Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New street lights too bright to sleep!  (Read 2158 times)
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:15:23 »

Swindon in the tabloids again anybody live nearby for an honest opinion

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12579681/eco-streetlights-bright-sleeping-football-stadium-sleepless/

So, give no fucks
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:17:55 »

Swindon in the tabloids again anybody live nearby for an honest opinion

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12579681/eco-streetlights-bright-sleeping-football-stadium-sleepless/

Not in Swindon but we had them up our street in Lancaster, managed to sleep just fine, but then again I don't have a perpetual need to moan about everything.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:20:13 »

Not in Swindon but we had them up our street in Lancaster, managed to sleep just fine, but then again I don't have a perpetual need to moan about everything.

That was first thought moan moan,moan then call the Sun and make a few bob for a story

So, give no fucks
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:26:50 »

At least they might make people feel a little safer, blackout blinds should help if it's that big a deal
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:41:47 »

At least they might make people feel a little safer, blackout blinds should help if it's that big a deal

I was brought up when the street lights went out after midnight but it would be too dangerous in the society we live in now
« Last Edit: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:44:54 by Jimmy Quinn » Logged

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:47:10 »

I was brought up when the street lights went out after midnight but it would be too dangerous in the society we live in now
TBF that's because habits have changed not crime rates: there were a lot less people about after midnight then and society was less safety conscious than it is now.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:49:17 »

TBF that's because habits have changed not crime rates: there were a lot less people about after midnight then and society was less safety conscious than it is now.

Habits have changed yes but there's never been so many car break ins etc at night and that's with the lights still on

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:50:55 »

I do actually know a family affected by this. The lights are right outside the teenage son's room and he says it is like being in broad daylight, I don't think finding it a bit much having that suddenly imposed on you is "a perpetual need to moan about everything" so much as a pretty reasonable reaction to not being able to get to sleep. He has now got blackout blinds but I think I'd be a bit pissed off too if that was just sprung on me.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:52:07 »

I do actually know a family affected by this. The lights are right outside the teenage son's room and he says it is like being in broad daylight, I don't think finding it a bit much having that suddenly imposed on you is "a perpetual need to moan about everything" so much as a pretty reasonable reaction to not being able to get to sleep. He has now got blackout blinds but I think I'd be a bit pissed off too if that was just sprung on me.

Is that in Penhill

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:53:25 »

Is that in Penhill
I think he's in Rodbourne, so may be different set of lights maybe? (I haven't clicked thru to the original article, don't give ad revenue to the S*n). But the same principle applies, it's a bit of a piss take and not unreasonable to be pissed off by it. I think most people would be pretty fed up if someone set up a searchlight outside their bedroom window (his description of what it's like). The fact that you can (and he has) do something to mitigate it is neither here nor there.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 4, 2020, 11:55:23 by pauld » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 12:01:10 »

Was that when they snuffed out the lamps?   Wink

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 12:04:16 »

I think he's in Rodbourne, so may be different set of lights maybe? (I haven't clicked thru to the original article, don't give ad revenue to the S*n). But the same principle applies, it's a bit of a piss take and not unreasonable to be pissed off by it. I think most people would be pretty fed up if someone set up a searchlight outside their bedroom window (his description of what it's like). The fact that you can (and he has) do something to mitigate it is neither here nor there.

Penhill drive and not a problem for everyone if you browse through the comments
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18694272.said-led-streetlights-keep-neighbours-awake/

So, give no fucks
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 12:22:30 »

Penhill drive and not a problem for everyone if you browse through the comments
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18694272.said-led-streetlights-keep-neighbours-awake/
Perhaps not. But probably not right outside everyone's bedroom window
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 12:33:11 »

Perhaps not. But probably not right outside everyone's bedroom window

Agreed but you would think they would have tested them before installing them outside properties throughput the country

So, give no fucks
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 4, 2020, 13:13:51 »

Light shield/reflector can be installed on most streetlights and I'd image this is viable the more modern the lamp. It depends where you are and who deals with highways but usually a request to either your Local Authority or Upper Tier LA generally solves the problem.

Whilst you'd think that the potential strobe/fan of light area cast would be considered when planning the position of lights, I believe it is down to a resident of nearby light source to raise the issue and request a light reflector be installed. Usually this isn't a problem. I can't see why this option hasn't been installed or requested instead of skipping off to the press.

Failing that you can take a super soaker to it filled with black paint and accidently land some of on the streetlight.

Failing that, well I guess...

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: