Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 ... 211   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 378857 times)
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #1950 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 08:37:08 »

Things are perfectly fine as long as our first XI can play 90 minutes every week (sometimes twice a week) from now until January with no one picking up any injuries or suspensions.

Luckily we’re not in a highly physical league with a massively congested fixture schedule. So that should be fine. As well as 2 of our 3 strikers being an ageing player that we’re now going to have to ask to play almost every minute and an injury prone RHM.

We can then reinforce with more numbers in January with our competitive budget. After we’ve replaced the recalled Young and Kemp first of course
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1951 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 08:39:41 »

Important to remember that we did bring in Brewitt and McEachran after the January deadline. Two free agent signings on that sort of level would certainly help.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #1952 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 08:42:19 »

True, having to rely on outside of the window free agents usually shows you’ve ballsed up your transfer business though. I guess it’s slightly different with the summer window as there’s more free agents about but it’s a kick in the teeth watching clubs like Franchise strengthen and show what a competitive budget is in comparison to us having to do 1 in 1 out with an already small squad for any first team signing
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #1953 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 08:51:41 »

Or none in 1 out.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1954 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 09:34:18 »

Thought I'd compare this squad to the Garner season size wise as it seems comparable - we had a tiny squad, got fairly lucky with injuries, were competitive in the league but the tiredness seemed to get us in the playoffs.

Goalkeepers
Then: Wollacott, Ward, Idem (3)
Now: Mahoney, Ward, Brann (3)

Central Defence
Then: Odimayo, Conroy, Baudry, Crichlow/Cooper/O'Brien (Part season loans) (6, but basically 4 at a time)
Now: FBT, UGM, Brewitt, Clayton, Minturn, B Ward  (6)

Full Backs
Then: Hunt, KKH/Egbo, Tomlinson, Iandolo (5, but only 4 on the books at any one time)
Now: Hutton, Genesini, Uwakwe, Shade (4, I'm not counting Devine)

Midfielders
Then: Gladwin, Lyden (injured all season), Williams, Payne Reed, Aguiar, Grant (played 5 games) (5 to 7 depending on if you count Lyden and Grant)
Now: McEachran, Khan, Kinsella, Kemp, Cain, Dworzak (5 or 6 depending on if you count Dworzak)

Forwards
Then: Simpson/Davison, McKirdy, Barry/Gilbert, JML, Parsons (5, but 3 functional footballers)
Now: Austin, RHM, Young (3)

That's... pretty much the same throughout.

I know January is January and it’s still early doors but the main thing that’s jumps out of me in that comparison is that our loan players complimented the squad. They weren’t our main players. Simpson/Davison played a big part but McKirdy was the main man up front. Payne in midfield etc

Already this season our team is heavily reliant on loan players who are likely to only be here till January.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1955 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 09:55:22 »

if we aren't close to breakeven again this season I'm going to get very pissy.

this is what it's all about right? no money to bridge the funding gap that would exist between proper recruitment and income
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1956 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 09:56:59 »

Quote from: UTR
Things are perfectly fine as long as our first XI can play 90 minutes every week (sometimes twice a week) from now until January with no one picking up any injuries or suspensions. 

or lose form through fatigue.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #1957 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 09:59:59 »

or lose form through fatigue.

That October run of fixtures is going to be tough
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1958 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 10:02:26 »

oh and this isn't potentially good for khan. He needs easing in without the need to perform because he's the only option left.

How many promising youngsters have we seen in sink or swim that sank. mind you if he does swim it's more cash come January
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1959 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:03:11 »

As DV said earler in this thread, this move is shortsighted. To go from wanting 4 in on monday, to then. going -1 is ridiculous.

Lets be honest here, if people think that thw Wakeling money will be used towards the players budget you need your fucking head testing.

The owner plainly doesnt have the capacity to sustain the club, he literally had to go cap in hand to other parties to ‘borrow’ money and then told porkies about it.

Be interesting to know what the fee was, they’ll never fucking say though.

Its ok though, we own the gound though, which to be honest i can only see the bare minimum happening with that also.

Yes, this has probably pissed me off more than it should.have.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1960 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:09:28 »

Just have to hope there are some ooc players that join quickly.

Wakeling for cash is fine. I'm surprised honestly, i wasn't sure our 3 year deal for him was that sensible as he often looks woefully ineffective. Posh are pretty good at scouting attacking talent though so wait and see.

Shade is basically back up for multiple positions at the moment, he's the 4th striker, the 2nd left wing back and probably Kemps back up as well!

The squad in numbers inst much lighter than it has been in other successful years, but there are positions where the back up quality is very poor. In a season with longer games and likely more suspensions the squad is just very light.

It certainly doesn't scream we want to get promoted, which the club have been very quiet on in fairness.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1961 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:12:54 »

As DV said earler in this thread, this move is shortsighted. To go from wanting 4 in on monday, to then. going -1 is ridiculous.

Lets be honest here, if people think that thw Wakeling money will be used towards the players budget you need your fucking head testing.

The owner plainly doesnt have the capacity to sustain the club, he literally had to go cap in hand to other parties to ‘borrow’ money and then told porkies about it.

Its ok though, we own the gound though, which to be honest i can only see the bare minimum happening with that also.

It’s extremely short sighted purely from a striker’s situation.

Austin will have physical limitations at his age. RHM misses as many games as he plays and I’ll be amazed if Young is still here come January.
Come January we’ll be playing Austin up top on his own for 100minutes every game.

…and that’s without even considering Kemp going back either.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1962 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:15:27 »

Its ok though, we own the ground though, which to be honest i can only see the bare minimum happening with that also.

Do "we"?

Because as I understand it, having possibly lied to the Nigel Eady Trust, Clem, Hollie Kiely and Ms Parladorio’s company owns it 50/50 with the Trust, who are responsible for the hitching of our wagon to "the Messiah" and his band of Most Wanted Merry Men.

As a fan and supporter I don't consider myself as belonging to either of those parties.
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:25:59 by Mooneyraker » Logged
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1963 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:32:30 »

At what point does Clayton get labelled 'injury prone'? His record so far is looking a bit patchy.

Well when you consider Tomlinson is apparently injury prone but hasn't been since he was here....
Whingy the poo

Ignore
« Reply #1964 on: Saturday, September 2, 2023, 11:35:37 »

It’s extremely short sighted purely from a striker’s situation.

Austin will have physical limitations at his age. RHM misses as many games as he plays and I’ll be amazed if Young is still here come January.
Come January we’ll be playing Austin up top on his own for 100minutes every game.

…and that’s without even considering Kemp going back either.

Its fine no need to worry, we can just recall Tomi Adeloye from his loan spell at Partick Thistle!   Suicide
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 ... 211   Go Up
Print
Jump to: