Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do I find out if land is being considered for being built on (Horlock?)  (Read 12875 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:13:32 »

We own a house close to this area of land (the green bit!)

https://goo.gl/maps/9fPvJfPbZiT2

There is speculation its going to be built on. This must come from somewhere.
How do we go about finding out if it is?

Any advice on fighting this should it be so would be good too - call me a NIMBY if you like but the grass is where the kids play in summer. Then it adds more access issues...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:17:56 »

OK the local Councillor has said it is in process of "strategic housing and economic land availability assessment" - core soil sample have been taken

Anyone know WTF?!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:22:05 »

aaaaaah, fluid situation, still need comments:

Rebecca Norman technically yes under the strategic housing and economic land availability assessment.

[https://www.gov.uk/guidance/housing-and-economic-land-availability-assessment

All they have done is taken a soil sample so they can tick a box and say that site has been done. They will be doing this all over Swindon and in fact the entire country.

Unless someone specifically puts this forward as a viable location I would ask people to remain vigilant but calm.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:22:06 »

https://www.swindon.gov.uk/info/20030/planning_and_regeneration/380/view_or_make_comment_on_a_planning_application/1
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:22:48 »

thanks 4d
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:25:49 »

I'd be very very surprised if they built houses there.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:35:14 »

me too! but this is SBC
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 13:49:52 »

Looks like a prime spot to me!  Cheesy

Seriously though it sounds like someone is putting it forward for consideration within the SHLAA, which the Council basically use to identify land where housing could be built, normally in the first instance means the Council asking owners to put suitable land forward (a call for sites) and the owner identifying it on a form and filling in a pro-forma which normally includes loads of questions about access/services/ecology/heritage/deliverability (to name a few).

Once they are all in the Council assesses each one against some criteria and identify what is actually suitable and when it can be delivered (Councils have by law to have a demonstrable 5 year supply of housing land available - its a hugely contentious issue in planning circles) they then normally publish an allocations document which to be honest means that the site is likely to be built upon if they owner decides to apply for permission for instance the local one here looks like this....

http://applications.southlakeland.gov.uk/documentbrowser/DocumentBrowserFiles/local%20plan/land%20allocations/00%20Adoption/01%20Local%20Plan%20-%20Land%20Allocations%20Adopted%20Dec%202013.pdf

Thats off the top of my head, got to pop out now to pick the bairn up from school, but will have a look where they are in Swindon later (if I forget give me a prod or at least make sure the thread stays on the front page!)

Fucking Nimby's - bane of my life.  Wink

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 14:02:03 »

Thanks Horlock!

Seriously though it sounds like someone is putting it forward for consideration within the SHLAA, which the Council basically use to identify land where housing could be built,

1. So are they duty bound to provide all sites over a square footage for consideration, or can they just select whatever they want? (i.e. is the land assessment a matter of process or choice)?

2. Any idea how I keep an eye out for the allocations document updates and the frequency of their release?

Fucking Nimby's - bane of my life.  Wink

You sound like the ideal person to ask on how to tackle it if needs must, come on, lets make the SBC planning officers life hell. There'll be beer in it!

Thanks again
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 14:59:46 »

Looking at it, looks like the land is already noted as being Open Space and thus afforded some protection within the Local Plan (Policy EN3) Plan and Proposals map can be accessed via here https://www.swindon.gov.uk/info/20113/local_plan_and_planning_policy/635/swindon_borough_local_plan_2 This will obviously be a consideration within both the call for sites process, but any subsequent planning application that may or may not follow.

Details of the Call for Sites can be found here https://www.swindon.gov.uk/info/20113/local_plan_and_planning_policy/647/monitoring_and_evidence_base/5

Not sure if you can ask to be informed, I know that some Councils allow you to sign up for email alerts for Policy consultations, but not sure if Swindon do that? Normally once the Council have completed their initial assessment the document is opened up to public consultation at which point you can have your say, looks to be at a very early stage at the moment but who knows. 
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 15:08:29 »

1. So are they duty bound to provide all sites over a square footage for consideration, or can they just select whatever they want? (i.e. is the land assessment a matter of process or choice)?

Its normally choice, although people normally take the opportunity as obviously allocated land is worth probably double what unallocated land is worth - Bizarrely we have three allocated sites in our village but the owners of two of them are doing fuck all to obtain planning permission, but that might just be down to us living in Royston Vasey!

I have never done it but you can also apply for land to be allocated even if you don't own it, much as you can apply for planning permission on land you don't own.

Who actually owns the land, such open space is normally either retained by the developer just in case or palmed off to the Council at the first opportunity.

2. Any idea how I keep an eye out for the allocations document updates and the frequency of their release?

See message above as you can often sign up to stay informed, Council should publicise or members should let residents know, just a case of keeping eyes and ears open!

You sound like the ideal person to ask on how to tackle it if needs must, come on, lets make the SBC planning officers life hell. There'll be beer in it!

As a former Planning Officer (Conservation Officer actually) before I went over to the dark side, I an normally fairly sympathetic to Council Officers as its an underpaid and over stressed job for most of them, however, Swindon BC are possibly the worst authority I have ever dealt with so yeah - go get them!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 15:13:23 »

thanks, will digest when home from work
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 15:43:36 »

Football stadium? 
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 15:57:42 »

Football stadium? 

Give it a couple of seasons and I am sure such a small plot of land will suffice.....
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, April 26, 2018, 16:37:32 »

Does anyone know of any Great Crested Newts for sale, asking for a friend.

So, in summary I guess the plan of attack is to try and keep an eye on how things progress (try and register for updates) and take it from there if anything transpires.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: