Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Carlisle matchday thread  (Read 43641 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #165 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 12:42:06 »

I hope that PB decides to stay with us next season no matter what league we are in, I think he will get in his own men that play the way he wants, I think we could be quite successful under his managership.

We have seen a few signs that we are better already IMO than under flipflop.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 12:57:43 »

I think if he gets similar support from Power that Flip Flop got he’ll be here. But there are only so many jobs that become available.

Depends if the short term was his idea or Power’s.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #167 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 13:01:34 »

I think it was Robert T that said during the Crawley game that it was clear that it was going to take time for us to be able to change the way we play.

He has made us harder to beat but clearly we are struggling to create clear cut chances. Hopefully his ideas are being taken on board and it will click on Tuesday night.
We get plenty of crosses in but either very little quality or lack of movement from the forwards. Nobody attacks the ball particularly at the front post. Also when was the last time one of our players challenged the keeper in the air for a cross.
I hope brown stays. I think we look a bit more solid and probably not too far from being decent at this level but just short at the moment. That's not browns fault. You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 13:39:39 by chalkies_shorts » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #168 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 13:17:53 »

We get plenty of crosses in but either very little quality or lack of movement from the forwards. Nobody attacks the ball particularly at the front post. Also when was the last time one of our players challenged the keeper in the air for a cross.
I think Ajose would have loved that service yesterday but as a target man who attacks the near post I don't think we have had one since Benson was with us.

Richards is a good defensive forward but hes not a target man or an out and out striker and going to the near post for flick ons or attacking the goal isn't part of his game even though he has got a couple like that already, saying that he is far from fitness at the moment.

I don't know if Twine would play that way if given a chance, I have never seen him play or what his style is but now could be a good chance to blood him, he has a great record at U18 level and got a few for 'Nam earlier in the season too.

I know its a big step up from that level but if you are good enough.....and yes I know hes not the new messiah.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 13:20:01 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 13:19:51 »

The only fault with his display yesterday was that he was not quick enough releasing the ball. On a couple of occasions Woolery and Richards were two on two and an early kick could have put real pressure on their defence. At one stage Brown gesticulated to him to get it moving quicker.

I can't recall us ever having a 'quick release' keeper, but it's all about % play these days.
Would be great to see a keeper who is encouraged to start a counter with quick distribution at the risk of losing possession.

To be fair there were a few occasions when Flitcroft had a go at Lawrence for not releasing quickly enough, but LV does tend to play the game at his own pace.

But yes, Moore had a solid game yesterday.

The pace of Woolery needs to be utilised a lot better than it is at the moment, both from the keeper and midfield.
He needs to improve his awareness as well and no need for him to get caught offside.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 13:25:42 »

Well, if Dunne’s improvement is down to PB, then you would hope, given time, he could get the best out of Woolery and Anderson.

Both have underperformed massively this season, but have shown occasional glimpses that they are both more than good enough. As with teams, individual consistency is the key to success.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 13:28:19 »

I hope brown stays. I think we look a bit more solid and probably not too far from being decent at this level but just short at the moment. That's not browns fault. You can out lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

Yeah I agree. Brown has to make do with what we have currently. Wherever we are next season, he’ll be wanting his own players, it will be interesting to see who Southend release come the end of the season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 14:06:09 »

I think if he gets similar support from Power that Flip Flop got he’ll be here. But there are only so many jobs that become available.

Depends if the short term was his idea or Power’s.

Flitters recruited a side spending about 20 odd K on agents fees. PB at Sarfend spent 10 times that amount.  No doubt Power would give similar support next season, but would Brown be able to operate under those constraints and would he want to try?

I don't know.  My feeling that short term suited both... PB because do well and he'll get something better, without the need for a buy out... Power as it is cheap. The Flitters buy out + his wage, probably covers Brown's fee.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 14:17:57 »

Phil Brown’s appointment doesn’t feel long-term to me. I half expect Alan McLoughlin to be in charge and Joe Romanski at the back for the Accrington game (if the P-O’s are out-of-sight by then)
Peter Venkman

« Reply #174 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 14:44:53 »

Phil Brown’s appointment doesn’t feel long-term to me. I half expect Alan McLoughlin to be in charge and Joe Romanski at the back for the Accrington game (if the P-O’s are out-of-sight by then)
It doesn't feel long term to me either, not sure why just have a feeling.

I think PB is still holding out that Sunderland will be relegated and Coleman sacked so he can apply there.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 15:02:34 »

he was certainly talking short term as a definite when he was talking about Norris earlier in the week.

could just be his way, just think he'll be expecting to get better offers.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #176 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 15:38:42 »

he was certainly talking short term as a definite when he was talking about Norris earlier in the week.

could just be his way, just think he'll be expecting to get better offers.
Why do you say that mate? I didn't hear or read it TBF, what did he say?

Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 15:58:32 »

I can't recall us ever having a 'quick release' keeper, but it's all about % play these days.
Would be great to see a keeper who is encouraged to start a counter with quick distribution at the risk of losing possession.

Nicky Hammond used to get rid of it too quickly sometimes when he first played for us, to our detriment from time to time.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 16:10:32 »

Nicky Hammond used to get rid of it too quickly sometimes when he first played for us, to our detriment from time to time.

I remember a game at Peterborough in about 92 when he miskicked a clearance straight to Tony Adcock for them to equalise 3-3. Pretty sure Sean Taylor scored 2 for us and one for them that day and Micky Hazard had a goal disallowed that would have been a tremendous bit of team football.

Amazing random games you can remember and I could barely tell you about any of the games this season.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #179 on: Sunday, April 8, 2018, 16:14:42 »

I remember a game at Peterborough in about 92 when he miskicked a clearance straight to Tony Adcock for them to equalise 3-3. Pretty sure Sean Taylor scored 2 for us and one for them that day and Micky Hazard had a goal disallowed that would have been a tremendous bit of team football.

Amazing random games you can remember and I could barely tell you about any of the games this season.
Yeah it was live on ITV Taylor scored a hattrick, 2 for us and one for them.

Hammonds kicking was pretty awful most of the time TBF.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: