Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SKY  (Read 58042 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
SKY
« on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 20:11:54 »

Getting pissed off with SKY. Too much money and I have Netflix and Amazon blah blah.

What do you good people recommend?

I have a sky dish only at the minute. Can that be used to get a signal etc?

Advice and abuse welcome!

Clems Army!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 20:22:56 »

Yeah just get a recordable freesat box for the best of free satellite tv.
If you want free tv that is. Will work fine off your current dish. Just wire it up with your current feeds and away you go.

Could keep your current sky box for basic freesat too if you don't want to spend anything. If you currently record programmes you'll lose that though with that choice.

Nothing beats sky in my opinion mind.
« Last Edit: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 20:34:00 by Arriba » Logged
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 21:02:35 »

Interested to read this as I too am getting annoyed with the costs! Am gonna call them and try and blag some new offered first but I never seem to get offered the things other people do? I'm sure I read on here so,done got it free for a year?
lambourn red

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 21:19:53 »

Get yourself an amazon fire stick for £35 and install Kodi on it
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 21:27:12 »

Interested to read this as I too am getting annoyed with the costs! Am gonna call them and try and blag some new offered first but I never seem to get offered the things other people do? I'm sure I read on here so,done got it free for a year?

Not heard of free before, maybe.

I've had 50% off last year and again this year. Can't guarantee it'll work but its worth a try.

- Make sure "mysky" has the marketing preferences on (https://secure.sky.com/mydetails "opted in to sky marketing")
- Ring up, don't fanny around, go straight to "I wish to leave sky"
- Explain that you love the service but can no longer afford it, you can mention you may go freesat/virgin.

At this point they may suggest downgrading or even offer 20-30% off

-stick to your guns and say its not cheap enough for you. Go ahead and cancel. You have to give 1 months notice so nothing will happen today
- After hanging up call, leave it 10 minutes and log into mysky. You may well have a "stay with sky, 50% off for 12 months" offer right on there. You can use livechat to take up the offer, takes about 15 minutes

If no mysky offer:
- Wait a week or two, you may get a call instead

If no call a few days before sky goes off you can either
- ring up and say you'll change your mind (if they can still give you discount if you were offered one in original call)

OR

- Actually let sky go off and wait a month or so for a postal offer. Note: No Sky+ recording/playback functionality while its off...

Its unlikely, but you may not get an offer even in the post...That's the gamble. Though I'd ring up and see if they could do anything on price even then..
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 21:28:21 »

Get yourself an amazon fire stick for £35 and install Kodi on it

Do you bother with a VPN if using Kodi (assuming its for less than kosher streaming) ? If so how/which one?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 21:34:54 »

Virgin is just the same. I only have the basic freeview channels with them but they are still putting the price up from Feb. Probably just going to keep internet with them and get an android box with Kodi on it.
lambourn red

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 21:44:18 »

Do you bother with a VPN if using Kodi (assuming its for less than kosher streaming) ? If so how/which one?

To be honest I don't bother with one , I used to use AirVPN . i don't watch Sky sports streams even though they are available but  I do tend to watch 3pm KO and the latest movies etc.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 22:12:18 »

To be honest I don't bother with one , I used to use AirVPN . i don't watch Sky sports streams even though they are available but  I do tend to watch 3pm KO and the latest movies etc.

ta. Will probably end up putting it on my firestick at some point if only because I can!

On the firestick - impressed. Even worked at travelodge the other day, detected it needed a sign in and away we go..
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 22:36:29 »

If you are a non-techie, like me, try googling: Humax Freesat HDR-1100S for a one box solution

It's like a sky+ box without sky channels (except sky news) but instead the freesat channels

It has iplayer for 5 channels or so plus youtube (which enabled me to watch a tv program no longer on iplayer the other night), Netflix and Curzon films, easy and capacious recording facilities as well as all the pause live tv stuff

I do miss sky sports and tend to rely on Now TV or streaming on my computer for one off events
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 23:36:57 »

Companies like this putting their prices up and then paying ridiculous costs for Champions League/Premier League rights. Again the paying customer is ripped off and the rich get richer
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 3, 2016, 23:37:02 »

Look up Sat Tv page on Facebook. You can buy a ZGemma S2 satellite box for £140, which will give you every single channel for free. You will need a broad band connection still to download updates for it. They also do a Virgin Cable box for £145.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 00:16:46 »

Excellent...

Clems Army!
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 00:17:34 »

Look up Sat Tv page on Facebook. You can buy a ZGemma S2 satellite box for £140, which will give you every single channel for free. You will need a broad band connection still to download updates for it. They also do a Virgin Cable box for £145.

Do I use satellite for signal?

Clems Army!
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 4, 2016, 07:44:08 »

Yes, connect the box to your exsisting Sky dish
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: