Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Summer Cricket 2018  (Read 37396 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Thursday, July 26, 2018, 12:04:34 »

Squad picked for the Test series v India...

Moeen back and Adil Rashid back.  Jamie Porter in for the first time.

Kind of sums up the state of domestic 1 st class cricket.....   Adil gave up red ball cricket at the start of the summer, yet gets picked for the Tests.

Both Jack Leach and Dom Bess left out, essentially as they have hardly played any Championship cricket, to get any form and fitness.  There isn't too many other options.

Porter is fair enough... leading wicket taker last year and has been steady this year, so merits a chance.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, July 26, 2018, 12:56:48 »

Given the conditions, was thinking back to the cricket in the summer of '76.

The West Indies spent just over three months in the country for a 5 match test series, three ODI's plus tour matches.

Vic Richards scored over 800 runs in the test matches, as the ball shot across parched outfields.

It's very unlikely that the current England captain will say anything to upset the visitors beforehand, unlike the abrasive Tony Greig back then.

Back to this summer, and chief selector Ed Smith has an impressively large forehead. What could possibly go wrong.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, July 26, 2018, 13:05:03 »

Given the conditions, was thinking back to the cricket in the summer of '76.

The West Indies spent just over three months in the country for a 5 match test series, three ODI's plus tour matches.

Vic Richards scored over 800 runs in the test matches, as the ball shot across parched outfields.

It's very unlikely that the current England captain will say anything to upset the visitors beforehand, unlike the abrasive Tony Greig back then.

Back to this summer, and chief selector Ed Smith has an impressively large forehead. What could possibly go wrong.

One of my favourite series.... Mickey Holding at The Ova,l 14 wickets, 9 bowled, 3 LBW, only 2 caught.  Fast yorkers on a dry pitch.

The match at Edgbaston next week is the 1000th Test played by England.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, July 26, 2018, 13:20:31 »

One of my favourite series.... Mickey Holding at The Ova,l 14 wickets, 9 bowled, 3 LBW, only 2 caught.  Fast yorkers on a dry pitch.

The match at Edgbaston next week is the 1000th Test played by England.

Leading run scorer for England was David Steele, looked like an accountant going out to bat.
Stood up to the fast bowling in the pre helmet days wearing glasses if memory serves.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, July 26, 2018, 14:12:21 »

Kind of sums up the state of domestic 1 st class cricket.....   Adil gave up red ball cricket at the start of the summer, yet gets picked for the Tests.

Yup really dumb misguided opportunuism.  Offers no encouragement whatsoever for ambitious cricketers to stick with championship cricket.
aroundthefur

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, July 26, 2018, 20:45:08 »

Yup really dumb misguided opportunuism.  Offers no encouragement whatsoever for ambitious cricketers to stick with championship cricket.
Except that Jennings, Porter and Curran have all earnt their places off the back of Championship performances.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Friday, July 27, 2018, 08:23:28 »

Except that Jennings, Porter and Curran have all earnt their places off the back of Championship performances.

If there's one thing I can't stand it's people using pertinent facts to undermine my point of view.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, July 27, 2018, 09:35:40 »

I like Rashid, he'll probably go for a similar number of runs per over in Tests as he does in ODIs but if he gets Kohli out a few times then it might be worth it.

It is usually a good policy to do anything that Michael Vaughan disagrees with. His media career really does make me wonder how he managed to be such a good captain.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, July 27, 2018, 17:03:07 »

he inherited a squad battle-hardened and competitive under the leadership of Nasser Hussain and a few great players many of whom stayed uninjured for the big series
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, July 28, 2018, 06:22:12 »

https://www.facebook.com/172866549539947/posts/1062275143932412/

An evening with Merv Hughes at Swindon Cricket Club on 12th August after his touring team match with Swindon.
Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, July 28, 2018, 08:08:33 »

he inherited a squad battle-hardened and competitive under the leadership of Nasser Hussain and a few great players many of whom stayed uninjured for the big series

Doubtless AroundTheFur will have some irritating facts to contradict this, but I think you are being too dismissive of Vaughan's contribution as captain. 

The key to the whole series, for me, was the first day (and particularly the first morning) of the Edgbaston test when Vaughan encouraged Trescothick & Strauss to go out and bat aggressively after we had been inserted by that arrogant prick Ponting.  We stole the initiative from Australia by scoring 400+ on the first day, which hadn't happened to them for 50+ years (I think), and never looked back.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Saturday, July 28, 2018, 17:47:53 »

You're right - that was a critical morning I had forgotten about.  In one of the greatest series ever.

I just felt that while Nas managed to get his team to compete touring the subcontinent and climb the rankings, Vaughan  was a bit of a home boy, up for the big occasion and benefited from performances by players at their peak.

Anyway, down with bringing pertinent facts into it generally.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Saturday, August 4, 2018, 11:33:23 »

That was rather good.

1-0 up going to Lord's, where I think we'll have a tough time on a flatter deck and without Stokes. But a lead is good.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, August 4, 2018, 12:36:45 »

That was rather good.

1-0 up going to Lord's, where I think we'll have a tough time on a flatter deck and without Stokes. But a lead is good.

Very enjoyable Test... wouldn't describe it as great, as too many basic mistakes.  Whereas England's record at Edgbaston is very good, at Lord's it is indifferent.

Presumably Woakes will come in for Stokes. That might save Malan.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2018, 08:44:58 »

Well England somehow won the series, despite some horrendous sessions.

I guess by the array of all rounders finding something at the right time and Buttler morphing into a proper bat on occasions.  Jimmy and Broad, had their moments in helpful conditions.

It's fitting the all rounders in, that causes a problem... so a strength becomes a weakness.

So on to Cooky.... it's been a shame to see him wane this summer, but the time is right. I shall miss him, but at least he's going to carry on for Essex.

Did alright with only 3 shots. Some people if finding it difficult to sleep count sheep, I suggest running the pull to midwicket, cut wide of the gully and prod down through the V between mid on and midoff, as a foolproof method. 

Add in extra Siddle, Hilfenhaus and sundry Convicts getting hot under the collar, in 10/11.  Cooky and J Trott is probably what drove them to sandpaper to get them out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: