Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scunthorpe v Swindon match day thread  (Read 39763 times)
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:08:23 »

Am I understanding Williams he essentially told the players to give up we've lost at halftime??? Clueless prick

No. You're not understanding him.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:08:47 »

Really? The radio commentary was very scathing. Said there was no excuse for the first half performance and we had no pride or passion.

Sounds like the standard cliches when you're getting hammered

We do not have anyone who can defend. We have plenty who can pass, move and work hard and we did that relatively well all game.

We have personnel issues - Branco, no proper defensive mid, no wingers if we want to play 451 and no goalscorer which obviously leaves us pretty fucked - but the general play and effort was ok
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:09:33 »

Am I understanding Williams he essentially told the players to give up we've lost at halftime??? Clueless prick

He said the game was over to effectively take the pressure off them. That seems a fair enough approach TBF.
woolster

« Reply #153 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:09:40 »

We won the 2nd half..... didn't get completely humiliated and other results were OK......we're now in the drop zone for the first time since about the same time last season. We do have some players who might come back from injury and help out.

So, just about on the cusp of acceptable for Luke, he'll certainly stagger on for at least another week.

how on earth is getting humiliated in the first half and getting beat 4.1 acceptable
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:10:44 »

No. You're not understanding him.

He said the game was over to effectively take the pressure off them. That seems a fair enough approach TBF.

Fair enough I'm only partly listening have kids making a racket
Flashheart

« Reply #155 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:10:52 »

We won a half!

1.5 points? I'll take that.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:13:16 »

But that sums up our whole approach.

No pressure and we do OK, the opposition put some pressure on and we cave in meekly.

We have no bollocks
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:13:21 »

Williams:
- Started fine
- First good chance for us
- Corner, didn't mark, then look 2nd to everything, confused then 2-0
- Lost focus couln't pass looked confused then 4-0
- Ask squad to tell me what takes to be a top player. They said 20 things that were mental strengths and only one which was physical
- The mental side is most important. The group buckled under mental pressure
- Unfortunately the group buckled under pressure
- Confidence not there
- 1/2 time said we'd lost the game. Now get out there and play. Compete like men.
- To some extent we looked better in 2nd half
- Seems a long time ago we went to Wimbledon
- Seems not so long that we went to Oldham
- Now back to back defeats conceeding too many goals
- Players need to over come fear if they want a career in football
- Need to be strong and resiliant
- We've got what we've got but with Jones and Doughty coming back we had 2 players who wanted it
- Maybe different mental attitude coming back
- Agreed that needed to apologise to fans for first half
- When players are so nervous it gives the impression that they are not trying or prepared to run and tackle
- Not acceptable in professional football
- Manner of last defeats: Need to be stronger and bounce back
- This group have too many players that feel defeated when we go a goal down
- Think that new players might come in in January. Some players have had enough opportunity and not taken it
- On the 'Swindon way': Players need time and cycles need time to pan out. Club was running itself into the ground when Williams arrived. Fortunate and shrewd to put together a group that were affordable and brought us to 90 mins of the Champs. Now its a case of seeing what footballers we have at the club that can make it and who cant
- Williams has to try to prepare the group for every game. He will put aside pressure of the job and try to put right group on the pitch and train the players for it
- Need to be ready to step up
- Will his position be untenable if we lose at Eastleigh?: He will fight for the club and this group of players til the end. Still thinks that with strongest team we can turn things around. Understands that the decision may come to remove him.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:20:29 »

Williams:
- Started fine
- Ask squad to tell me what takes to be a top player. They said 20 things that were mental strengths and only one which was physical
- Confidence not there
- 1/2 time said we'd lost the game. Now get out there and play. Compete like men.
- We've got what we've got but with Jones and Doughty coming back we had 2 players who wanted it
- When players are so nervous it gives the impression that they are not trying or prepared to run and tackle
- Think that new players might come in in January. Some players have had enough opportunity and not taken it
- On the 'Swindon way': Players need time and cycles need time to pan out. Club was running itself into the ground when Williams arrived. Fortunate and shrewd to put together a group that were affordable and brought us to 90 mins of the Champs. Now its a case of seeing what footballers we have at the club that can make it and who cant
- Williams has to try to prepare the group for every game. He will put aside pressure of the job and try to put right group on the pitch and train the players for it
- Will his position be untenable if we lose at Eastleigh?: He will fight for the club and this group of players til the end. Still thinks that with strongest team we can turn things around. Understands that the decision may come to remove him.

Thanks for that NMH
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:20:31 »

how on earth is getting humiliated in the first half and getting beat 4.1 acceptable

We're in a relegtion battle playing the runaway leaders, who if it is to be believed have a budget 3 times ours.  So nobody would really expect any points, the aim as I pointed out was damage limitation, at 4-0 down by half time, the goal difference is taking a hit, and a history making defeat was on the cards....that would have been very damaging, and I couldn't see how Luke could stay on. That we kept a GD of -3, is just about the par score, what you'd expect in the circumstances.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #160 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:21:23 »

Given these comments then id imagine the players will be quivering wrecks if we go a goal down to Eastleigh live on telly.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:24:04 »

Williams:
- Started fine
- Confidence not there
Good work mate, much appreciated 👍

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:25:38 »

Big thumbs down for Doris - with Stewart replacing Delboy.

Nobody has any faith in Williams or his methods. Don't like to see anyone subjected to abuse, but he will get shedloads and it would be kinder to get him out before Eastleigh or it will get very ugly if we lose.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:26:00 »

We're in a relegtion battle playing the runaway leaders, who if it is to be believed have a budget 3 times ours.  So nobody would really expect any points, the aim as I pointed out was damage limitation, at 4-0 down by half time, the goal difference is taking a hit, and a history making defeat was on the cards....that would have been very damaging, and I couldn't see how Luke could stay on. That we kept a GD of -3, is just about the par score, what you'd expect in the circumstances.

I don't think many would have been shocked at the 4-1. The problem I have, and presumably everyone has, is that they steamed though us in the first half. It makes any positives of the second half a bit redundant really as Scunny could cruise.

But Doughty/Jones and Stewart coming back in, and yes keeping it to 4-1, were the positives of the day.

Think we can get something at Eastleigh myself, people are talking like its a forgone conclusion we'll blow it. Maybe that and the returnees will kick us into a bit of a run. Maybe.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, October 29, 2016, 16:28:48 »

But the odd good results we have had haven't made us kick on. We are brittle and if I had to hazard a guess the players don't believe in what Williams is trying to do
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: