Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Carlisle matchday thread  (Read 43646 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 19:41:44 »

While previous form shouldn't be an indicator of future outcomes, my reason for thinking that PB can assemble a squad (if here and given license to) for the future is based on his previous trend of promoting teams. The levels can be relative, especially in relation to Hull (even though they saw an accelerated rise through the levels over about 5/6 years), his exploits at Southend could be similar. In the sense that in this moment were are probably similar clubs (in fact we have better history).

I think it purely boils down to a conversation (pending club position) between Chairman and Manager, at seasons end. If PB can convince Power of the direction he wants to take Town and by which means, then there is no reason why an agreement can't be met. Of course, it depends what both parties want, if most of that matches, and how they intend to execute that plan. That will be decided more so in around a months time. Still many strands to many factors though yet. That's my thought anyway Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 21:11:12 »

find it hard to believe he will chuck another 2 million at it, assuming that figures not smoke and mirrors.

can't say I blame him if so, not that exciting for us fans though.

but this season isn't over yet I suppose
The £2m figure Power mentioned on the radio might need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I would be surprised if that figure injected is exclusively playing and transfer budget but maybe includes wider costs of running the club and possibly projects like the training ground?.

Undoubtedly income and gate money is down but the EFL FFP salary cap rules stop director loans for player salary costs. LP has lent money in the past and seems to clawed some back from transfer fees and, as those dry up, had to put some back.

With PB it could be a chicken and egg situation. Do these 10 games give LP and PB to size each other up. PB could convince LP to commit a similar playing budget based on what he does now and PB gets a feel of what needs to be done and if LP is committed.

Sent from my HTC U11
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #197 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 06:29:19 »

Exeter, Wycombe and Accy have shown this season, that you can compete in Div 4 with a modest budget, but all of those have in common a manager who has been there a length of time and been cut some slack during the hard times.
Exeter and Wycombe have both this season pushed their budgets with a top 10 budget for the division, your statement is true for Accrington though.

Despite popular FB belief, I doubt power wants to be in division 4.
Absolutely this, this season is hurting Power because the longer we are in this division the less money he can make, talking about shooting himself in the foot.

Some of our fans who express their thoughts on FB group etc should really be not allowed out of their padded cells long enough to use the interwebs.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 09:22:41 »

Absolutely this, this season is hurting Power because the longer we are in this division the less money he can make, talking about shooting himself in the foot.

Assuming our last season's capitulation was incompetence rather than volition, leads me to think that Power is looking to cut his losses and will soon sell up.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #199 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 10:17:50 »

Assuming our last season's capitulation was incompetence rather than volition, leads me to think that Power is looking to cut his losses and will soon sell up.
Power has always said he will sell the club if a decent offer comes in, hes never said anything to the contrary, if we get promoted then obviously the club is in a better position to find a more profitable buyer.

I don't think Power will undersell, not ever.

Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 10:21:20 »

I've said it before but I think he is looking for a way out. Waterford are doing really well in Ireland so would make sense for him to focus his efforts there.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 10:39:36 »

Exeter and Wycombe have both this season pushed their budgets with a top 10 budget for the division, your statement is true for Accrington though.

All of those clubs had near misses at promotion last year and have retained their squads to come back again this season.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 10:48:34 »

Think Power's always been willing to sell. It's more a question of is anyone willing to buy? We may want to be careful what we wish for, remember what happened last time we had an owner desperate to dump the club - we might not get so lucky* next time round

* It's all relative
Peter Venkman

« Reply #203 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 11:22:04 »

Think Power's always been willing to sell. It's more a question of is anyone willing to buy? We may want to be careful what we wish for, remember what happened last time we had an owner desperate to dump the club - we might not get so lucky* next time round

* It's all relative
Absolutely, the amount of "serious" buyers out there is extremely low in fact nobody has come forward even suggesting they will buy the club so I don't think selling now would be at all viable for Power.

And yes fans to have to be very careful of what they wish for, Jed Mctwatty comes to mind, not to mention the owners of local rivals Poxfraud and Bristol Rovers who's new owners promise so much but are delivering nothing and only it it for what they can get out of the clubs. There are a LOT of owners like that.

TBF I would rather we have Power than Sisu at Coventry, Oystons at Blackpool et al.

We could be a lot lot worse off, and yes as Tails said the buying of Waterford may well be where he wants to concentrait his efforts long term.

With the financial rewards of games in europe that is a massive incentive, spend 1/4 what he does with Swindon for 10x the revenue based upon qualifying for europe. No brainer really.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 11:34:59 »

Absolutely, the amount of "serious" buyers out there is extremely low in fact nobody has come forward even suggesting they will buy the club so I don't think selling now would be at all viable for Power.

And yes fans to have to be very careful of what they wish for, Jed Mctwatty comes to mind, not to mention the owners of local rivals Poxfraud and Bristol Rovers who's new owners promise so much but are delivering nothing and only it it for what they can get out of the clubs. There are a LOT of owners like that.

TBF I would rather we have Power than Sisu at Coventry, Oystons at Blackpool et al.

We could be a lot lot worse off, and yes as Tails said the buying of Waterford may well be where he wants to concentrait his efforts long term.

With the financial rewards of games in europe that is a massive incentive, spend 1/4 what he does with Swindon for 10x the revenue based upon qualifying for europe. No brainer really.

Interestingly this came up when I was looking at something else on Wiki this morning...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 11:42:20 »

Interestingly this came up when I was looking at something else on Wiki this morning...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs 

So us and Barnet don't have an owner according to that...
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 11:44:43 »

I've said it before but I think he is looking for a way out. Waterford are doing really well in Ireland so would make sense for him to focus his efforts there.

But with the appointment of the chap from waterford seemingly onto Power's payroll and his interest in the aussie club suggest he is looking to add another club to his stable, not sure how may other clubs out there are like Waterford in that put a bit of money in and they can be pushing for europe where the money is made, although they need to get to the group stages for any real money and I'm not sure if they can really achieve that short term.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 11:45:21 »

So us and Barnet don't have an owner according to that...
Although elsewhere on wikipedia they acknowledge that Tony Kleanthous has been the owner since 1994:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Kleanthous

As always, be careful with your sauces
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 11:46:19 »

But with the appointment of the chap from waterford seemingly onto Power's payroll and his interest in the aussie club suggest he is looking to add another club to his stable, not sure how may other clubs out there are like Waterford in that put a bit of money in and they can be pushing for europe where the money is made
Certainly he's going to struggle to find an Australian club to buy that will be able to push for Europe ....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 11:51:28 »

Certainly he's going to struggle to find an Australian club to buy that will be able to push for Europe ....

Look, if the Convicts can get in the Eurovision Song Contest, then a place in UEFA comps should be a piece of piss.  After all they recently moved from Oceania to Asia in FIFA comps.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: