Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New street lights too bright to sleep!  (Read 2156 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:15:59 »

Light shield/reflector can be installed on most streetlights and I'd image this is viable the more modern the lamp. It depends where you are and who deals with highways but usually a request to either your Local Authority or Upper Tier LA generally solves the problem.

Whilst you'd think that the potential strobe/fan of light area cast would be considered when planning the position of lights, I believe it is down to a resident of nearby light source to raise the issue and request a light reflector be installed. Usually this isn't a problem. I can't see why this option hasn't been installed or requested instead of skipping off to the press.

Failing that you can take a super soaker to it filled with black paint and accidently land some of on the streetlight.

Failing that, well I guess...

Is there no end to your talents😃

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:20:57 »

Light shield/reflector can be installed on most streetlights and I'd image this is viable the more modern the lamp. It depends where you are and who deals with highways but usually a request to either your Local Authority or Upper Tier LA generally solves the problem.

Whilst you'd think that the potential strobe/fan of light area cast would be considered when planning the position of lights, I believe it is down to a resident of nearby light source to raise the issue and request a light reflector be installed. Usually this isn't a problem. I can't see why this option hasn't been installed or requested instead of skipping off to the press.
Possibly because most people don't have your level of knowledge of street lighting technology?
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:26:09 »

A bit of a non-event and I suspect that this will be resolved shortly.  Presumably, those in the article have the comfort of having been paid a couple of quid.

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:30:39 »

Possibly because most people don't have your level of knowledge of street lighting technology?
It's hardly something to have much knowledge about is it Paul? Smiley It's a basic solution to a basic problem. Sun in your eyes? Can't dim the sun, what do you do? Shield it. I'd like to think most people don't keep their eyes open, in that scenario.

In any case, shouldn't the council consider where the light will cast and distances from housing etc (maybe they do but in this case it's clearly missed), seeing as they will have a certain level of knowledge of street lighting technology?

Is there no end to your talents😃

Careful, that is up for debate and all relative.

I'm only more aware of it because we had a similar issue in Derbyshire. Whilst it meant the small pond and stream in the garden was nicely lit at night and a tree shielded it for a part of the year, in winter it was rather similar to being on set for a night shoot. Yet it was easily solved Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:30:45 »

Perhaps it was that level of knowledge they were expecting to receive when they took their story to the S*n?
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:30:52 »

A bit of a non-event and I suspect that this will be resolved shortly.  Presumably, those in the article have the comfort of having been paid a couple of quid.

Expect it on Points West soon!

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:38:06 »

It's hardly something to have much knowledge about is it Paul? Smiley It's a basic solution to a basic problem. Sun in your eyes? Can't dim the sun, what do you do? Shield it. I'd like to think most people don't keep their eyes open, in that scenario.

In any case, shouldn't the council consider where the light will cast and distances from housing etc (maybe they do but in this case it's clearly missed), seeing as they will have a certain level of knowledge of street lighting technology?
Yes they should. But as they didn't what are people supposed to do about it other than "go skipping off to the press"? And to answer my own question, I'd suggest they could have called their local councillor and pursued it that way (and they may well have done and got nowhere so then decided to go "skipping off to the press"). But that doesn't mean they didn't have a valid complaint.
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:42:16 »

But if in a hypothetical situation you have a gripe and the council have said yes there's a problem, we are sorting it out, this is what we are doing, this is the likely timescale and soz in the meantime, why go running to a low quality rag? What will that achieve other than notoriety down Yates' wine bar?

Nothing to see here
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:43:04 »

Yes they should. But as they didn't what are people supposed to do about it other than "go skipping off to the press"? And to answer my own question, I'd suggest they could have called their local councillor and pursued it that way (and they may well have done and got nowhere so then decided to go "skipping off to the press"). But that doesn't mean they didn't have a valid complaint.

There is nothing in that story to suggest the Council didn't go through the normal processes in installing the things, been involved in similar schemes previously where you can consult as much as you like but no one takes a blind bit of notice until the work is done as they chose to ignore all the consultation.

BTW as you suggested you haven't read the story to update the outcome at the end after all the grumpy looks  is the Council are doing something about it, but it will take a bit of time to get sorted, which rather negates them going to the press but everyone loves an opportunity for a fumin picture in the paper.  
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:48:02 »

But if in a hypothetical situation you have a gripe and the council have said yes there's a problem, we are sorting it out, this is what we are doing, this is the likely timescale and soz in the meantime, why go running to a low quality rag? What will that achieve other than notoriety down Yates' wine bar?
Agree there. I was more responding to those who were getting judgemental about people being pissed off at having a problem with street lights so bright they can't sleep being installed outside their house. Which seems to me a reasonable cause for complaint, no need for folks to get snotty about them complaining.

And as for the low quality rag, yeah, as I said above, going to their local councillor would be a more reasonable course of action to sort it. Which tbf, many probably did.

(really can't believe I got sucked into this  Doh)
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:53:04 »

I don't have a problem with people having a problem with stuff. Just go about it in the right way and don't whinge if the problem is being dealt with and, regretfully, it might take a bit of time to sort out. 

It's ironic that whinging t***s have merely promoted more whinging.

Nothing to see here
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 14:05:37 »

BTW as you suggested you haven't read the story to update the outcome at the end after all the grumpy looks  is the Council are doing something about it, but it will take a bit of time to get sorted, which rather negates them going to the press but everyone loves an opportunity for a fumin picture in the paper.  

I had a gentle chuckle when I saw the pic of the woman looking up at the light and pointing. Fucking ironic to say the least. Was the photographer taking the piss *receives story regarding lights too brights* "ok love, can you look right into the light and point at it for me..."

Pint

I'm not sure if you read the article but the reason I made the "basic" suggestion because it appears the council are doing something about it and there's no suggestion that the council have ignored any residents that may have highlighted the issue. I thought it rather simple to go to those that installed it first - having had similar issues regarding a light fitting. Considering the article, it more and more makes some of the people in it appear like a busybody and a trip to the press was not really necessary.

I haven't said that their complaint isn't valid. I have had the same problem. I didn't go to the press but some people do love to achieve in the words of JBZ, "...notoriety at Yates' Wine Bar." or maybe Spoons.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: