Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Favourite Radio Station(s)  (Read 6407 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 15:59:16 »

Careful, or we'll risk ending up with Sam Matterface
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 16:09:45 »

I'm with you here.  And he's not the only one.  Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine.  Nothing against any of them in particular.  But it does grate that recruitment seems to have been frozen 20+ years ago.  These are prime time spots on a prime station.  How much talent over the years has been blocked, or gone elsewhere?  I know Radio 2 isn't meant to be cutting edge...but you run the risk of it becoming very outdated with so little turnover.

Different topic, but similar to Gary Lineker's tenure on Match of the Day.  23 years (& counting) is simply too long a stint.

Ah Gary Lineker. It's a bizarre, unusual one but I have a serious irrational dislike for that man, yet I follow him on twitter, even though almost every one of his tweets annoys me. I think it's probably that his almost childlike enthusiasm for everything football based really grinds my gears. I used to be like him in my twenties, watching every game I could, but that admiration for football has slowly diminished in my life as more important things come into focus and modern football is  of not much interest outside of STFC.

I should stop following him of course but for whatever reason, I just can't, and he continues to irritate with his dad joke tweets and his fawning praise over an Alexander-Arnold free kick or whatever. I stopped watching Match of the Day yonks ago so no idea if this is true, but on a podcast I listen to apparently whenever Lineker is on TV he always sits like he's hiding an erection. I've no idea how accurate this is mind you!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 16:51:23 »

Radio 6 for me most the time. It's eclectic but in a kind of balanced way. Jarvis Cocker used to (may still) do a great show on there. As does/did Iggy Pop

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
stfcjack

The Swindon lot don't seem to respect you

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 16:58:23 »

When out in the works van it’s definitely Simon Jordan’s show on talksport, he’s very good on it! Other than that it will be Radio X with a bit of Absolute.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 18:32:10 »

Just now I started reading this thread from the beginning and got very confused until I noticed the dates. Are Amir, janaage, sonicyouth & ben wah balls still around? Maybe with pseudonyms?

I love hip hop and dance music best (house, techno, drum and bass), but if I'm not listening to Spotify in the car it's:

1. Classic FM
2. Radio 3
3. Radio 6
4. Radio 4
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 18:33:10 »

I don't think I've ever listened to radio 3. I don't even know what's on it.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 18:51:06 »

Impressive thread bump.

Dunno about anyone else but I'm getting fed up of the seemingly untouchable Steve Wright on Radio2. £500k a year that bloke gets to sing over songs, cut them short and churn out his dated drivel. The half of the year he gets off offers much better replacements. Time he was moved on.
Used to like radio 2 when I was night trucking until they got rid of Janice Long and Alex Lester.  They also shat on Simon Mayo who did a good job I thought. I do like Sara Cox's show though to be fair to her.

I like greatest hits radio and enjoy Frank Skinner's show on Absolute radio Saturday mornings when driving to golf.
All ended up on Greatest Hits Radio along with Mark Goodier, Paul Gambaccini, Richard Allinson, Pat Sharpe, Jackie Brambles amongst others - I generally find it very tolerable and is all I listen to these days...
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 19:37:35 »

I don't think I've ever listened to radio 3. I don't even know what's on it.

Classical. But they have a less generic selection than Classic FM and play some operatic and glangly stuff that I don't like.

For some reason I can't remember the names or artists of any classical music, despite having clocked up hundreds of hours of listening. No idea who my favoruite artists or pieces or sub-genres are. It sounds great though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 19:40:22 »

ah I see, each to their own. I think I'm just too unrefined
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 20:29:06 »

Only ever listen to the radio in the car, and it’s always tuned to Planet Rock.

Other than that, post match at home I listen to BBC Wilts to hear post match interviews
Miles Mayhem

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 21:53:46 »

I really like Fighting Talk on radio 5 but like Goat most of the time it’s Spotify with a nice mix of dnb, hip hop and 60s rock.
AMayesIng

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, February 16, 2022, 23:15:14 »

6 music or Radio 2, with the odd bit of 5 live and R4 comedies.
Faves are:
6 music: Cerys Sunday mornings, Guy Garvey Sunday pm, Craig Charles Sat eve Funk  & Soul Show, RadMac.
R2 Sara Cox, genuinely funny (vs Zoe Ball who tries to be funny, but is just annoying), Jo Whiley, Ken Bruce (PQ avg about 15)

Of all those, Cerys on Sunday morning is my absolute favourite. For me her gentle, soothing Welsh tones; her genuine love for the eclectic mix of music that she plays and the interesting chats with the guests have come to sum up Sunday morning. I genuinely miss her when she's not on; Sundays just aren't the same. Give it a try!!
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, February 17, 2022, 07:19:55 »

Just now I started reading this thread from the beginning and got very confused until I noticed the dates. Are Amir, janaage, sonicyouth & ben wah balls still around? Maybe with pseudonyms?

I'm Amir, OF. The others are all long gone.

For some reason I can't remember the names or artists of any classical music, despite having clocked up hundreds of hours of listening. No idea who my favoruite artists or pieces or sub-genres are. It sounds great though.

I'm exactly the same, except I remember the ones that my dad had when I was a kid mostly.

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, February 17, 2022, 07:55:41 »

Chris Evans and Chris Moyles are both good broadcasters but both are bullies. It’s nauseating the constant belittling of their sidekicks. In any other workplace they’d be called out about it or been chinned.
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, February 17, 2022, 09:05:05 »

Virgin Radio Anthems for me in the car or if decorating at home. Although some of it is a bit Smashy & Nicey, you wont find them playing many songs that you dont end up singing along to
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: