Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: dashboard camera  (Read 13182 times)

Ignore
« on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 16:55:11 »

The time has come to get one fed up with all the shit on the roads and it's my living so need to cover myself too.

I know sippo has one so I'd like to know which one to buy. Obviously I want it as cheap as possible but it has to do the job as well. Fire away with any recommendations.
It will be used in different vehicles and 24 voltage as well as 12 would be advantageous.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 17:13:52 by arriba » Logged
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 17:31:26 »

Ha ha.

Take a look here. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/265346-in-car-cameras/

I have a blackvue which I have wired down the A pillar. Expensive but worth it. Möbius is a good cheap one but some people have had issues with it over heating. The thread above will help.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 17:32:53 »

PS. I know some insurance companies over a discount if they have an onboard dash cam.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Barry Scott

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 19:34:33 »

This is the one I got.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Novatek-Dashcamera-Recorder-G-sensor-Black/dp/B00IPDDAME/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1418491455&sr=8-9&keywords=dash+cam

Footage is great quality, obviously lacks features like GPS and speedo, but it's a cam and it records. It records in 3 minute files (which can be changed) and deletes the oldest files as it goes. I have a 16GB card in mine and I think that's several hours of footage. It also senses impacts and then locks the file to prevent it being recorded over.

It's nothing special, but it provides me with that little extra peace of mind. The instructions are a bit shit, but it's not the hardest thing in the world to suss out alone as the settings list isn't that big.

EDIT: Apparently there's lots of fakes kicking around so make sure it's a "Sold by EPRANCE and Fulfilled by Amazon" cam. Fuck knows why people would be faking a cheap plasticky camera that's presumably Chinese.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 19:49:20 »

Thanks gents.
I looked at those eprance ones earlier today and they did appeal due to reviews and cost. Doesn't have to be fancy just show what's going on in front of me with some decent width to it.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 20:30:35 »

Bought the e prance. Thanks again chaps.
JanTheMan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 13, 2014, 23:10:58 »

What's happened to make you want to get one? Have you got plenty of tinned food in as well?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 07:55:03 »

I think I'll get one too when I get a new motor.

Having had an accident last week where the other guy was at fault but is not admitting liability, video footage would've proved invaluable.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 11:28:36 »

Surely people need 2? One facing forward, the other back?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 12:56:35 »

I think I'll get one too when I get a new motor.

Having had an accident last week where the other guy was at fault but is not admitting liability, video footage would've proved invaluable.

What a cunt. Is he claiming your car teleported to his side of the road and back again?

I used to think that dashcams were for the paranoid self righteous. But I've changed my mind, it seems everyone is on the scam and this is a way to try and protect yourself. This is much worse.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 15:07:47 »

Ha, the amount of stick I got when I said I had one!! Now you are all at it! If anyone wants advice about installing one give me a shout. Mine is hard wired to the fuse box with wires hidden.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 15:08:28 »

Surely people need 2? One facing forward, the other back?

A lot of people do have two.

Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 15:09:39 »

What a cunt. Is he claiming your car teleported to his side of the road and back again?

I don't know what he's claiming yet, all I know is that he hasn't admitted he was at fault. I know insurers tell you not to admit liability at the scene, but I can't see how he can try and absolve himself. I hope to find out what he's told his insurance company this week.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 15:12:52 »

You got any independent witnesses?
Samdy Gray

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 14, 2014, 15:25:49 »

Unfortunately not. My word against his.

I took plenty of photos of the scene, so hopefully common sense will prevail. Although I'm fully aware that insurance firms don't live in the land of common sense.

My insurers have settled already for my write-off so it's no real biggie, just would be nice not to lose the NCB.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: