Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 40   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Walking Dead *SPOILERS*  (Read 171459 times)
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #390 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2019, 21:28:26 »

I think Henry is basically continuing Corals story arc. Coral got his dick wet over Lydia in the comics so it makes sense. I also read ages ago that Coral became a Blacksmith at Hilltop in the comics too. Henry = Knob and Apprentice Blacksmith - Lydia = Alpha's Daughter. I'd rather that be a short sharp, story arc because there is way too much to tell. Especially with Daryl & Michonne's "X" scars.

As for new characters, I think the "famous five", which were the ones introduced after Rick's death/evacuation (Luke, etc), have a great pedigree and I actually praise the show for using a real deaf actor and using sign language in the script. I don't think there is anything wrong with them and there is plenty of backstory that we haven't seen from them. Could one be an informant of sorts or have a dodgy past? The other "new" characters can't be complained about. Little Judith is bloody awesome and takes no shit from Negan...it's proof she's grown up in this environment and not had to adapt to it. She knows she has been born into a world of death, undead and deception. Alpha and Lydia...well Samantha Norton, as soon as I knew she landed the role I wasn't going to be disappointed. You wouldn't think she has one of the most common Nottingham accents going. Alpha is something totally different really from anything on TWD. Her introduction on last week's episode was great and I like how they managed to build her in, mostly via a flashback of Lydia's story. Great episode. Beta is also another great actor, one of the leads from Sons of Anarchy...I think we're in for a few twists, turns and spiky moments; a few reveals from between the timehop.

Talking of the timehop, I hadn't really thought about it. I think the show has done a great job of moving forward from that moment (Rick's exit with Anne/Jadis). While there are still answers, the distraction of a group of friendly characters (famous five), Judith and the Whisperers has really moved the show on. I feel like TWD is badass again. It's also nice to see Daryl actually getting some proper dialogue, he spent nearly two seasons being this grunting guy on a bike (which he is, in part), with occasional sentence. Maybe Rick leaving has been the best thing to happen to actually keep the show going. It's given licence to open up a few storylines and tell us about them. It became too "Rick centric" and the story was suffering.

Anyway, enough of my digressing splurge. I think S9A and so far S9B has put TWD back up there again. Long live the King...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 18:52:10 by bamboonoshop » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #391 on: Tuesday, February 26, 2019, 21:30:30 »

Interesting, because while I've given up I take the odd dip into another forums TWD thread on occasion to see if there was much to entice me back. The theme there seemed to be 'can we kill off the new people and get new new people' ...

What TWD forum are you reading? Sounds like it's the equivalent of the Swindon Town Fans page on AssBook?  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #392 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 15:35:07 »

I too am still enjoying the latest "new" Walking Dead, and it looks like they are introducing another group also with the sign spray painted on the back of a street sign in Mondays episode.  Like an upside down V crossed with a T.

I am interested to see where this goes.  I am glad one character bit the dust recently as well, he was annoying..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #393 on: Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 17:25:02 »

I too am still enjoying the latest "new" Walking Dead, and it looks like they are introducing another group also with the sign spray painted on the back of a street sign in Mondays episode.  Like an upside down V crossed with a T.

I am interested to see where this goes.  I am glad one character bit the dust recently as well, he was annoying..
Are you referring to Jesus? If so, i liked him? I think he could have gone to be a main character but the writers didn't see it like that.

I also noticed that sign but it slipped my mind until just now.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #394 on: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 09:18:35 »

Yep Jesus, annoyed the shit out of me..

Oh and it is obvious now that Henry was introduced to replace Coral's story arc.  I agree, he is as annoying..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #395 on: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 16:36:22 »

Could it be linked to Michonne & Daryl's "X" scars? I think it looks a bit like a Pi symbol too. Maybe there is a link with Alpha or the Whisperers somewhere in all that too but it definitely got me ticking.

As an aside, some have also joked that "RJ" is the product of Michonne and Daryl hooking up during the timehop...I'm not convinced  Cheesy

Kind of agree with you Berni that Jesus had become a frustrating character, although in S9, funny enough he was forming a good relationship with Aaron and also Daryl. The writing for his character made him look worse. I touched on this but so many out of character inconsistencies left me feeling a bit watery with Jesus. Like his inability to lead Hilltop, even though the character had always been pretty strong and independent. We saw indecisive signs of this in All Out War during S7B&S8A. But I've touched on that. Shame he went but with the influx of newbs, there had to be some sacrifices but also made for a shocker of an exit as we got our first hand look at the Whisperers in the S9MSF.

I'll put it there though, S9 has been well structured so far, even with lots of stuff happening. There seems to be more depth once again in the storytelling, it's pretty obvious new showrunner Angela Kang has got rid of much gimmickry. Much of which was creeping in to every Scott Gimple led episode. During S7 I wouldn't have said this but I actually am looking forward to how S9 will end/develop and what S10 holds. I say, bloody well done for to Kang et al for rescuing a slide into the Football League relegation trapdoor...err I mean, 2-4-1 Bargain Bucket DVD bin.

One thing that baffled me recently though, TWD has been nominated for "Nickelodeon Kids Choice Best TV Show"...yeah. How could it even be on the nominees list?

"...and the nominees are...Dora The Explorer...Sanjay & Craig...Peppa Pig...aand TWD."

Oh well, a win is a win. Strange one though.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #396 on: Thursday, March 7, 2019, 12:42:23 »

What, no updated from this weeks episode? Maybe because it was a bit meh and predictable.

We learned a bit more about the whisperers but it was all to obvious that Henry would get rescued. Good thinking with the masks from Darryl.

Not really much more to say. I was feeling pretty rough on monday so wasn't really at full attention.

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #397 on: Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 15:30:57 »

Decent episode last night. Anyone still watching?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #398 on: Tuesday, March 12, 2019, 16:18:32 »

Yep, I am watching and enjoying it again.

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #399 on: Saturday, March 16, 2019, 15:22:12 »

Yeah still watching, the thread relevance for TWD on the TEF means it gets pushed down quite quickly so have missed it, unless searching for it. Also just been lazy not doing any write ups.

Ok, so Henry basically wanting to get his dick wet (shock horror, 14yr old lad realises what his penis may be for haha), while annoying as every wrong or stupid decision Coral ever made, is integral to that story arc. But for a shit, lovelorn Henry, thankfully most of the cast members are pretty good. Cassidy McClinchy who plays Lydia has been a great addition. Annoying but in a good way, like in a Gregory/Dwight kind of way. You're not 100% sure if she's just fully fucked up or who she'll side with. It seems for now she's with the mini group of Daryl, Connie...and Henry. She's a great actor though. Easily get any creepy, complex horror genre kid in Hollywood (check out Darlin', sequel to The Woman. Directed by Pollyanna "Jadis/Anne" McCintosh).

I like the development of Alpha and the way they introduced her (very similar in some ways to what we assume with Carol's backstory and domestic violence, etc.), all told through the confused, manipulated eyes of Lydia. At least she seems willing to compromise and like a true "baddie", also has someone much more physically stronger to do much of her dirty work for her...

...Enter stage left, Beta. He's a big, hard bastard and certainly wouldn't mess with him. There was something of a reenactment of The Hulk and Loki, in the scene where he lifted and threw Henry with just one arm. Then came the "skinning" scenes as Henry realised what an awful mess he was in. Henry, we get it, you want to have a bit of fun but in the apocalypse you can pretty much get with and girl/boy you want. Still, bless him - can't help who you fall in love with, even if that happens to be the daughter of Buffalo Bill's even crazier cousin! Daryl saves the day, as Chubbs says with the clever idea of using a skin mask to sneak in and rescues both Henry & Lydia. That lad is fucking smitten. The dick.

The latest episode, as would be expected Alpha is a bit pissed at Daryl for taking back her daughter (political pawn signaling within the show, I guess), so she sends Beta to go and beat Daryl up. Essentially we get our first real mini battle for a while and Daryl wins round one. Great scenes, a bit of tenseness and I love how they used Connie's other heightened senses to show how she would be able to survive. Using shadow movement and light to recognise that heightened quality. If anything she will be more aware because of her deafness. Also proved that her group had good contingencies with the store of supplies in the building. Just because she's deaf, she certainly ain't dumb, and she's fast becoming one of my more favourite members of the famous five. Magna & Yukimo are ok but have not had masses of air time. Kelly is a bit meh as she's really not impressed. She compliments better with Connie. Kelly, interestingly is a male character in the GNs and caused some questioning over the gender of Angel Theory (Kelly TV). She is a of course female and is, like Connie, deaf in real life.

Luke has disappeared with Alden (Enid's squeeze) and they've not been seen since. Won't be too fussed if Alden goes, even though he does play a decent peacemaker. Any sign of the Saviour turned Hilltop favourite and the former Fantastic Beasts, Luke was last spotted when their horses were being eaten, after being cut open by Whisperers. Have the Whisperers got them? Seems unlikely, seeing as we've been to the Whisperers Camp and so have Daryl & Connie. So begs the question...Where the fuck are they?

A few things still to patch up (cough). I'll come back to that shortly. Negan...so he's a changed man etc. and Judith has been found out by Michonne that she's befriended him all this time. I guess she's been distracted and there's a lot gone on in the timehop to reveal. But yeah Negan. Needed or expected a little more screen time but for now he's just back in the cell...or is he? Who knows. The Kingdom - bit patchy over there, seems quite fragmented other than King Ez' main focus of trying to push through this Trade Fayre. Some questionably stupid but quite comedic missions to retrieve a bulb for his cinema. On the face of it, you'd say "just no" but they delivered quite a good scene and then we got to meet the Highwaymen (Berni mentioned the symbol a couple back). Who'd have thought the offer of Netflix & Chill in the apocalypse would work as a great negotiating tool. Hey, they've been deprived of "Film" for 6/7/8+ years. It's nice to throw in a little comedy in there and they just about got away with it. So we'll have movie night at the Kingdom once again "...and still I smile."

One more "patch" of significance to cover...I've done Alexandria/Negan, done Hilltop (which really is leaderless without Daryl) and the Kingdom but one area that needs to be addressed or maybe "dressed" is Michonne and her 'X' scar. It also comes full circle because we know Daryl has this same mark too. Now the upcoming episode is aptly named "Scars". We still don't know Michonne's full backstory from when she entered the show back in S2 Finale. Although we can disregard that for now as there is backstory to fill out from the timehop and those scars.

My theory had been about maybe some kind of transplant to save someone, someone we may not even know yet. There has been talk that both Daryl & Michonne both crossed a line and this is the underlying factor as to why Hilltop has been so resenting towards Michonne. However...if that was the true case, why were Hilltop so accepting of Daryl to help out there? Especially if there is an element of mistrust, uncertainty surrounding Michonne. Maybe her "we look after our own" stance has caused more friction, whereas Daryl has always been a lone wolf so to speak. They are forgetting though that Michonne had gone it alone before she found Andrea...hmm interesting.

Anyway, I've changed tack a little or coming to more of a conclusion...and this would make total sense...before I go on, this is purely a guess and I know nothing of the direction of this...hear me out. We have Alpha. We have Beta. We've had an episode called Omega (S9E10 I think) and we have these scars...X scars. Well anyone who knows a little greek knows an 'X' is pretty much the symbol Chi. So is this linked in the show? It's been heavily symbolised in this season. The continuation of 'A' culminating in Alpha currently, Beta, the Omega episode, the Highwaymen symbol, probably a load more too!

Will the X symbolise Chi and what will the revelation be? I'm sticking to some kind of transplant or maybe a branding of sorts or some kind of '"trade". What do you (that are still reading) think the 'X' will reveal? Also what are your thoughts with where the show is at? Has it redeemed itself from the lows of S7b & S8a? For me it's not quite back to it's best. Maybe never get back to that but new characters and a change of showrunner have given it a boost and it's back up there. One thing is for certain, we will find out about the 'X' in Monday's episode of TWD; S9E14: Scars. It's going to be a dark one apparently.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Bamboo!

'Incessant Nonsense'

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #400 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 13:06:04 »

Not sure about this episode "Scars" Whilst it filled in some blanks, Is anyone else finding Michones character increasingly annoying?
I dont know what it is about her i just find her all holier than thou..

The episode did give more fuel to the fire that Daryl is the dad of the 2nd kid.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #401 on: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 22:02:18 »

Not sure about this episode "Scars" Whilst it filled in some blanks, Is anyone else finding Michones character increasingly annoying?
I dont know what it is about her i just find her all holier than thou..

The episode did give more fuel to the fire that Daryl is the dad of the 2nd kid.

I thought it was good, but it was a very different kind of episode from the usual type of TWD we've come to know. However there was a very ruthless element that we know Michonne has had for a while. It was very shades of 'Children of the Corn' & Tarantino's 'Kill Bill'. You could say it was a standalone featurette. Much similar in ways to an episode I bang on about a lot from Season 4; The Grove. The infamous "Look at the flowers Lizzie" scene.

I'm not annoyed with her, this just sealed up some of the holes from the timehop and explains her hostility. That's a whole lot of pent up angst and tension but I guess it's reflective in real life too. When we don't say 'those words we should have' or sit and talk with someone. So you could say it was a poignant episode.

I liked how they subtly switched between past and present, purely with slightly different colour film (I believe most of TWD is all shot on film at Greg Nicotero's request, other than the CGI'd bits). You still had to concentrate though as there were times when you were like "is that now or...nope it's previous." I also enjoyed how they shot the switching of times between the beheading of kids and walkers. I think if we'd seen the actual murder of kids, it would've needed and R rating and screened at 11pm. Hell to that though, we've seen it all on TWD tbh. It still made for some great combined action scenes. Also, present day Judith...she is a cracking actor. Her delivery is much more believable than several actors.

But yes, continuity. There wasn't really muchin this one and it didn't really lead us to anything. It was an episode of closure. Finding Rick's gun was a nice touch, as Michonne turned over burned rancid walkers. Almost in the hope that she would discover his fate. Alas, the viewer knows the truth and I always like these angles because it gives the viewer to see the story in a different way and potentially choose an outcome. Like, you can will the character to find the solution or you may feel that the character should never find out.

All in all, it was an enjoyable episode and certainly didn't feel like filler at all. Yet it was, as mentioned, very much a standalone episode. Maybe this is what the show are priming us for with the impending series of films they will do. To get us into "solo character" mode? Who knows!

My only bugbear was this...Why? Why what? You say. Well, why did Jocelyn decide to do that anyway? I don't mean deceive her pre-apocalypse friend. Just the whole 'creepy kindergarten' thing. What was her motive? Other than mirroring Alpha, of the "Those who stay strong survive. The weak die." mantra but it seemed a bit unnecessary. However, it helped knit the gaps in the timehop and of course there would be several schizos created in that kind of environment or enable the odd psychopath and sociopath. We have seen a few!

Catch ya later Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #402 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 11:19:00 »

Well that was beautifully  evil.

Yes, there is the big question of, how. But does it really matter?

Would have been better if we actually saw it happen but ever since the backlash following Glenn meeting Lucile, that were never going to happen, was it.

Not really main characters but still, a couple that were gaining some limelight in recent weeks
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Ignore
« Reply #403 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 15:14:26 »

Loved this episode..  not convinced about the snowy episode next week from what I have seen, we will see I guess..

Winter is coming indeed..

Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #404 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 15:23:29 »

Loved this episode..  not convinced about the snowy episode next week from what I have seen, we will see I guess..

Winter is coming indeed..
I only watched 2 GOT seasons but there are certainly some similarities.

Who's going to replace Henry and the annoying twat? Although Michone had started to annoy me in recent weeks. Last nights episode i warmed to her a little.

Its a shame we didn't see more of the highway men and i'm surprised they got rid of Tara.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 ... 40   Go Up
Print
Jump to: