Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Exeter pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 34816 times)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #570 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 13:12:09 »

Looking likely we are going to have to sign a completely new defensive line in the Summer at this rate.  Being forced to play loanees over our own players, the insistence of some that Conroy isn't good enough and the contract situation with Akin (who actively looked to move on last season) doesn't hold much hope of any of our CB's from this season being around next.

Might be a good thing, might be a bad thing..  anyway you look at it though it is not ideal

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #571 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 13:12:51 »

With our new back three looking as good as anything I've seen in the last two years, I'm hoping this might be a chance to put Conroy into the libero role he could excel at, with enough defensive ability to make tackles and the creativity to be a good out ball for attacks.

Looks as if tomorrow will come too early for him though.

Unless I'm being thick, isn't a libero a sweeper? As in, you want him to play behind the 3?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #572 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 13:19:51 »

Unless I'm being thick, isn't a libero a sweeper? As in, you want him to play behind the 3?
You are correct, the Libero role is a sweeper role usually adopted by a CB but behind the defence rather than in front of the defensive line as Hoddle used to play.

Personally I think Conroy could do well in the Hoddle/MacLaren role as you don't need to run around so much, he can spray a decent pass and there is always somebody behind you to tidy up if you lose the ball rather than him being the last defender which he often is when forced into an error.

It gives him an extra insurance if he gets caught out in possession yet is still there to release the long ball which we do miss when he isn't playing.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #573 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 13:59:41 »

While I'm not against giving Conroy a go in the holding midfield role, I seem to remember it not going well when it was tried before?

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #574 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:03:26 »

Oh, did I nutmeg myself? Anyway, what PV said, I imagine that playing him in front of the defence ŕ la Hoddle might end up being his best position.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman

« Reply #575 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:12:31 »

Oh, did I nutmeg myself? Anyway, what PV said, I imagine that playing him in front of the defence ŕ la Hoddle might end up being his best position.
I have long thought that about our Dion, despite several posters vehemently disagreeing with my opinion. I think it may just work.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #576 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:21:44 »

You're not going to play a sweeper behind three centre backs though, surely? We'd need to move to two CBs to make that feasible.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #577 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:24:39 »

I have long thought that about our Dion, despite several posters vehemently disagreeing with my opinion. I think it may just work.

I am not going to disagree with you, my concern would be it would just add a further potential confusion to a defensive line that already doesn't seem blessed with much footballing nounce, communication or ability. Conroy doesn't seem the most disciplined player and having him wandering about, especially with a defence trying to play a line for offside has potential shit show written on it!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #578 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:25:59 »

You're not going to play a sweeper behind three centre backs though, surely? We'd need to move to two CBs to make that feasible.
No which is why Libero was mentioned, in front of the back 3 bot behind them.

Garner doesnt seem to like 2 CB's so I would prefer Conroy as DMC with Reed being the ball carrying midfielder of the 2 central ones.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #579 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:28:07 »

I am not going to disagree with you, my concern would be it would just add a further potential confusion to a defensive line that already doesn't seem blessed with much footballing nounce, communication or ability. Conroy doesn't seem the most disciplined player and having him wandering about, especially with a defence trying to play a line for offside has potential shit show written on it!
I guess we wont know unless its tried.

We don't really tend to play the offside trap under Garner and rarely get given the benefit of the doubt by refs!

adje

Ignore
« Reply #580 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:41:43 »

I see something like

Wollacott
Tomlinson OBrien Cooper Odimayo Iandolo
           Gladwin.    East.    Williams
                   McKirdy.   Davison

I'm sure I heard somewhere Tomlinson can play right or left

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #581 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:48:54 »

Hate the idea of playing a defender in midfield just because they can pass it or are athletic.

David Luiz all over again.

Being able to read the game, in and out of possession is a critical skill and if you haven't played in DM then it's a big ask to for them to acquire it overnight.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #582 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:51:25 »

I see something like

Wollacott
Tomlinson OBrien Cooper Odimayo Iandolo
           Gladwin.    East.    Williams
                   McKirdy.   Davison

I'm sure I heard somewhere Tomlinson can play right or left
Not sure why you would drop Hunt from the right?

I think Iandolo will come in for Williams

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #583 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 14:58:59 »

Not sure why you would drop Hunt from the right?

I think Iandolo will come in for Williams
I think Tomlinson would offer more going forward and Iandolo's best position is left wb in my opinion. Just me tho possibly!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #584 on: Monday, February 7, 2022, 15:03:33 »

I think Tomlinson would offer more going forward and Iandolo's best position is left wb in my opinion. Just me tho possibly!
Possibly would, but I think that we will get targeted down the left.

I would be interested to see how things worked out with Iandolo ahead of Tomlinson.

Iandolo's weakness is defending, but he has linked very well with Williams of late. I don't think Williams played well at the weekend, nor do I think he has 2 games in 3 days in him. So, would Tomlinson and Iandolo on the left work?

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42   Go Up
Print
Jump to: