Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do I find out if land is being considered for being built on (Horlock?)  (Read 12877 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, October 4, 2018, 08:21:44 »

The council definitely own the land, and I'm sure they were trying to make a few bob to bridge the budget deficit - y

You only have to look at Highworth in the last week- building 5 or 6 high value houses to generate an estimated 500K of profit - the local objections received weren't about where they are building  - just that the need is for affordable housing (which presumably wouldn't be as profitable).

Good point on the soil samples with regard to the percolation tests.

Its more confusing because a few weeks ago they also surveyed the drains and marked all the utilities around the site with colour coded scribbles on the path. You'd think that a waste of time and effort if access and flooding risk were already issues...

In any case, looks to be a no go (at least for now) so happy enough (for now).
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 16:02:50 »

Er, Horlock, please can you answer a question.

Had the council rejected a site under Shelaa, could they still sell it on to a developer?

Only this is "interesting", and its  not obvious which part of the site is being shiftied by the council.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17003285.councils-decision-to-sell-land-in-swindon-instead-of-build-is-approved/?ref=mr&lp=5
The decision taken by the authority’s deputy leader and cabinet member for finance Russell Holland to offer five parcels of land - Marigold Close in Haydon Wick and Nuffield Close, Rannoch Close, Ramleaze Drive and Sparcells Drive, all in Shaw

SN22sy:
https://www.swindon.gov.uk/info/20113/local_plan_and_planning_policy/647/monitoring_and_evidence_base/5

They said this to the area of the south

The site is located within the Swindon urban area. A small part of the site is of low or medium susceptibility
to surface water flooding. Approximately 10% of the site is both Flood Zone 2 and Flood Zone 3. The site is
located within an area of designated Open Space on the Swindon Borough Local Plan Key Policies Map,
therefore Policy EN3 applies. An open space appraisal will be required to demonstrate that loss of the site
does not adversely affect local needs and/or existing quality of open space within the area, or that
alternative provision can be made locally of equivalent or better size, quality and accessibility. A footpath
joins the site which should be retained. The site is suitable for residential development however only the
northeastern portion of the site is developable due to flood risk and access issues. Given the irregular
shape of the site
, vegetation on site and access from Bryony Way it is not considered that the site could deliver 5 or more dwellings, and therefore falls below the SHELAA site size threshold

What I wondered is whether omitting from the SHELAA assesment the bit they considered  having "flood risk and access issues" could still be sold off with a developer prepared to overcome those issue.

However, if its just the area with <5 houses that was rejected, fair enough. Hard to argue against that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 15:46:35 »

bump for Mr H Smiley
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 16:10:50 »

bump for Mr H Smiley

Been on holiday, will have a look and come back to you....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, October 31, 2018, 17:41:59 »

Thanks Dude. Sorry to keep pestering you.

I'll email the council later to try and get clarification too.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 10:43:05 »

Ultimately they can do what they like with the land and if they find a developer who is prepared to buy and thinks they can sort the issues affecting the site that would make sense from a taxpayers POV (although obviously any scheme would still need PP and be in accordance with planning policy and the requirements of the EA re flooding - thus I can see any sane developer would only buy on an option anyway, meaning that the Council would have a financial interest in the planning application), likewise however if they sell without PP and it can be developed that rather makes a mockery of all the BS about getting best value for the Council etc.

P>s - Don't let Reg see this.....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 11:04:28 »

thanks Horlock. Really appreciate the time spent answering this.

fyi: The council set up a separate council owned 'housing' company, and I believe the land would be sold (with pp) using this company to give the illusion of financial interest separation from the planning department.

suspect we'll (local resident) have a fight on our hands to get this blocked, and they ultimately do what they want anyway but got to try.

but I'll try and get answers from the council on which land is proposed to be sold off first ...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 16:51:24 »

thanks Horlock. Really appreciate the time spent answering this.

fyi: The council set up a separate council owned 'housing' company, and I believe the land would be sold (with pp) using this company to give the illusion of financial interest separation from the planning department.

suspect we'll (local resident) have a fight on our hands to get this blocked, and they ultimately do what they want anyway but got to try.

but I'll try and get answers from the council on which land is proposed to be sold off first ...

I think just keep your eyes open for any consultations and keep the bastards on their toes... If anything else pops up more than happy to help as much as I can from 200 miles away!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, November 1, 2018, 17:06:48 »

thanks
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: