Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Carlisle matchday thread  (Read 43655 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 16:26:41 »

Glenn Hoddle "The goals we gave away were just giveaways."
Classic!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 17:16:48 »

Amazing random games you can remember and I could barely tell you about any of the games this season.

I'm the same, can remember things about games 20/30+ years ago, recent games not so much (if at all)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #182 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 17:30:34 »

I'm the same, can remember things about games 20/30+ years ago, recent games not so much (if at all)
Ditto.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 17:34:29 »

Seems to be a common thing!
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 22:31:41 »

Me too, but then again it's normal. The mid 80s until the mid 90s was a pretty memorable period to be a Town fan, with 3 great managers - each with his own great team. Since then, apart from the occasional season (notably the promotion season with Di Canio) it's been nothing special and often shite.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 11:43:32 »

he was certainly talking short term as a definite when he was talking about Norris earlier in the week.

could just be his way, just think he'll be expecting to get better offers.

I get the feeling listening to him he may be interested but it would depend on the club meeting his ambitions, which you would expect free rein on the playing side to move and sign players and a hearty budget.

Let's hope he does stay as we could be in a flitcroft situation again with nothing setup in pre season, players signed late, new manager not knowing current players, chairman deciding on contracts etc.

And next season transfer window closes early, so having someone in already that knows the club and knows players abilities to play how he wants would be a huge bonus.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 14:35:20 »

If we had PB for next season and was allowed (like DF tbh) to have a free reign on transfers. PB would build a squad capable of challenging in L1. I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone like Michael Turner roll up at the SN1 next season, pending PB's confirmed future.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 14:46:49 »

I get the feeling listening to him he may be interested but it would depend on the club meeting his ambitions, which you would expect free rein on the playing side to move and sign players and a hearty budget.

Let's hope he does stay as we could be in a flitcroft situation again with nothing setup in pre season, players signed late, new manager not knowing current players, chairman deciding on contracts etc.

And next season transfer window closes early, so having someone in already that knows the club and knows players abilities to play how he wants would be a huge bonus.

The next few weeks are going to be pivotal in our medium term future... we're in a dangerous place.

The hoped for stability of at least having a competent Div 4 manager in  Flitcroft, who was able to operate on a relative shoestring under Power in Div 4 has gone, further the waters have been muddied by Power's interest in owning the CG.

His stated aim of owning the ground to grease a sell out, could be compromised by a change of administration at SBC, I doubt a Lib/Lab grouping would sanction a sale to him, rather than the Trust.

This could leave a situation whereby he's looking for an exit, and all he has to sell is a club at its lowest ebb for 35 years, with little in the way of assets and a dwindling crowd base.

This would mean a summer strategy of being put on life support to tick over before the exit door beckons.  A bit like last season's "limp over the line" to Div 3 safety approach.

The positives are that we are reasonably debt free, so nothing like the sale of Ritchie (not that we've got anyone of value) for a song, in order to pay short term bills and the Trust look active enough, to step in and create an Exeter/Wycombe style club.
Flashheart

« Reply #188 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 16:34:00 »

I have no idea if PB will be here next season and I'm not even going to try to read in between the lines of interviews etc. I do think he'd be about the best we could hope for at this level though.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 16:39:14 »

fair enough, as long as he and power thrash it out quickly should we not make the playoffs ...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 17:47:06 »

If we had PB for next season and was allowed (like DF tbh) to have a free reign on transfers. PB would build a squad capable of challenging in L1. I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone like Michael Turner roll up at the SN1 next season, pending PB's confirmed future.

Why do you think this? The new boss might get free rein, but it will have to be within the budget.  There's nothing to suggest that budget would be of the sort of scale Brown is used to working with.... ( see agent's fees)

« Last Edit: Monday, April 9, 2018, 17:49:42 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 17:53:25 »

Power didn't let the Manage take full control before last season, previous behaviour is not always an accurate predictor of the future.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 18:02:25 »

find it hard to believe he will chuck another 2 million at it, assuming that figures not smoke and mirrors.

can't say I blame him if so, not that exciting for us fans though.

but this season isn't over yet I suppose
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 18:12:01 »

find it hard to believe he will chuck another 2 million at it, assuming that figures not smoke and mirrors.

can't say I blame him if so, not that exciting for us fans though.

but this season isn't over yet I suppose

Exeter, Wycombe and Accy have shown this season, that you can compete in Div 4 with a modest budget, but all of those have in common a manager who has been there a length of time and been cut some slack during the hard times.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Monday, April 9, 2018, 18:24:28 »

of course low budget teams can compete.

I bet higher budget teams are statistically more likely to succeed though.

Despite popular FB belief, I doubt power wants to be in division 4.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: