Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 41   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new manager thread.  (Read 120129 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #525 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:30:51 »

The outlet is the BBC. That footydeck thing appears to be an app.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #526 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:32:28 »

First I have seen of it, copied below...

The Jewell comments will do nothing to dispel the ‘jobs for the boys’ comments, and I’d be interested to know Mr Smeeton’s thoughts on the apparent pre season ambition being a promotion bid rather than a stay in the league effort.

As far as I’m concerned, these are all sensible comments.

New Swindon Town manager Richie Wellens "looked like he had won the lottery" when he was told he had got the job, says Robins chairman Lee Power.

The former Oldham Athletic boss, 38, was appointed on Tuesday, after the League Two club sacked Phil Brown.

Swindon are 17th in the table, seven points below the play-off places.

"He is the first manager I have had who was chomping at the bit and could not wait to [start], with a very infectious character," Power told BBC Wiltshire.

"He looked like he had won the lottery. That's how he comes across. I felt the football club needed that injection and needed a lift."

Wellens, who is the fifth different Swindon manager in three years, spent just under a season as Oldham boss, winning 14 of his 43 games in charge, but left in the summer after their relegation from League One on the final day.

"What he did at Oldham was quite incredible. He performed miracles there, just to keep them alive until the final day," Power continued.

"[Former Wigan and Derby boss] Paul Jewell spoke very highly of him. I'd spoken to Richie in the summer, when I was contemplating whether to renew Phil [Brown]'s stay or to make a change back then.

"But I felt it was only fair to give Phil a crack of the whip with his own players. So Richie's always been in the back of my mind."

Robins' form 'had gone stale' under Brown

Former Hull City and Southend United boss Brown succeeded David Flitcroft at the County Ground in March and led Swindon to a ninth-placed finish last season.

On dismissing the 59-year-old, Power added: "It was a difficult decision.

"When Phil came in last season, we thought we would definitely make the play-offs, if not try and get up automatically. That didn't work.

"In the summer, we sat down and Phil asked me to give him an opportunity with his own players. He felt that with his own group he could get us up this year.

"He worked hard and he's an honest man but ultimately it's a results business. It felt a bit sour and results weren't what they want to be.

"It looked like it had gone a bit stale. I think the change had to be made. He understood. I wish him well and I'm sure he'll be back in football soon."
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #527 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:39:28 »

First I have seen of it, copied below...

The Jewell comments will do nothing to dispel the ‘jobs for the boys’ comments, and I’d be interested to know Mr Smeeton’s thoughts on the apparent pre season ambition being a promotion bid rather than a stay in the league effort.

As far as I’m concerned, these are all sensible comments.

well, Power’s own choices haven’t been up to much, so asking the advice of someone else seems like a sensible move.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #528 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:44:30 »

apologies, link changed to BBC direct
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #529 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:46:40 »

Was he? Tactics, I presume?

He was already at the club, though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #530 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:47:35 »

I just removed that as you replied, may be I imagined it, can't find any supporting evidence
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #531 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:50:29 »

Aha!

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2016/november/tim-sherwood-appointed-as-towns-new-director-of-football/
Speaking about joining Town, Sherwood said: “I’ve had other offers but this is an interesting project that I’ve had a close eye on for four years since I started loaning players into this football club,” he told the assembled media.

“Luke Williams is at the football club because of me, he was my recommendation, I came across him in the development phase of the game and I recommended him to Lee (Power).

No Tactics Tim involved this time, so its kind of irrelevant.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #532 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:52:16 »

New Swindon Town manager Richie Wellens "looked like he had won the lottery" when he was told he had got the job

As well he might.

Having apparently worked for "free" under John Sheridan at the Latics.

Wellens the cheap option appealing to Power?

The experienced route under Fltitcroft and Brown, in which I must admit I'd seen some merit, appears not to have worked.

On the other hand...

Wellens does seem ambitious.  He does have the benefit of a modicum of experience.  Even if it was ultimately unsuccesful.  If he learns from it then that would still be valuable.  And if he also enjoys a bit of luck (the quality most esteemed by Napoleon in his Generals). 

As they say "we go again...".  Upwards this time, please.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #533 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 17:56:51 »

I'd imagine that 8 goals from 30 odd games in the last 5 and a half years would clinch it for Power.
Thanks.  That sort of answers it.  

Richards, Hunt and Taylor all have a few goals in them.  If we looked for a Carer, an RGN and an Activities Co-Ordinator in midfield, I guess they could still do a job for us.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #534 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:02:38 »

Chang nothing there which we hadn't deduced or knew as the TEF collective.  As for the promotion aim.... in the words of Mandy Rice-Davies much beloved of Tory politicians of old "well he would say that, wouldn't he" 

I prefer to look at pre-season squad development, and there was nothing suggesting a serious effort... if you build a squad for top 3 and fall a bit short, you still get PO's, if you build a side for 7th and slip up you're midtable... if as we seemed to do you build a side for mid table and slip up you're in trouble.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #535 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:30:41 »

... if you build a squad for top 3 and fall a bit short, you still get PO's, if you build a side for 7th and slip up you're midtable... if as we seemed to do you build a side for mid table and slip up you're in trouble.

Oh come on Reginald, that's a large leap. Going by your structure it should continue as;

...build a side for mid table and slip up, you're about 18th at worse. Build a side for a doldrumic environment and slip up, you're conference bound.

It seems any team can have any plan it likes but the only one that could guarantee almost certainty is if you build a side for relegation (which would be verging on insanity). Even then, there are still many factors that you can't control. Exhibit one; someone being shitter than you.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:32:26 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #536 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:32:07 »

Chang nothing there which we hadn't deduced or knew as the TEF collective.  As for the promotion aim.... in the words of Mandy Rice-Davies much beloved of Tory politicians of old "well he would say that, wouldn't he"  

I prefer to look at pre-season squad development, and there was nothing suggesting a serious effort... if you build a squad for top 3 and fall a bit short, you still get PO's, if you build a side for 7th and slip up you're midtable... if as we seemed to do you build a side for mid table and slip up you're in trouble.

Please share your midtable budget information comparable with the rest of the league with us all.
you make it seem so easy. did Notts County set up for mid table?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #537 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:55:37 »

the source of the BBC piece

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06rs94t
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #538 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:55:49 »

There's a 17 min interview with Power on the BBC as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06rs94t

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #539 on: Wednesday, November 14, 2018, 18:58:25 »

budget 2M, cut from a top 3 last year, to a top 5 this season, Power
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 ... 41   Go Up
Print
Jump to: