Pages: 1 ... 965 966 967 [968] 969 970 971 ... 973   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1578796 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #14505 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 12:09:16 »

I don't think anyone's (well, almost anyone's) asking for the Trust to declare war, but this is their total social activity of the last two months:

Facebook:
22 Aug: Re-posted Fair Game Index with no additionally commentary
29 July: Re-posted Fools Rush In Season Preview

Twitter:
12 Sep: Competition to win tickets to a women's team game
22 Aug: Re-posted Fair Game Index with no additional commentary
29 Jul: Re-posted Fools Rush In Season Preview
27 Jul: Well wishes to Mark Kennedy on the death of his father
17 Jul: Re-post of Football Governance bill in King's Speech

That's it. All of it. Nothing to say following up on the Fair Game index, nothing on the Fans Forum (either promoting it beforehand or talking about it after). Nothing on the Legends Lounge or Shop. Nothing on the advisory board in September. Nothing on the media rounds Clem did. Nothing about any actual football matches taking place in this period.

It's a ghost town. The member's newsletter was sent out in September and briefly covered Fair Game, Legend's Lounge and advertised the Fans Forum, but that wasn't shared publicly. The last post to their own website was on July 9th!
Ƭ̵̬̊: The Artist Formerly Known as CWIG
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #14506 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 12:44:47 »

They also need an alternative before declaring war, at least without a cast iron issue to beat him with. And to not repeat what's happened this time.

This is the biggest obstacle and what we need. They need to find out who the interested parties are and convince them to go public.
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #14507 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 12:45:45 »

I don't think anyone's (well, almost anyone's) asking for the Trust to declare war, but this is their total social activity of the last two months:

Its me, I'm almost anyone.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #14508 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 12:48:21 »

Has the club shop signage been fixed yet?

Things get better but they never get good
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14509 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 12:49:05 »

@nemo - yeah fair enough. I know they are volunteers but Comms isn't great (ironically).
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #14510 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 13:16:26 »

I'll beat the same drum I have for months - the Trust should move on, be done with Clem, and simply work on what next for club ownership/investment as it relates to the fans.  If Chris Kielys wife can buy into the club, then so can the fans.  It won't be easy, I get that, but there is nothing to salvage here - Clem and team are ignorant to whatever the fans may want.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #14511 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 13:58:51 »

I'll beat the same drum I have for months - the Trust should move on, be done with Clem, and simply work on what next for club ownership/investment as it relates to the fans.  If Chris Kielys wife can buy into the club, then so can the fans.  It won't be easy, I get that, but there is nothing to salvage here - Clem and team are ignorant to whatever the fans may want.
Mrs Keily was able to invest because Clem needed a few million quid quickly and she had it stuffed down the back if the sofa.

I find it hard to believe that fans would be able to find anything like that sort of money, it would need a couple of very rich town fans, and there are quite a few, to actually be willing to fund the majority of the purchase price and the c£1-2m losses going forward.   

I just don't see it happening when the same individuals could buy the the thing instead, and surely they would have done so already.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #14512 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 14:03:18 »

I'm not saying it has to be to buy the whole thing, and I'm certainly not saying it would be quick or easy.  I'm saying the Trust should focus on that - if a new owner pops up in the meantime, great, but between now and then, the Trust should revert it's focus to what it was supposed to be about - full or partial ownership and/or representation on the Board.  There are multiple ways that can be achieved, but worrying about what Hall or Clem fucked up this week, or last year, is a waste of time and effort now.  They've failed the competency test, they or those around them may fail the ethical test, they are not about to have an epiphany.
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #14513 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 14:20:20 »

This.
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #14514 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 14:21:57 »

I'm not saying it has to be to buy the whole thing, and I'm certainly not saying it would be quick or easy.  I'm saying the Trust should focus on that - if a new owner pops up in the meantime, great, but between now and then, the Trust should revert it's focus to what it was supposed to be about - full or partial ownership and/or representation on the Board.  There are multiple ways that can be achieved, but worrying about what Hall or Clem fucked up this week, or last year, is a waste of time and effort now.  They've failed the competency test, they or those around them may fail the ethical test, they are not about to have an epiphany.

Again, this.
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #14515 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 14:47:42 »

Fan ownership is a funny one, I agree in principle it’s the ideal but I’m not sure it’s the solution for our case. (I’m aware that sounds weird after moaning about poor ownership).

Exeter is the prime example of how it can work in the football league. Fan owned with self sustainability through reinvesting profits from selling produced assets from their academy. But I’m not sure that setup and its achievements would necessarily align with us if we want to get any further than a middling league one level (granted that’s a decent level above what we are now).

To progress past that reasonably (and not just flop back down) would require a huge investment, one that you’d either need to find a/a number of fans with deep enough pockets to fill or outside investment. Outside investment and fan ownership doesn’t tend to mix amazingly in this country, we’ve seen examples where those outside investors willing to invest those sums want to buy out everyone else (fans or not) and be the sole controllers.

A tricky one for sure, can see both sides. Although most of that discussion relates to a normally functioning football club, in our current case it’s a much different circumstance in which not all of that reasoning may apply.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #14516 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 15:13:46 »

Yeah, Pompey is a good example of Trust ownership (majority) between 2013-2017 during which time the ship was steadied and then voting to sell up to the Disney guy / venture capital group.
Now find themselves in the Championship.

The history might be worth reading up on to get an idea of how much the fans had to come up with initially etc.

My mind it ain't so open
That anything could crawl right in
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #14517 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 15:43:50 »

Lets not forget that in recent times the trust was a minority shareholder in the club and managed to get someone on the Board but we are still where we are.

The problem is not so much the purchase price but funding of the losses which have ballooned in the bottom 2 leagues since covid to around £1-2m per year in league 2 and £4-5m in league 1.    Partial ownership won't work unless the trust is able and prepared to fund its share of the losses, if not then it will just get diluted out as happened under Black.

Good, competent ownership is far more important than fan ownership regardless of how emotionally appealing that may be.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #14518 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 15:59:27 »

The entire Bundelsiga is calling and wants it's ownership model back.....sorry, being flippant.

Again - I am not saying it's easy or immediate, but it can be done.  Exeter are actually a good example - because logic tells us that if we simply replicate their model, our ceiling should be a little higher.  Once we reach that ceiling, you'd talk about what next, like Pompey.

I am also not suggesting Clem is particularly likely to entertain much right now - I'm not talking about a plan to offer him out by Christmas though.  He may not even be the owner by the time it would be possible or needed (a willing seller or collapsing business), although good PR could apply a certain amount of pressure even in our current structure.  Is Chris's wife supporting the losses?  Doesn't appear to be, Clem tells us they are "silent" partners, but the real target of fan ownership in the short term would obviously be to create a well run and sustainable club, source funding where needed, seek other investment avenues, and so on.  Something that would take months, maybe years to plan for properly - so switch focus to that.

The Trust cannot be an extension of the Supporters Club and it should not be just some sort of protest vehicle that gets trotted out to tut loudly in the press.  If it is, then it is pointless.  Expecting it to start lambasting Clem every time he fucks up or says something stupid is a fools errand, and likely never ending.  He's not going to listen, his idea of engagement is a one way street which he blocks off when the receiver is not delivering what he wants.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #14519 on: Friday, September 13, 2024, 16:07:28 »

Clem mentioned in one of his interviews that he decided to increase the budget for this season rather than buy the shares back he sold off. That’s what the Trust should focus on, buying those shares back so that (in theory) Clem aside the other shareholders are the fans
Pages: 1 ... 965 966 967 [968] 969 970 971 ... 973   Go Up
Print
Jump to: