Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Danny Wilson  (Read 30737 times)
rogerhubbard

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Friday, November 26, 2010, 11:17:14 »

Agree - a one off error is down to the individual.......but a defence in turmoil?
luckyluke699

5 league goals and counting...

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Friday, November 26, 2010, 11:42:31 »

87% of Modern football fans are retarded.

You made a typo, I'm sure you meant 97%?
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Friday, November 26, 2010, 12:00:50 »

Agree - a one off error is down to the individual.......but a defence in turmoil?
Well, you're changing the question, before you were trying to claim that repeated errors were not down to the players, which they clearly are. The question I think you're trying to pose is whether or not the failure to correct those errors rests with the players' ability (and their ability/willingness to learn) or the coaches' ability to teach them? Bit of both, I'd imagine.

Even the best teacher in the world will not be able to teach the most stupid child much, conversely even the brightest kid will struggle under a badly incompetent teacher. But most teachers and kids are somewhere in between. If a kid is struggling to learn something, is it because he's unteachable or because the teacher's crap? A better teacher might get more out of the child, but the first teacher might get more out of a brighter child.

Until we know for a fact we have a superb set of players that can only improve by superb coaching, we can't really say whether the defence being crap is because the players are crap or the coaches are. Or whether the same players would do better under different coaches, and the same coaches do better with different players. Such is football. And many other things in life
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Friday, November 26, 2010, 13:12:36 »

The basic fact is that Mr. Wilson is not a good nor a bad manager - he is an average one and his record demonstrates that.
Sean and Lecsy are not bad players, nor are they stupid, and if repeated basic errors are being made by the defense (which they are) does this not come down to coaching rather than the competance of particular players? If 'schoolboy' errors are repeated time and time again, is that not, just possibly, the fault of the teacher?

You are right, I'l let the coaching staff know not to teach defenders to gormlessly watch the ball float over their heads to the striker, not to promote fuluffed clearnces, not to forget to put challenges in and not to react the slowest.

Not sure why the coaching staff didn't pick up on this in the first place really.
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Friday, November 26, 2010, 15:03:55 »

The basic fact is that Mr. Wilson is not a good nor a bad manager - he is an average one and his record demonstrates that.

No, his record demonstrtates that he is a very good manager, one of the best in the lower divisions. It never ceases to amaze me how many people wilfully choose not to see this.

An average manager could get a team up the top end of a table for a while with a bit of luck but Wilson has won (or gone very close to winning) promotion at four different clubs. If that is your definition of average I suggest you give up on STFC until the board have the foresight to poach Jose Mourinho from Madrid.

The Greer thing has been done to death already but it is quite clear that the one thing the squad needs is some experience in the defence to organise the rest of the back four. We've got good (or potentially good) players back there but as a unit the combination isnt right.

You could argue that Wilson should have foreseen this and signed an experienced centre back in the summer, maybe he tried and couldnt get the right one in? The signing of Frampton was effectively an admission that that was what we needed, but typical of the way things have gone this season he got injured after one game so we dont know if he's the answer or not.

A signing or two in January could easily transform this team into serious play-off contenders. The one thing we dont need to change is the management.
redbullzeye

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Friday, November 26, 2010, 18:16:15 »

No, his record demonstrtates that he is a very good manager, one of the best in the lower divisions. It never ceases to amaze me how many people wilfully choose not to see this.

I agree.  Sometimes we make it all too complicated.  To me it just boils down to the players having 3 things, Fitness, skill and belief.  I've seen enough of them this year to know they are fit enough and the skill is about right for the division - in some cases it's higher.  So that makes it a matter of belief and there are times when we lack confidence.  People get really tense and fuck up.  Whether you can coach confidence into players is a really difficult question but it certainly isn't the sole reponsibility of the manager.  For what it's worth I can never remember a time at Swindon where we didn't make stupid mistakes at the back and gift teams goals including the golden era of Taylor and Calderwood at the back
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #201 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 09:12:54 »

Fucking hell. It's not as if we're being hammered every week. 7 defeats, 6 by a single goal, would suggest it wont take much, maybe just a little bit of luck to start reversing defeats into draws, and draws into wins. 28 games to go yet boys.

But we're a results based business. We could be the nearly guys all season and still go down. Regardless of that I still want to keep Wilson as I think he has proven himself as a decent manager and should be respected. But the 'reality' boys are starting to bury their heads in the sand.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 10:14:02 »

Wilson deserves more time than most managers because of what he's done for us in the past. He's earnt it

Things get better but they never get good
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 11:08:18 »

An average manager could get a team up the top end of a table for a while with a bit of luck but Wilson has won (or gone very close to winning) promotion at four different clubs. If that is your definition of average I suggest you give up on STFC until the board have the foresight to poach Jose Mourinho from Madrid.

The Greer thing has been done to death already but it is quite clear that the one thing the squad needs is some experience in the defence to organise the rest of the back four. We've got good (or potentially good) players back there but as a unit the combination isnt right.

You could argue that Wilson should have foreseen this and signed an experienced centre back in the summer, maybe he tried and couldnt get the right one in? The signing of Frampton was effectively an admission that that was what we needed, but typical of the way things have gone this season he got injured after one game so we dont know if he's the answer or not.

A signing or two in January could easily transform this team into serious play-off contenders. The one thing we dont need to change is the management.

Absolutely bang on in every respect.

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 12:24:04 »

If we lost last night he may of had to look over his shoulder.#

Not convinced that any other manager that could come in would be an improvement.

Clems Army!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #205 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 12:48:18 »

If we lost last night he may of had to look over his shoulder.#

Not convinced that any other manager that could come in would be an improvement.

depends if the players like Wilson I guess
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #206 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 12:51:21 »

depends if the players like Wilson I guess

That is a very good point. And from what I hear it could be a 50-50 split on that front.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 12:54:31 »

That is a very good point. And from what I hear it could be a 50-50 split on that front.

Doesnt bother me. I want the team to do well.

I dont think Macari was very much liked at all.

Clems Army!
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 12:56:16 »

Any word on a new contract for him? It runs out in a month...

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Saturday, November 27, 2010, 13:08:23 »

Any word on a new contract for him? It runs out in a month...

For Wilson? He signed a 2 and a half year deal did he not? So runs till the end of the season.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: