Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 ... 42   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Exeter pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 35474 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #540 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 09:13:42 »

As ever I haven't read back but 36 pages is quite a meaty match day thread so lots to read this morning! Smiley

Obviously the 'big' news was that Conroy had been dropped/was injured and wasn't in the starting 11. Baudry back on the bench. O'Brien, AK and Cooper I felt was our best back 3 on current form. First half I thought was even and it was clear Exeter hadn't come for a point so turned out to be an even side between what looked 2 good sides. Second half we managed to get ourselves in front with a lovely goal from the impressive Tomlinson. I personally thought McKirdy was abysmal first half but lifted his game in the second and a neat assist to find the loan man, who was given way too much space in our box. Great finish through the keepers legs!

Then it seemed to go wrong. We seemed fairly comfortable but after we scored it all seemed a bit muddled. At times we seemed to be trying to kill the game with quick (and often sloppy) free kicks and at other times we appeared to be breaking up play with 'treatment' for injuries. I think this might have played into Exeter's hands as they didn't panic and the impressive Jevani Brown curled in the equaliser. They continued to dominate and a poor header from Cooper fell to Dieng who unleashed an absolute pile driver that Jojo had no chance with. (clearly fake news!)

Yet again we fail to see out a game when we held the lead. Unfortunately Davison is our only big target man and had to be subbed for Barry. I think it's going to take a few games but Davison and McKirdy could form a partnership, hopefully as bright as the one formed between Simpson and Harry before Ipswich recalled the big fella. McKirdy and Barry up front just won't work in my eyes. It's still very early days but Barry needs to get up to the speed of league 2 football fast if he is going to be an asset. On the positive side, the loan defenders look excellent, Cooper aside from his poor header for Exeter's winning goal, was good again, O'Brien imperious and Tomlinson looks a cracking little player. That said, only 2 clean sheets in recent matches says it all. I know he's a popular player but I thought Williams was garbage on Saturday and spends more time on the floor than a fucking yoga mat, I wish he would get on with the game, he's clearly talented but needs to do more for me. McKirdy was gash first half, he seems to be trying to win games on his own. Second half was a bit more measured and a nice assist for our goal. Also, with Lyden going off crocked, is Ellis Iandolo the best option in midfield? He did ok, but even though we seem to have loads of midfielders, having to play a left back there doesn't bode well! That's 2 wins in 10 now I think, I appreciate the recalled players have really fucked with our plans but Garner needs to get a grip of what is going and turn this around. At the moment it's too easy to play against us, we setup the same way every match, play the same way every match. We've been found out and need to offer something different.

Tranmere tomorrow night is not the game you want when confidence is fragile. If we can get away with a point, i'll be delighted. I think not winning against Scunthorpe on Saturday is unforgivable.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #541 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 09:19:44 »

Quote from: Shrivvy Road
I do think we have to be realistic regarding how good we think some of these players actually are as well. There is a reason they are here at a club with one of the lowest wage bills in the league due to embargo.

fair comment, to me it seems we were very close to being able to challenge

But could be very wrong, I admit.

With the January rebuild the jury is out on Barry and Davison. Not that they are bad players, but whether we can get them to fit in and provide what Simpson did.

Payne will be a boost when he's up and running
Crackity Jones

« Reply #542 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 09:29:05 »

Nice summary BO. Pretty much how I saw it. I am concerned that Barry is going to be Gilbert MK2 but hopefully it's just a case of getting up to speed. There is no way we should be playing him and McKirdy up top together.  

For some reason, after about 75 minutes, our central midfield disappears and we end up with a weird back 3, 2 wingbacks and 4 or 5 playing up front off the shoulder of the defence. This happens regardless of the state of the game and I've seen it a few times now.  It just makes us so easy to break through.  
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #543 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 09:32:57 »

If we don’t go up this season - it’s likely we lose JoJo, Payne, Reed and Williams on top of the loan players we currently have. Add to that an injury prone Conroy and Lyden - and it’s almost another complete rebuild.
We can’t keep doing that every pre season if we want to progress.
We all want our team to win at the weekend - It makes the working week more bearable! But, success moving up the pyramid requires a strong foundation. Teams that are successful have to 'tweak' as they move up and not change dramatically.

With the loan systems as it is, a successful side is built upon a strong spine within the club supplemented by a good loan or two. What we have, at present isn't a strong enough spine. We rely too much on loans. Maybe the players you have listed are only stepping stones to enable others to develop and become ready to be that strong spine.

The worst thing I have seen with promotion is the Wellens team getting promoted and all of the players leaving behind a far worse team in a higher division. Still, with a goalkeeper not giving away 3 points every week and a manager coaching the players and holding them to account, we could have stayed up!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #544 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 09:48:26 »

Nice summary BO. Pretty much how I saw it. I am concerned that Barry is going to be Gilbert MK2 but hopefully it's just a case of getting up to speed. There is no way we should be playing him and McKirdy up top together. 

For some reason, after about 75 minutes, our central midfield disappears and we end up with a weird back 3, 2 wingbacks and 4 or 5 playing up front off the shoulder of the defence. This happens regardless of the state of the game and I've seen it a few times now.  It just makes us so easy to break through. 
Think that's how we all saw it.

I have some sympathy with the fact that we have made some pretty big changes in the January window and haven't been able to spend much time on the training pitch working on team work. In other words, it might take a bit of time to gel.

Playing like strangers on the pitch, poor performances by key players, in game injuries, lack of pace and energy, strange substitutions, limited like for like options on the bench and lack of experience lost us a game we should have won.

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #545 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:00:13 »

Havent read back....dint want to see anything connected yo us or football after that result on Saturday.

For the first time is was fuming.

Threw it away.

Exeter about on par with us i reckon, good side for top ten but not a great one and wont get get automatic, it was all nip and tuck, we scored and i thought we could kick on.......we imploded....again.

Great goal for the equaliser, lovely view from the TE, although someone took a stooping header in midfield with a better placed player behind him in the build up, who could of taken a touch with his feet.....Gladwin? dunno.

I thought Wooly had the winner covered but was obviously wrong footed.

Game management again...

Colchester was criminal but Saturday was something else.

Anyway...on to Tranmere...I feel the season slipping away...shame.

Clems Army!
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #546 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:28:43 »

Just an observation, but presumably as it doesn’t agree with your view I’m not allowed to express it.

4D is some kind of weird attendance nonce.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #547 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:31:59 »

Lyden has ruptured his Achilles.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #548 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:32:44 »

TBF so am I, but I only look at ours and the rest of our division
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #549 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:33:34 »

Lyden has ruptured his Achilles.

I’m assuming that means a long lay-off
Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #550 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:36:48 »

TBF so am I, but I only look at ours and the rest of our division

Fair enough PR.

Bob's Orange

Ignore
« Reply #551 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:40:03 »

I’m assuming that means a long lay-off

I've ruptured my achilles in both my right and left legs. Obviously I am not a professional athlete but both took 6+ months to get back to any semblance of excercise. Depends on the seriousness of the rupture but I wouldn't have thought Lyden would be back this season. It unfortunately leaves us very very short on numbers.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #552 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:44:52 »

I've ruptured my achilles in both my right and left legs. Obviously I am not a professional athlete but both took 6+ months to get back to any semblance of excercise. Depends on the seriousness of the rupture but I wouldn't have thought Lyden would be back this season. It unfortunately leaves us very very short on numbers.
Means East will have to play - Or perhaps Conroy in that position. But most likely Garner will put Gladwin there!

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #553 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:45:29 »

Haven't you got to sort your ring out?
« Last Edit: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:49:09 by 4D » Logged
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #554 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 10:46:00 »

Could Odimayo play there? He’s decent on the ball and doesn’t get beat much 1 on 1… athletic too. Would fit some requirements to play holding midfield for sure
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 ... 42   Go Up
Print
Jump to: