Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2016 Summer Cricket  (Read 25719 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 09:40:51 »

First day of the first test of the summer today, Sri Lanka won the toss and are bowling first at Headingley. A lot of new faces in the Sri Lankan outfit, with Dilshan, Sangakkara and Jayawardene all retired, so it'll be very interesting to see how they play: other than the exemplary Angelo Matthews and Rangana Herath, it's a bag of mysteries.

James Vince makes his test debut, whilst Finn is the third seamer.

Irritatingly, I've managed to get myself into a 2pm meeting in London which will neccessitate a train at 11 and getting home around 6:30, neatly missing the entire day's play. But, on the other hand, I have just bought myself a ticket to the Sunday of the Lord's test.

Happy to have domestic/recreational cricket chat in here as well.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 11:43:43 »

Oh dear.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 11:54:46 »

Thought we'd changed to a more dynamic side? This is what it was a couple of years ago
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 12:20:14 »

Very poor shot selection again by Cook, a habit which keeps popping up to haunt him.  Compton and Root went to poor shots as well.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 12:47:47 »

Thought we'd changed to a more dynamic side? This is what it was a couple of years ago

To be fair you can only be a more dynamic side if the conditions help. If it was a nice flat pitch on a sunny day, then yes, I would hope to be scoring at a good rate.

Anyway, typical England...make a steady start... then lose 3 quick wickets.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 16:15:41 »

Decent recovery from Hales and Bairstow. Hales showing that he's more than just a pure hitter, although he still looked wobbly early on.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 19, 2016, 17:37:31 »

Good stuff from Hales and Bairstow. Less so from all the others, but if you choose to bowl on Day 1 it says a lot about the conditions. We were hardly going to rack up 300 for not many.

Compton is the one that will be scrutinised most this series. I expect he will be given a go - and when he is surrounded by positive players - you can see the rationale for having someone to drop anchor for others to play around. But, he is just incredibly, incredibly dull to watch.

Anyone who plays at 3 should be selected on the basis of being the 3 for the next Ashes. It could be Vince... and someone else popped into the middle order.

Sent from my iPhone
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 20, 2016, 17:23:09 »

91/10. Oh dear.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 16:17:26 »

Well that was bullying
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 16:36:25 »

Wow Anderson 10-45 those are some figures.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 16:38:44 »

Playing Asian sides at Headingley in May is a bit mean really when you could easily have the first game at the Oval. I get that it's home advantage but we'd be spitting feathers if we got a dead track in Galle on a day that's 45 degrees.
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 16:41:33 »

Playing Asian sides at Headingley in May is a bit mean really when you could easily have the first game at the Oval. I get that it's home advantage but we'd be spitting feathers if we got a dead track in Galle on a day that's 45 degrees.

Yep, and only two of our batsmen handled the Headingly conditions any better than the Sri Lankans.  The deciding factor was Jimmy.
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 17:00:10 »

Yep, and only two of our batsmen handled the Headingly conditions any better than the Sri Lankans.  The deciding factor was Jimmy.

And Bairstow, surely?

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 17:02:51 »

We only play the last test of the summer at the Oval. Sri Lanka might want to play in the second half, where the weather is better but normally the second half is played against the bigger draw, in this case Pakistan. Of course there was no issue when they beat us at Headingley 2 years ago...but they have no-one to replace all their big names that have retired over the last few years.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 21, 2016, 17:10:04 »

And Bairstow, surely?

He was one of the two batsmen I was referring to.  If you meant his eight catches, your mum would have taken most of those.
 Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: