Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newport County v Swindon Town official match day thread  (Read 37474 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 16:54:37 »

Realistically the season was over after the Chesterfield game.... we'll never probably know the full truth as to why Flitters left, but it certainly didn't suggest he had any great faith in the Power project going forward.

There 's still plenty to play for.... despite what Bambi (it's Bamboo, but appreciate the sentiment) thinks, I think we're in a dangerous place.  We don't need the wheels falling off, as the main positive of this season is that we've halted the slide, and been at least competitive in most games.  This has meant we've been around the Po's slots without quite managing to look wholly convincing.  It probably won't take too much off field chaos to throw that achievement away.  So a couple of good shows at the CG would at least suggest all is not lost.

Changed some bits for you.

I think Flitcroft left because he thought he was going into an easier job. So he could get a promotion with Stags and hide behind the massive myth that he is a competent manager. He's a bullshitter. Period.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 17:45:02 »

What an absolute load of shit this season has been.  Really don't know what else to say. 

I can't actually remember the last season we finished well?  Even the seasons we made the play-offs, we effectively limped over the line.  In 3 years, we've gone from being 90 minutes from the championship to this shower of shit who aren't even good enough to make the play-offs in a very poor League 2.  It's shameful how far we've fallen.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 17:47:48 »

What an absolute load of shit this season has been.  Really don't know what else to say. 

I can't actually remember the last season we finished well?  Even the seasons we made the play-offs, we effectively limped over the line.  In 3 years, we've gone from being 90 minutes from the championship to this shower of shit who aren't even good enough to make the play-offs in a very poor League 2.  It's shameful how far we've fallen.

And with Power at the helm the decline will continue....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:02:50 »

This season has been far from shit.... just pretty average for Div 4.  You mention the last PO season, well Chesterfield were there too and they now look very likely to make the Conference next season.... now that is shit. 

Strong finishes are rare.... the last one was probably 88/89.  League football is attritional, especially Div 4, squads get ground down by fatigue and injuries, which is eactly what has happened to this one,
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:04:16 »

It’s very easy, and convenient, to point the finger of blame at Power. But it was Flitcroft who recruited, Dunne, Linganzi, Robertson, Lancashire, Purkiss. Whilst his recruitment of the more offensive players looked decent, I think we all had reservations about the recruitment of defenders and midfielders from the outset.

Yes, we can point to Conroy and Preston missing a large chunk of the season but, to my mind, it was the midfield that managed to both fail to protect the defence and support the strikers. The striking department was weak and seemingly incapable of converting a large % of those chances that were created.

Chuck in a couple of flappy keepers and it’s no real surprise we struggled in so many games.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:22:36 »

you do have to say assembling a promotion winning side from nothing is difficult though.

was not impressed with what we got, with Flitcrofts style or,  ultimately, with Flitcroft. But it was never going to be easy
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:25:13 »

This season has been far from shit.... just pretty average for Div 4.  You mention the last PO season, well Chesterfield were there too and they now look very likely to make the Conference next season.... now that is shit. 

Strong finishes are rare.... the last one was probably 88/89.  League football is attritional, especially Div 4, squads get ground down by fatigue and injuries, which is eactly what has happened to this one,
Bla bla bla Reg. I'm with Jo, it's been an utterly shit season as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure you've enjoyed it immensely though.
Sir red ken

« Reply #157 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:25:46 »

And with Power at the helm the decline will continue....
How can you make such a statement without backing up with evidence! When LP took over we were going nowhere and the stfc fans hated PDC for spending money on players then leaving when they were sold for peanuts behind his back. Some people have short memories, if we stick with LP who's cut costs and is running the club at breakeven, with old hasbeens and nonleague unpolished diamonds, we'll still have a team to support. What league that team ends up in we may need to speak to the Cambridge supporters. Anyway roll on next season with the next manager and his new squad.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:26:36 »

It’s very easy, and convenient, to point the finger of blame at Power. But it was Flitcroft who recruited, Dunne, Linganzi, Robertson, Lancashire, Purkiss. Whilst his recruitment of the more offensive players looked decent, I think we all had reservations about the recruitment of defenders and midfielders from the outset.

Yes, we can point to Conroy and Preston missing a large chunk of the season but, to my mind, it was the midfield that managed to both fail to protect the defence and support the strikers. The striking department was weak and seemingly incapable of converting a large % of those chances that were created.

Chuck in a couple of flappy keepers and it’s no real surprise we struggled in so many games.

Flitters came in late without a pre season planned, largely without a backroom staff, with a need to recruit a more or less full squad, with no great budget advantage over most of the other sides in Div 4.

Most sane folk recognised this as a difficult job.... when he started signing up Div 4 journeymen, most were happy, that it marked a clear departure from Power's Swindon way, which many thought could see us doing a Chesterfield.

Given the constraints, I don't think any manager could have done a whole lot more.  What is now needed is a bit of stability where a gaffer can build on what we've got, add in some fresh players and try to attain an improved finish for next season. The worry is more instability...
adje

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:36:19 »

I'm with Reg it's been nowhere near shit.Disappointing considering the opportunities we've had but not shit

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:45:56 »

Bla bla bla Reg. I'm with Jo, it's been an utterly shit season as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure you've enjoyed it immensely though.

To give some sort of context as to it not being that bad.... in the 31 seasons since we last played at Newport in a league fixture.... in 11 of them we've won more games than the present 19.... in 20 of them we've won fewer.

That puts it pretty much in the average bracket....
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:49:46 »

I'm with Reg it's been nowhere near shit.Disappointing considering the opportunities we've had but not shit
We've managed to combine both being unattractive and ineffective. While there may well be all kinds of mitigating circumstances around that, and I accept some of those, it's still been pretty shit to watch. Which, as a fan, means it has been pretty shit for me
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:54:32 »

To give some sort of context as to it not being that bad.... in the 31 seasons since we last played at Newport in a league fixture.... in 11 of them we've won more games than the present 19.... in 20 of them we've won fewer.

That puts it pretty much in the average bracket....
Previous seasons don't provide any context to this season. They are just that, previous seasons. The league is shit, we've been shit, therefore the season has been shit. How we've done in previous seasons doesn't influence that.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Sir red ken

« Reply #163 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 18:57:35 »

My money was on back to back relegations so I'm looking at a glass half full, we've over performed this season. We could have stayed up last season with some action in January but LP was happy to let us sink.Without a complete club overhaul from now on we can see where LP is taking us. Suck it up STFC hobbits and take what we're given, we'll soon have a new training ground at Highworth and the the county ground will be owned by our chairman, happy days! Will the next slim shady please stand up.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, April 14, 2018, 19:03:30 »

Previous seasons don't provide any context to this season. They are just that, previous seasons. The league is shit, we've been shit, therefore the season has been shit. How we've done in previous seasons doesn't influence that.

Hahaha, this is so true but Reg will never listen. He'll always harp back to something that happened in the 70s as if it has any bearing on a completely different team with a completely different back room in a completely different decade. It's what he does.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: