Division 1 in 1994. As a 6 year old child I fell in love with it instantly- I'd never experienced anything like it! Wine gums, the smell of smoke (yes smoking was allowed at football!), shandys at the swiss chalet with my dad... all wonderful to me!

I have some footballing pedigree because Roger 'Ernie' Hunt is my 2nd Cousin. Only met the old bugger once and that was at his book signing in the club shop before Swindon beat Hull 4-2 in 2005 I think? His story post-football is a sad one of alcoholism/bankruptcy etc so my family tell me. Shame when you look at great players like Don Rogers and Ernie Hunt surviving on a pittance yet even average players like Brian Howard live the life of riley and Wayne Rooney's spent more on hookers than Ernie made from football!!

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 07:03:51 »

Born in Chippenham (I am a Calney though  Smiley). First Town game a 3-0 win against Oxford in '89 (I never went as a child).
Reading back through this there are quite a few bods with Calne connections; any of you go to JBS in the 80's?  Huh? Huh?

I left in the summer of 1981, so I just made it  into the 80's Smiley
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 08:25:47 »

similar story to most moved to Swindon from Newcastle and my dad took me watch Swindon and then i was hooked can't remember the first game
However the Same season remember the fucking bastards at Wolves when we lost the semi final and their Goalie took Mayes out when he was through on goal fucker should have been sent off.
We where doing well that season until that game
ScillyRed

« Reply #154 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 08:33:47 »

Born Bradford - lived in Reading, Wantage, Harwell, O*ford (an abboration), Eastbourne & now at last the Isles of Scilly.

Started regular supporting 1970 - missed Wembley 69 cos my dad was ill  Sad

Level of attendace has gradually dwindled from all home + some ways to virtually none  Sad
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 09:07:40 »

Born in Swindon and a lifelong fan since my grandad who was a scout for the town took me along in the early seventies,I cant remember the first game as my memory was not what it was and i was to young, But i do remember getting in free every game.

Those were the days when you looked forward to the smell of cigars because you knew you was at football.

cavpete

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 09:11:29 »

Born in swindon parents from Canada dad was in the army. I went with my gramp in the 70's and followed them ever since. did all the home and away when in the prem and also worked as a steward about 88/89. Been all over Europe seen some big clubs but always been swindon. Now taking my son who is totally a town nut makes me laugh as when he hears or see's a oxford fan or player he boo's (i did'nt teach him).

luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 09:44:08 »

Born in PMH in Old Town, grew up in the surrounding areas... :-)
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 10:42:51 »

Born & bed in Swindon area, both parents from Swindon. First game was with my dad in 79, I think a 4-3 win over Exeter. memories of standing at the front of Stratton Bank with a mate while dad stood at the back with his mates. Buying some chewing gum before the game hoping that Jimmy Allen would take one of them at the start of the game, Drifter at half time from the lad with the tray wallking round the outside of the pitch.

After a few years "supporting" Liverpool when they were winning everything in the 70s/80s, I came back to the fold a bit in the Macari & Ardiles eras, then really got stuck in when Hoddle arrived.

Been on and off ever since, did home & away Premier season and a couple more, then when kids came along stopped going for a bit. Took kids occasionally as they grew up, got season tickets in DRS for me & my 2 boys when ticket prices came down a couple of years ago, had them ever since
bassett boy

we will overcome

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 12:04:07 »

Born In Reading, Never lived in Swindon, In fact i've never even stayed overnight, and don't even have any relatives who have ever lived there. If I wander more than 100 yds from the ground I get completely lost.
Therefore why?
dporter

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 12:40:23 »

Started supporting Swindon in 1986. I remember walking past the CG with my parents whilst a match was on and hearing all the cheering as a goal was scored. After that i went on and on at my Dad to take me but he wouldn't because of all the 'trouble'! We then moved to Germany as he was in the Army and i didn't get to go to my first game until the '92/'93 season when a school teacher took us to see Swindon v Wolves in the cup. Think my Dad kept his fear of the 'trouble' as i only got him to his first Swindon game when we played Fulham at the beginning of the year and even then it wasn't at the CG!  Cheesy
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 18:30:58 »

tl;dr

Plastic glory supporter.

How do you work that out, when I've only missed going regularly for around 5 years in the last 20 for reasons given?  I can't remember the other 15 years being all glory?  Hmmm
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 19:07:37 »

tl;dr

Plastic glory supporter.

TIT.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 19:10:07 »

Shame when you look at great players like Don Rogers and Ernie Hunt surviving on a pittance yet even average players like Brian Howard live the life of riley and Wayne Rooney's spent more on hookers than Ernie made from football!!

Don isn't exactly a pauper....whilst if he was around now he'd probably be a stupidly loaded millionaire, he came into the game at a time when the minimum wage had just been abolished, so did make some decent money for the day.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #164 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 19:39:27 »

Maximum wage!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: