Pages: 1 ... 695 696 697 [698] 699 700 701 ... 880   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 1995580 times)
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #10455 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 09:51:29 »

It also amazes me as to how they are never held to account for their lies; they constantly make statements without being able or willing to back it up with 'real' qualitative or quantitative evidence - and the problem is there has been so much incompetence that it is difficult to remember every failure, lie and so forth.
I guess it is a mixture of people who blindly believe their BS, the fact that they seem to be untouchable & people just are fed up and let it pass

I come from a land down-under
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10456 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 10:04:53 »

It also amazes me as to how they are never held to account for their lies; they constantly make statements without being able or willing to back it up with 'real' qualitative or quantitative evidence - and the problem is there has been so much incompetence that it is difficult to remember every failure, lie and so forth.
I guess it is a mixture of people who blindly believe their BS, the fact that they seem to be untouchable & people just are fed up and let it pass
There's an element of confirmation bias as well, where people don't want to believe they have been conned. And an element of "Well, politicians always lie" so people discount it as long as they think they're getting the result they want. The Brexiteers, like Trump, have exploited that to the nth degree and just gone shit or bust for the most brazen lies, knowing it doesn't matter any more as they're not being held to account for it, but the rot started in the UK with Blair and Mandelson

One thing that would help is abandoning the parliamentary convention of not calling another politician a liar - when the lies are so blatant, they should at the very least be called out for it.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10457 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 10:15:36 »

On a wider issue what pisses me off the most is the fact that the government now lies incessantly and with impunity in parliament and nothing seems to ever happen, misleading parliament used to mean having to apologise and correct the record (and possibly resignation) but now its just the norm. No idea whether this is down to Hoyle being weak/protecting his knighthood, or some other change?
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10458 on: Thursday, September 24, 2020, 10:18:31 »

One thing that would help is abandoning the parliamentary convention of not calling another politician a liar - when the lies are so blatant, they should at the very least be called out for it.

It has gone to a minor degree, Blackford accused Johnson of lying the other week, Hoyle stepped in and suggested he withdrew the comment, Blackford did nothing of the sort, and Hoyle accepted that he had!

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10459 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:00:21 »

The former boss of Cambridge Analytica has been banned from running companies for 7 years for "permitting companies to offer potentially unethical services to prospective clients". Like rigging elections and referenda, for example.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/7-year-disqualification-for-cambridge-analytica-boss
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10460 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 10:33:17 »

I'm sure he can be a 'special advisor' though
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10461 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 11:50:31 »

Still winning I see

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54287283
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #10462 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 12:07:41 »

My industry is apparently not viable.  An awful lot of people looking at 20% grant up to £1800 thats supposed to sustain us for 3 months and crying.  What has been civil reasoned arguing for support may well become pretty uncivil soon.

Never knowingly overstated.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10463 on: Friday, September 25, 2020, 16:17:24 »

Another Brexiteer patriotically takes his fortune abroad to avoid paying UK taxes. It's almost as if they don't actually give a shit about the UK isn't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/25/sir-jim-ratcliffe-uks-richest-person-moves-to-tax-free-monaco-brexit-ineos-domicile?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10464 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 09:00:38 »

This week in Tory in all its glory...

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1310615097216315392.html
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #10465 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 09:04:44 »

Be interesting to read JRM's thought on the Popes musings..

https://twitter.com/JamesMartinSJ/status/1310382258189107202?s=20
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #10466 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2020, 09:19:03 »

irrumating, what a great word!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10467 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 06:10:14 »

So last night, the UK parliament voted to allow the government to break international law, a sorry day for the international reputation of our country. Swindon MP Robert Buckland, a QC and the Lord Chancellor (one of the highest legal offices in the country) not only broke his oath to uphold the law by voting for his but also voted against an amendment that would have required ministers to uphold the law. Apparently not something he is in favour of. The man is a disgrace to his office, his profession, his party and our town.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #10468 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 06:31:03 »

So last night, the UK parliament voted to allow the government to break international law, a sorry day for the international reputation of our country. Swindon MP Robert Buckland, a QC and the Lord Chancellor (one of the highest legal offices in the country) not only broke his oath to uphold the law by voting for his but also voted against an amendment that would have required ministers to uphold the law. Apparently not something he is in favour of. The man is a disgrace to his office, his profession, his party and our town.
Good post.  And you can add Braverman.

I'd only point out that, imo, Buckland's conduct is characteristic of rather than a disgrace to Dominic's Conservatives

Ignore
« Reply #10469 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 07:58:07 »

Both Swindon MP's regularly show themselves time and time again to be career politician's with no morals. A truly vile pair of cunts.
Pages: 1 ... 695 696 697 [698] 699 700 701 ... 880   Go Up
Print
Jump to: