Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Furloughed workers on here  (Read 29357 times)
Valid Pint

« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 06:56:30 »

From the point of view as an employer, if it wasn't for the furlough scheme, my business would be fucked or we'd be making a lot of people redundant.

Things appear to be picking up again, and I'm glad we've got the benefit of the scheme until October in some capacity.

It really is a generous scheme. What are the chances of the scheme being abused?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 09:49:45 »

Its one thing the goverment got right.

Define abuse? Poeple taking advantage to maximise profits rather than to save a business?

Pretty likely but not widespread I'd guess.  But who knows
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 10:38:00 »

A far more pertinent question though is; what are they doing in Belarus?

I come from a land down-under
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 11:00:02 »

Define abuse? Poeple taking advantage to maximise profits rather than to save a business?

Pretty likely but not widespread I'd guess.  But who knows

I've heard one first-hand and plenty of other anecdotal stories of companies claiming JRS grants but still asking their employees to work. That's out and out fraud.

The scheme is technically only open to companies affected by the pandemic, i.e. they can demonstrate/evidence a downturn in business. That raises the question of whether companies who've used it when they didn't really need to, even though they may have 'properly' furloughed people and told them not to work, could be open to investigation at some point.

I read that the scheme is costing £14 billion PER MONTH. That's an extortionate amount of money that's got to come from somewhere. If some of it can be reclaimed from businesses, it will be.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 11:01:50 »

I read that the scheme is costing £14 billion PER MONTH. That's an extortionate amount of money that's got to come from somewhere. If some of it can be reclaimed from businesses, it will be.
It is a vast amount of money. However, to put it into perspective the bailout of the banks in 2008 cost £850 billion. Furlough will have cost around one tenth of that by the time it ends in October.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 11:08:23 »

It is a vast amount of money. However, to put it into perspective the bailout of the banks in 2008 cost £850 billion. Furlough will have cost around one tenth of that by the time it ends in October.

At the peak, the bank bailout was over a trillion pounds. Most of that was in the form of guarantees, it only cost something like £140bn in money.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 11:18:33 »

At the peak, the bank bailout was over a trillion pounds. Most of that was in the form of guarantees, it only cost something like £140bn in money.
But that includes taking off the money the govt got back from selling it's stake in nationalised banks. The outlay was significantly more. By the same token we could then argue the cost of furlough is significantly less because ultimately the govt will get some money back in taxes from businesses that otherwise would have gone bust and not have to pay benefits to employees who would otherwise be unemployed.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 11:28:26 »

You would have thought they would have weighed up what it 'costs' against what fiscal damage would be resulting from not doing it - i.e people would stop buying things, be unable to pay mortgages, unable to pay loans/HP etc (I know there is currently a pause on some of these loans but they still need to be paid for eventually) which in an indirect way then hits the banks and thus the economy.
If people have no revenue, then expenditure of course is significantly reduced. The household debt to income ratio in the UK is also generally quite high (I think 1.25 to 1 at last glance)

More focus should have be placed on strengthening the employees rights when they do get sent back to work, it is difficult when companies have no, or hugely decreased, revenue - but if they are binned off directly after furlough stops, the term job retention scheme is a redundant one (pardon the pun)

I come from a land down-under
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 11:37:27 »

More focus should have be placed on strengthening the employees rights when they do get sent back to work, it is difficult when companies have no, or hugely decreased, revenue - but if they are binned off directly after furlough stops, the term job retention scheme is a redundant one (pardon the pun)
You make a very good point, but I don't think strengthening employees' rights is going to be a key focus of this govt.
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, June 2, 2020, 21:17:54 »

Was supposed to get furloughed in April then they scrapped it as we got really busy, instead they scrapped the overtime and now I’m taking home less than before

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 08:24:02 »

Was supposed to get furloughed in April then they scrapped it as we got really busy, instead they scrapped the overtime and now I’m taking home less than before

I was furloughed from mid April along with others but the comany has been working overtime in areas some of the furloughed staff are trained in

So, give no fucks
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 10:32:02 »

Spare me the bull and rhetoric I don’t need it at the moment, neither do many others. I have Been delivering cov19 kits to Brize for the Falklands, ascension is, Cap Verde, South Georgia and Tristan Da Cuna. Pharma printing to pharma packaging plants, human tissue to and from acute wards to the labs where they culture the stuff, aircraft parts from RR for the military as well as commercial aircraft. IT hardware to places you’d not believe all hours all to help keep the country running. PPE, fuck off don’t make me laugh. Please I’m very volatile at the moment, your fucking claptrap is not going to help. Thank you.
Good morning LL. You, like many others, are doing a good job. Good luck to you and those others. Fair enough that you were feeling volatile and not in a happy place. I respect that so have delayed my reply.
Now back to the claptrap bull and rhetoric..... Cheesy
Trade Unions operate in a free market. If they don't serve the needs of their customers they lose them. It is still legal for most  people to join one and in doing so you allocate an amount of your disposable income. If the union becomes irrelevant, self-serving or fail to meet expectations, then they lose numbers and much-needed subscriptions. They run the risk of failing just like any other business. I think this is a fact and not a political view at all.
My second point about collectivism was my view based on years of being a volunteer union activist who works with an  employer not against them. The 1970's version is a very distant memory. I am working with an employer this week so that they can get the workforce back to work safely. All sides want to get back to work asap but equally both sides don't want harm to come from it. Fair enough to disregard that. I reserve the right to do the same.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 18:14:11 »

Any furloughed workers expecting to be made redundant as this week seems to be when bosses are making tough decisions on their workforce

So, give no fucks
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 19:44:13 »

Good morning LL. You, like many others, are doing a good job. Good luck to you and those others. Fair enough that you were feeling volatile and not in a happy place. I respect that so have delayed my reply.
Now back to the claptrap bull and rhetoric..... Cheesy
Trade Unions operate in a free market. If they don't serve the needs of their customers they lose them. It is still legal for most  people to join one and in doing so you allocate an amount of your disposable income. If the union becomes irrelevant, self-serving or fail to meet expectations, then they lose numbers and much-needed subscriptions. They run the risk of failing just like any other business. I think this is a fact and not a political view at all.
My second point about collectivism was my view based on years of being a volunteer union activist who works with an  employer not against them. The 1970's version is a very distant memory. I am working with an employer this week so that they can get the workforce back to work safely. All sides want to get back to work asap but equally both sides don't want harm to come from it. Fair enough to disregard that. I reserve the right to do the same.

Lefty twaddle
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday, June 10, 2020, 20:09:06 »

Not in my case , was an Area Secretary for 4 years, good relationship with the employer, but we supported our members first and would always support those who paid for our services (and sometimes those who didn't if we were feeling in a twaddly leftist mood)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: