Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newport County v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 37456 times)
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #195 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 10:18:42 »

Vigs this season has been no better than the other keepers. He has been shit with the added bonus of appearing disinterested. I would also play Henry for the last 3 games but I'd happily see the other 3 keepers gone and a new one brought in.
I'd keep mullin, knoyle, Richards, Conroy, Preston, Norris, and purkiss. Taylor is great on the ball but off of it is shite. I'd keep him but maybe as a supersub. The others can go. Woolery and Anderson are shite. Dunne and linganzi just don't influence games enough. Lancashire is shit and a shit captain. Robertson is wank. Hussey can go fuck himself if he whacked one of ours yesterday. Banks has gone seriously backwards.
I'd actually make purkiss captain and play him in a central ,3 with Conroy and Preston around him.
I must see a different game to most.i rate purkiss and Norris but think woolery is utter shite.
Let's see what a couple of our young ones are like now for the next 3.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 10:31:36 »

Very bad form by Hussey if that is indeed true.

Bye Bye Hussey.

Some cunt in a flash Merc with the number plate HU55IEY was driving like an idiot down Great Western Way yesterday morning, weaving in and out of cars. I assume it was him.

What a grade A bellend.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 10:41:07 »

I still stand by my comment yesterday that it's been a shit season.  I was also in the camp of genuinely thinking we'd be challenging for autos, least of all play-offs.  What did I base that on?  Probably nothing more than the fact that the last 2 times we've been in League 2 we've come straight back up (under 2 very different managers).  Coupled with Power stepping away from recruitment, supposedly providing a decent budget for League 2, I just wrongly had that expectation.  Not only am I obviously disappointed I was wrong, the football has been absolutely shit and we've had some real hammerings.  In fact I'm struggling to think of a game I can honestly say I came away from having enjoyed.  Probably Crewe because of turning it around.  The fact that large sections of our support had already left by the time we scored the winner pretty much sums this season up.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 10:52:25 »

Luton away was a rare bright spot.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 11:26:59 »

Luton away was a rare bright spot.

I didn't go, so can't even say that  Sad
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 11:27:37 »

I'm not terribly analytical in assessing whether it's been a shit season or not, I just ask myself the question, "How much have I enjoyed this season?" My answer is "Not one bit OST"...it has therefore been, without doubt a shit season.

A bit of analysis is sometimes a good idea for example your contention that Flitters was worse than Hart.  Truth is that a comparison between Phil Brown and Hart, shows a similar record.  Hart got 11 games.... PB 10.  After 7 Hart's record W 1 D 3 L3.... PB's W1 D4 L2.

You then contend that if PB stays and Power gives him a "decent" budget you'd expect us to compete for top 3 next season.

Flitters had a win rate over 50%..... Hart 20 something. PB's slightly better.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 12:46:17 »

Still no more news on the Hussey incident ?,  must admit I didn't see anything myself,  but then, like many others was in a rush to get out after such a shit performance and get back to the cider house we found just next to the station.  Anyway,  if it's true as it seems it is IMO Hussey can just fuck off back to Yorkshire.  Shit game,  Shit season, roll on August, let's start again.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 13:32:09 »

A bit of analysis is sometimes a good idea for example your contention that Flitters was worse than Hart.  Truth is that a comparison between Phil Brown and Hart, shows a similar record.  Hart got 11 games.... PB 10.  After 7 Hart's record W 1 D 3 L3.... PB's W1 D4 L2.

You then contend that if PB stays and Power gives him a "decent" budget you'd expect us to compete for top 3 next season.

I think that type of comparison only serves to illustrate how incredibly difficult it is for a manager to come in with 10-12 games of a season remaining and try and get some positive results with a team built by their predecessor.
Throw MacDonald in there as well.

Flitcroft's loss rate was an impressive 40%

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 14:00:22 »

A bit of analysis is sometimes a good idea for example your contention that Flitters was worse than Hart.  Truth is that a comparison between Phil Brown and Hart, shows a similar record.  Hart got 11 games.... PB 10.  After 7 Hart's record W 1 D 3 L3.... PB's W1 D4 L2.

We can interpret the stats how we like depending on our 'half full/half empty/nonplussed' outlooks. DF may well have had a win rate over 50% but he had a loss rate of about 43% the other 7% making up draws.

Now if we want to be comparable and make it a fairish test. Let us use your stats for both Hart and Brown in the short period they managed/have managed Town to date and DFs stats at Stags to date because there's no point comparing DFs 42 games at Town to PB and PH shorter data;

Manager    P  W D L  W%   D%    L%
=======================
Phil Brown  7   1  4  2  14.3  57.1    28.6
Dave Flitcr  9   1  4  4  11.1  44.45  44.45
Paul Hart   11  1  4  6    9.1  36.3    54.6

It's interesting they've all drawn four so far, which would indicate a fine margin. We also have to take into account that PH's data was in the league above. None of them come out great in the W% but it's probably important to note that PB's  L% is extremely better than PH's at nearly 50% and significantly better against DF's at about 35%. Feel free to interpret these stats however you wish.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 14:03:42 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 14:19:21 »

Well I committed to go and so I went. Pissed about on the trains there and back.....no you need a ticket...no you don't need a ticket, pay on the train....blah blah...shambles.

I did get a result yesterday, discovering the Cellar Door micro pub and £3 a pint 6% scrumpy....wonderful.

Got to the ground and whilst basking in the sunshine thought I might go to sleep as the cider kicked in. The players decided to that for me...fucking worse than hopeless display in the first half.

Newport organised and physical and we couldn't match them, second best.

Improved second half but we needed a win and that was never going to happen. Disappointing as I though we put up a decent show on Tuesday night.

Fucked off back to the pub for another scrumpy and back on the train.

Season finished at Exeter and now finally the straws to be grasped have all disappeared....we ain't going no where.

The abyss of non league has been avoided and I was seriously worried that we would drop again. I would of taken out current league finish all day long on opening day.... defeatist maybe but we were worse than dogshit last season and I was fearful of free fall.
I believe we had a competitive team to watch and support...quite good but obviously not good enough.

Next season is key and I am hoping we do at least have something to build on for a shot at L2....work to do...

Clems Army!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 14:19:45 »

I didn't go, so can't even say that  Sad
A really good away day and a reminder of how good it can be following STFC  Yes

A bit of analysis is sometimes a good idea for example your contention that Flitters was worse than Hart. 
When I say 'worse than Hart' I'm really just saying I dislike him more (which is saying something as I really couldn't stand Hart). Statistical analysis doesn't really apply - it's subjective. I also just happen to think that Brown will do a much better job than Flitcroft did - again purely subjective.

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics"...Benjamin Disraeli (or the Duke of Wellington or Mark Twain or possibly none of them)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 14:21:36 »

We can interpret the stats how we like depending on our 'half full/half empty/nonplussed' outlooks. DF may well have had a win rate over 50% but he had a loss rate of about 43% the other 7% making up draws.

Now if we want to be comparable and make it a fairish test. Let us use your stats for both Hart and Brown in the short period they managed/have managed Town to date and DFs stats at Stags to date because there's no point comparing DFs 42 games at Town to PB and PH shorter data;

Manager    P  W D L  W%   D%    L%
=======================
Phil Brown 7  1  4 2  14.3  57.1  28.6
Dave Flitcr 9  1  4 4  11.1  44.45  44.45
Paul Hart  11 1  4 6    9.1  36.3  54.6

It's interesting they've all drawn four so far, which would indicate a fine margin. We also have to take into account that PH's data was in the league above. None of them come out great in the W% but it's probably important to note that PB's  L% is extremely better than PH's at nearly 50% and significantly better against DF's at about 35%. Feel free to interpret these stats however you wish.  Smiley

I don't really care about what Flitters does at Mansfield, beyond them being in the same league as us, which applies to 22 other teams.

What interests me is STFC and how we might be going forward into 18/19, as well as historical perspectives.  

It seems that several expected us to be top 3, not because we're Swindon in Div 4.... therefore 2 grades of measure,  A.  Finish top 3; good.    B don't finish top 3; shit

I'm a bit more nuanced...  having 4 grades.
A. Finish top 3; good  
 B. Respectable season, some good, some bad, finish safely upper top half; OK
C. A long flirt with the drop, but ultimately stay up; pretty shit
D. Conference trap door; big shit
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 15:53:33 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 14:35:00 »

I don't really care about what Flitters does at Mansfield, beyond them being in the same league as us, which applies to 22 other teams.

What interests me is STFC and how we might be going forward into 18/19, as well as historical perspectives.  

It seems that several expected us to be top 3 because we're Swindon in Div 4.... therefore 2 grades of measure,  A.  Finish top 3; good.    B don't finish top 3; shit

I'm a bit more nuanced...  having 4 grades.
A. Finish top 3; good  
 B. Respectable season, some good, some bad, finish safely upper top half; OK
C. A long flirt with the drop, but ultimately stay up; pretty shit
D. Conference trap door; big shit

Ahhh, a lovely political response, swerving the evidence on the table with distraction (I'm being a pedant but it's true). A man after my own heart you are Reg (now i'm being honest). I can't remember who said it but someone once simply said;

'Are we all, so different?'

I don't think you can say most people think top 3 great; not top 3 shit. It's not as definitive as that. Could be more nuanced than yours (i'd probably find a way to have six grades), could be slightly less nuanced. I would err on 3 grades;

A) Top 3 - Pretty good/sort of expected
B) Top 10 - Good/nothing less/bit mehh (when the emotional dust has settled if outside P/O)
C) 11 Down - Crap/Really crap (especially if had been a relegation fight)

The football has been very poor at times though.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 14:59:00 by bamboonoshoe » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 14:53:13 »

Of all the games I saw as much as anything else I was disappointed in the way we played. Compared to last season where we overplayed time and again, this season was the total opposite. I struggle to remember (at home mainly) where we passed the ball around for any length of time which resulted in a shooting/goalscoring opportunity on a consistent basis. Can only be hopeful it might change for next season.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Sunday, April 15, 2018, 15:02:22 »

I don't think anyone will say anything other than this has been a shit season, with degrees of opinion heavily influenced by prior expectations. I haven't found it as tedious as last season although the quality of league 2 football is generally awful.
I would expect we've had one of the bigger budgets in the league do the outcome can't go other than disappointing.

Looking forward to next season, if I'm correct those remaining in-contract are Charles-Cook, Lancashire, Conroy, Dunne, Anderson, Mullin, Woolery, Norris and Richards. That gives plenty of scope for rebuilding for whoever the manager is, though it retains some of those who many would like to see gone. I really can't see Vigs wanting to come back here and I'd expect he'll have other options. Likewise Preston would probably hope to get an offer at league 1 level. Other than Henry & Twine and possibly Knoyle there aren't any others I'd be keen to keep.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: