Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Budget#2  (Read 8020 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 19:36:54 »

Reg will love me here.............Flitcroft did do one thing  purchased for the style he wanted.  They were pretty poor quality in the end when we tried to switch, but they did OK when lumping it forward for four front men to play off 50/50's.

Brown got some good players, but managed to bring in a lopsided squad and then couldn't settle on how to use them.  In fact he got a bit frantic, the longer it went, the more he tried to change it around.

Flitcroft got in half a dozen or so on 2 year contracts, or more with options... Taylor, Robertson, Lancashire, Dunne, Knoyle, Keshi and Kaiyne.  Robertson was a waste, Lancashire looked an OK Div 4 stopper, until injured. Dunne limited, but usually fit to play and we needed some Div 4 experience in the middle, so you get a man with 200 odd games at the level..... it's just what you do.

Knoyle has been offered a new contract, and K and K some consider our best "footballers", if maddeningly inconsistent.. on a good day they can be very good.  Taylor, a very good signing....

The modern day coach is all about improving what you've got.... will Wellens be able to get something out of Scott Twine?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 15, 2019, 19:42:50 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 08:29:11 »

Flitcroft was the worst failure bringing in several very average players on 2 year contracts and then fucks off in a decent position, Brown brought a few of his own players in, some also on 2 year contracts.

Thing is if players are only signed on 1 year deals everyone starts bleating about the short termism in building a squad and the inevitable squad churn, not making excuses for either manager but they cannot win really.

The biggest tell tale sign of how badly we have compiled a "squad" is that nearly all of the players we just released were not 1st team regulars, but were purchased to be just that.

Indeed, Wellens has inherited the residue of four windows of pretty poor and fairly scattergun recruitment.

Budget aside I think most of us can still see that we should have done better. We have some good players at level, what we didn't have was a good 'team' and that is down to the people that bought them in.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I never really got the impression that Flitcroft and to a greater extent Brown actually recruited with a team in mind instead just gathering players and hoping they could play together. 
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 08:56:18 »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing,

True, but I also think foresight was missing. It doesn't take hindsight to know that having one winger at a club, for example, is going to result in an imbalanced squad.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 10:12:39 »

True, but I also think foresight was missing. It doesn't take hindsight to know that having one winger at a club, for example, is going to result in an imbalanced squad.

But we could only have 1 winger due to the 763 centre midfielders Brown thought we needed.

I assume he was looking at playing a 2-7-1 formation based on his signings.

The key consideration in light of the tone of the belligerent party upon these threads must be whether it was a left or right winger! 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 10:33:41 »

Perhaps Broiwn thought that at the time our continuous longest serving player may have had something to offer as a left sided wide man....
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 11:43:18 »

McGlashan's signing, now in the context of the entire window Brown had, is perplexing.  Even if he felt one of the existing players could "do a job" on the left, he had no cover for either player, and hoping some youngster nails down a starting spot in a position he has not entirely been tried out in would be just as worrying.  Just seems like signing a player you like without thinking about how to use him.  He got a little unlucky by hoping Taylor and Richards would have a full season in them still, but I'd argue Taylor had already shown signs he didn't really have the longevity in him anymore.  Richards looked fine at seasons end, it was alarming how quickly he seemed to lose his touch (instinct more so as a poacher type of forward).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, May 16, 2019, 12:10:15 »

I know it's OT, but I can't read the thread title without my brian (sic) inserting "electric boogaloo" after it
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: